Knysna camping advice please

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Knysna camping advice please

Post by Rusti »

Hello boys and girls

We need some advice for good camp sites in Knysna PLEASE.

We were booking with Sanparks for the Knysna lakes deck camping but the chop that we were dealing with kept taking long to respond to very very basic questions so now 3 days later all sites that were available are taken.. :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Do any of you know of other good camp sites in the area? We want something fairly remote like knysna lakes. Please no mass camp sites with everyone lined up in big grass parking bays.. We want to get away from people and closer to nature if you know what I mean.. We don't mind having 2 or 3 close neighbours but not 50 lined up next to each other..

We are not kitted to be completely self sufficient so basic facilities are required. But we can definitely go without electricity like the Tankwa camp sites.

Thanks guys!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Knysna camping advice please

Post by ChrisF »

Duane phone the SAN Park number - 086 111 4845
Ask to speak to Charmaine

She sorted out accommodation for us when nobody else could (or wanted to).
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Thanks Chris. Much appreciated.

They have apologised for the trouble and took our details incase there are cancellations or deposits not paid in time.. Holding thumbs.. Looks like a GREAT spot..

I'm going to surprise the girlfriend with an elephant ride as a Christmas present at the Plettenberg elephant sanctuary.. Can't wait to see those guys up close..
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

For elephants do contact "Buffelsdrift" 7km outside of Outshoorn.

Few years back they had three juvinile elephants you could feed by hand ... what an experience !!

Charmaine managed to get us accommodation in Addo by watching the cancelations :)
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Thanks again Chris.

Plet sanctuary also has feeding available, rides and walks (you walk next to the elephants) from R260 for feeding to R950 to ride one. This is the main reason we are so excited to go to Knysna. It's expensive but it's worth it if the ride is at least 30min long.. If it's only 5min I'll have to hijack one.. They will never recognise it.. By the time I get back to Cape town it will have fluffy dice hanging from its tusks, a set of 6x9's on the saddle and plastic spinners from Game..

On a slightly more serious note we will of course be going to the Outhoorn crocodile park and cango caves. Haven't been there in 20 years.. My grandparents stayed in Calitzdorp for 10 years so we will detour through there on the way back. I use to ride my bicycle to the top of the hill and come racing down through the whole town in 30 seconds.. I use to get so bored I would even ride my bike past the neighbours house just so their dogs could chase me down the back roads.. I'm almost certain the town looks exactly the same.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Duane so you KNOW the area :)

Certainly one of the best areas in SA to visit.

We absolutely LOVE that area !!

Cango caves ... uhm ja ... barely squeezed through their in my early 20's ... wont even try it today ... hehehe ...
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Ha ha.. I'm going to have to start working out before I try squeeze through there..

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”