Vehicle Reg. papers for Namibia Kgalagadi exit

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
herman916
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Somerset West
Vehicle: KZ-TE DC 4x4

Post by herman916 »

Need some advice from the experienced guys -

We are going to Kgalagadi for a week and am considering coming back through Namibia. Unfortunately I dont have my vehicle registration papers with me and also too late to get a duplicate. After doing some research it seems like these papers are required documentation at the border (in this case Mata Mata) but after calling the border and speaking to a couple of different persons they seem quite relaxed about this specifically. I know for Mozambique it is a requirement out of experience, and am guessing for Nam as well... but do I have any other alternative options to (legally) get through the border? Has this happened to anybody else?

Thanks
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Re: Vehicle Reg. papers for Namibia Kgalagadi exit

Post by Thunder02 »

Hi Herman, from my experience, you will need those papers, the vehicle needs to be booked out/in through SARS.
You might get away with getting into Namibia, but the problem will be coming back into SA.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Herman you will be taking a chance. The Kgalagadi border post at TweeRivieren is usually pretty relaxed about registration papers and other vehicle documentation. The SAPS guys at the border need it to make sure the vehicle is not stolen, but they can usually just check on the computer system if they have the registration number of the vehicle. As I said, it is a requirement, but in the last 6 years I was never asked to produce it, and we use that border crossing quite a lot.

So, take your chances, see if they will let you go through without it. Dont pre-empt it and play dumb.. Sometimes that works. :shh: :shh:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Soos Thys sê ....

Our first border crossing - 2 guys ahead of us the border official asks to see his insurance papers .... The guy ahead of me nearly faints, he did not have his with him.

To date they never asked us for our reg or insurance papers ... not even on that day.

But then I Have a proper plastic file with all my documents ... maybe I look arganised enough that they just dont bother ...
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Since Nam's Indebedance since 1990, going to SA and back they never ask my papers, never hard they asked for Saffers' papers.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
williefBotha
Town: Gansbaai
Vehicle: Toyoya Hilux

Post by williefBotha »

Gewoonlik het ek altyd al die dokumente by my ,maar nooit het enige grenspos my dit ge vrae nie. Nie eers my vhf radio lisensie nie.By Mata Mata n paar keer deur. So ek sal n kans waag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WFBotha
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

Herman, kry by die polisie 'n verklaring - ons het dit gebruik so paar jaar terug toe ons Botswana toe was.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

I wouldn't take a chance. Always have my papers with and never been asked, but the day you don't have them with you is they day they will ask. Why ruin a great holiday with something like that...

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”