Southern Namibia Advice Please

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
jjgouws
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: Hilux

Southern Namibia Advice Please

Post by jjgouws »

We would like to explore the Southern part of Namibia and Northern Cape in August 2016. I know the Northern Cape well... will watch flowers ... (see pics), visit the Groen/Spoeg area (camp just about on the beach... see pic) and once again camp in the Richtersveld National Park... (see pic)

Is there anyone who could advise me on Southern Namibia... have only briefly driven through Southern Namibia on my way from the Mier Area to Northern Cape.

We will enter Namibia with the pontoon at Sendelingsdrift. (i) Are there any camping sites on the Namibian side of the Orange River (E.g. opposite De Hoop and Richtersberg) ? (ii) I see from posts on this site that one could drive up (short distance?) the Gamkap River bed... I saw pictures of an overhanging rock in that area. Could you camp there? (iii) Is it possible to drive in the Fish River Canyon myself? (iv) The scenery from Rosh Pinah to Aus seems to be magnificent. (v) The Canyon Roadhouse apparently provides good camping and a view on the Canyon... any other recommended camping sites in the area? (vi) We would like to visit Luderitz... haven't been there yet. The wind is apparently strong, making camping unpleasant?

In summary, we would appreciate hints on travelling from Sendelingsdrift, covering the area east of the Fish River Canyon, Canyon itself, South and West of the Canyon as well as the Luderitz area.

We set aside 14 days in total... Northern Cape and area in Namibia as mentioned.

Is there anyone who could advise us on the Namibia area... roads to travel or not to travel, how much time to set aside within the planned period, where to overnight and must sees. We have Tracks for Africa but lose our way easily.

Thank you for the privilege to be part of the Forum. If I could, I am more than willing to share any travel experiences.

Thank you very much.
Jaap
Attachments
Camping... Richtersveld Park
Camping... Richtersveld Park
Camping... Groen/Spoeg
Camping... Groen/Spoeg
Flowers... Skilpad
Flowers... Skilpad
Flowers... Groen/Spoeg Area
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Southern Namibia Advice Please

Post by ChrisF »

Welcome to the forum :)

YES, there are many camping sites. From commercial sites with facilities, to the "permit areas". You need a day permit and may then legally bush camp.

Permits can be bought at NWR - Namibian Wildlife Resources - sites. These are at places such as Ai-Ais, Sesriem (Sososvlei).

From the pont, turn right, then a few kilos further you pass over the Fishriver, short distance further there is a small board showing a 4x4 shortcut to Ai-Ais. Sure the locals may give a better description, maybe even a distance to the turn off.

ENJOY :)
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

Hi Jaap,

We camped at Ais ais, and Hobas - not bad camps, and very close (if not in !!) the FRC. You can camp at the roadhouse too.We camped at Klien Aus on the way to Luderitz, very nice spots, and then at Shark Island in Luderitz. There is protection rom the wind but it can get uncomfortable. From there we did the D707 up to Namtib, great place, amazing scenery and a brilliant campsite.

Enjoy
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

The campers at shark island in Luderitz was hiding from the wind and we opted to stay in the lighthouse. The wind is unpleasant to say the least. Rather spoil yourself with formal accommodation. Camp at Sesriem hotel. A nice stop over. Hope it helps
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Plenty of campsites covering that whole area. Drive carefully and take your time. You will see a lot and get information as you go iro campsites, just ask the locals and check camping on tracks4africa.
Camping around the Soussasvlei area can be expensive. Bethesda was not too bad, but the wind was very bad there which resulted in an unpleasant night.
Camping on shark island can have a sheltered site or two, just check wind direction. Very close to the ablutions worked for us.
Take windbreaks to shelter behind and use the body of your vehicle to full advantage.
Enjoy.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”