camera

Being out in nature you just canot help taking photographs. All of us aren't professional photographers so don't be shy to show of your pictures here. Ask questions on how to improve your photography or what camera to buy. Somebody will be able to assist you.
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: st lucia
Vehicle: hilux

camera

Post by oom dan »

morning all, game has special going canon EOS 500D with standard 18-55mm lens and 75-300mm lens for R5999-00 seams a fair price anyone with canon experience or advice
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Re: camera

Post by GI Jane »

I use Canon and have done so for a long time.....That is a very good price .... They are running a lot of specials on that particular camera because there is a 550D and a 600D that came out after that. The later models are more megapixels ie. 18.1 but 15 megapixels is already good, and that is about it... Not sure what your experience is in photography and how involved you want to get into photography but the 500D is a good camera and those two lenses will give you quite a good range the 18-55 for group shots and landscapes, and the 70 -300 for long distance, telephoto ...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Have a look on ORMS website - they have this package for R4999. :)

The ORMS stores are based in the Western Cape, but they also sell on line.
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by oom dan »

thanks for that still getting into digital have been using film for years with a Nikon F, wife has fuji fine pix mik and druk it's ok, thought if I am going to go this route get something verisatile, next step up from D500 more than double the price 7D and 5D obvisually more powerfull
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by oom dan »

val did your canons have rechargeable battery packs this fuji gobbles penlights, my old nikon is still a "mechanical" manual wind on with FP shutter the small lithium battery just for the light meter have'nt been able find out how the D500 is powered
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

That's a good price Chris
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by oom dan »

checked the ORMS price it's for the camera and 18-55mm lens only so bought one at Game comes with 75-300mm lens
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

That price was excellent for that camera, I checked around to see any better prices first... I usually have a couple of spare batteries but those rechargeable batteries last quite a while. I think they give you an idea of how many shots you can take per battery on some sites, but then it also depends on whether you use any flash and also whether your lenses have image stabilizers. I often go away for a while with no electricity around so carry 2 extra batteries per body..

I am sure you will enjoy getting to grips with digital with that camera...
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by oom dan »

will start reading the booklet plenty pages, must look for a filter to protect the lens going to the northern cape soon more than enough dust there, will give you a shout if we get jammed with these instructions thanks for the help val
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Dan CONGRATS !!

It is a lovely camera and will give you a perfect platform to learn all the modern ways of photography. :)
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Bulletjie-3 wrote:That's a good price Chris
when you go onto their web page you will find it under the section for "specials".

but I have no idea what the postage would be on such an item, and this time of the year it will be a SLOW delivery ....
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

ChrisF wrote:Have a look on ORMS website - they have this package for R4999. :)

The ORMS stores are based in the Western Cape, but they also sell on line.
Chris on the Orms special they only had the camera and kit lens for R4999 ie 18-55, the Game special included the 70-300 lens as well, which at Orms was R1800 something...

(off topic, sorry) PS did you get sorted with the radio licence story...
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by oom dan »

chris hope you get PM mail is drm.stlucia@gmail.com cheers
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Val I only got the vhf this week, and we are leaving next week ... so not enough time to get the license sorted now. Not to worry, will get it for the next trip.

Dan, sending you the email shortly. :)
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

check your email. :)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Those prices are good, especially if the lenses are IS ...... with the 18 - 55 it's not that critical, but with the telephoto it's almost a 'must'. Congrats all the same ..... very good camera.

Those battery packs last for about 900 - 1000 pics each before requiring a re-charge. I just leave a UV filter on permanently as a lens protection. Not expensive, so if it gets scratched, it's no train smash to replace it.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by oom dan »

thanks for all the help have a great festive season cheers
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

did you get the email ?
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by oom dan »

yes very good better than the booklet I owe you one thanks man
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

ENJOY :)
oom dan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by oom dan »

very chuffed with new canon D500, user friendly almost answers questions when asked!!! chris your instruction Manuel has been referred to again and again thanks man a huge help. lucky to have a spare laptop so cleaned it out and we have linked it up to camera will also carry it around with us,download as often as we like minimize accidental loss of images. have started a CD library. about to start building a house which has buggered our travel plans for a while but WTH. between canon, nikon, Olympus, sony and the rest think they're all good just the price or "deal" you get, have to say the build quality of this camera feels like it will last for years problem is the hectic pace of technical advancement stuff is obsolete before it is bought, hope to post a few pics soon.
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

I just bought a D600 a week ago, I'm really happy with it, I'm sure Canon will launch a newer model in the near future, but I don't care about that, this one do what I want it to do.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Good to hear. :)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Dan, That's an excellent camera, no matter the rate of technological advancement. I have seen pros take absolutely awesome pics with far lesser cameras, and if you're not going pro then there's very little chance that you will outgrow that Canon in a hurry. Enjoy it to the fullest!

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Jacques that's a great camera.... and more importantly it is a Cannon... It is pointless trying to keep up with the camera race, just like any other technology that is out there... as long as the camera has the features you would like at a price you can afford you have a winner. I am sure you are going to get a lot of great shots with that... As the budget allows get your self the occasional good lens. I think that is where the problem sometimes lies... People buy a great camera and then settle for less than good quality lenses and then they struggle with the quality of their shots... Enjoy it.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Thanks Val, Don't want to change the topic, But I only bought the D600 body with the I think the 18 - 55 lens. For the simple reason, as a package they usually include the "cheaper" zoom lens. Witch is nothing wrong with but I think the zoom lens don't do the body any justice. I will send you a PM later on to ask you're opinion on a zoom lens that suite the D600. If you don't mind.

Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

The best budget zoom to get is the Canon 70-300 IS USM. They're normally around R5800 new, but you get them second-hand for around R3000 - R4000. If you want to spend some more money then go for the 70-200 L glass. 4 options there, lots of $$$ though
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

jacques kotze wrote:Thanks Val, Don't want to change the topic, But I only bought the D600 body with the I think the 18 - 55 lens. For the simple reason, as a package they usually include the "cheaper" zoom lens. Witch is nothing wrong with but I think the zoom lens don't do the body any justice. I will send you a PM later on to ask you're opinion on a zoom lens that suite the D600. If you don't mind.

No problem anytime... but the kit lens is good enough to start off with..
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

Thanks Val, will send you a PM during the day!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Dodging wrote:The best budget zoom to get is the Canon 70-300 IS USM. They're normally around R5800 new, but you get them second-hand for around R3000 - R4000. If you want to spend some more money then go for the 70-200 L glass. 4 options there, lots of $$$ though
JACQUES what do you want to shoot / do with your camera ?

Lenses can turn into a horibly complex discussion .....

Something like a 18-200 or a 55-250 can be a stunning "alround" lens. Good for the stuff thats up close, and some decent reach for the far away stuff as well.

On the other extreme you prime lenses that works best for a particular distance only, BUT due to less moving parts the quality is tops.

the wider the zoom range, the more the quality trade off - as a general rule. Of course the most expensive lenses find ways around these trade offs.

ultimately it comes back to what YOU want to do with your camera, and your budget ....

The 70-300 USM lens offers remarkably good value for money.

but the 70-200 lenses seems top of the pile when it gets to quality .... with the quality improving as the price goes up ...... those with the higher F values, and non IS are a LOT cheaper. (NOTE - the 2,8 IS L Mk II is HEAVY, but what a nice piece of glass )
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by jacques kotze »

ChrisF wrote:
Dodging wrote:The best budget zoom to get is the Canon 70-300 IS USM. They're normally around R5800 new, but you get them second-hand for around R3000 - R4000. If you want to spend some more money then go for the 70-200 L glass. 4 options there, lots of $$$ though
JACQUES what do you want to shoot / do with your camera ?

Lenses can turn into a horibly complex discussion .....

Something like a 18-200 or a 55-250 can be a stunning "alround" lens. Good for the stuff thats up close, and some decent reach for the far away stuff as well.

On the other extreme you prime lenses that works best for a particular distance only, BUT due to less moving parts the quality is tops.

the wider the zoom range, the more the quality trade off - as a general rule. Of course the most expensive lenses find ways around these trade offs.

ultimately it comes back to what YOU want to do with your camera, and your budget ....

The 70-300 USM lens offers remarkably good value for money.

but the 70-200 lenses seems top of the pile when it gets to quality .... with the quality improving as the price goes up ...... those with the higher F values, and non IS are a LOT cheaper. (NOTE - the 2,8 IS L Mk II is HEAVY, but what a nice piece of glass )
I will mainly use it for close-up pics, but My brother-in-law manage a game farm in Hectorspruit, and my parents works at a lodge at Numbi gate in the Kruger N Park, so I do get a lot of opportunity for pics of game in the park and game farm. There is a Sigma I think it was a 150 - 500 zoom lens I'm interesting in, think it was in the order of R9000, Will try and find it again and post the specs.
I will start a new topic, I'm gonna get in trouble for hijacking this post :blackeye:

Return to “Photography”