Zoom lenses

Being out in nature you just canot help taking photographs. All of us aren't professional photographers so don't be shy to show of your pictures here. Ask questions on how to improve your photography or what camera to buy. Somebody will be able to assist you.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Zoom lenses

Post by Niel »

Do you know the make Tamron lenses - are any good as I know the Sigma's are not bad.

I am looking for a 70 - 300 zoom for my Nikon 3100 and I see Makro sells this lens for R1199.

The same size lense from Nikon cost R 4800 to R5500 depending where you shop.

Secondly, will you go for a 70 - 300 zoom or bigger seen as I already have the Nikon 16-55 (not really a zoom) and a 55 -200mm. Pls indicate the size make and model if you have a suggestion. O ja and price if you know
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Zoom lenses

Post by Mud Dog »

I know Canon employs image stabilising in the lens itself ... does Nikon have it on the CCD in the body or on the lens as well? A hand held zoom shot can be tricky without IS, especially in poorer light conditions. The Sigma lenses are pretty good ... don't know the Tamron brand at all.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

If you have a good quality 55-200 lens, rather buy a 2;1 OR 1.6:1 Nikon converter, it will give better images than a cheap lens.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
african dust
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Seychelles + Montagu
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 4x4 22R LTD. Land cruiser FJ60, 1981, old and tough. Prado 150 vx v6.

Post by african dust »

my experience in lenses is you generally get what you pay for. the tamron 70-300 is not a bad lens at that price but the closer you get to 300 the more the image quality will be compromised. It is fine for happy snaps, but compared to the nikon lens with better optics it will not give the same results. the biggest compromise is light and sharpness. As a general rule the 70-300, unless a top grade lens ( many thousand euro) is always a bit of a compromise.
With most things in life it is a conflict between budget and quality. my 2 cents worth.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

only Sony has "on camera" image stabilisation. The rest use IS in the lens..

Agree - rather get a converter.

sadly you get what you pay for and 1,2k for a 300mm lens is just too cheap to expect any worth while results. but then, at that price TRY it ... you should be able to take it back if it does not work, just check with Makro if you can take it back.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Thanks for the advice so far - I believe in rather buy the quality product that to have to pay twice.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Hoppy wrote:If you have a good quality 55-200 lens, rather buy a 2;1 OR 1.6:1 Nikon converter, it will give better images than a cheap lens.
Agreed. A good 2x tele-converter will give you excellent pics together with your existing lenses ... and it's a fraction of the cost. Additionally it broadens the scope of your existing lenses since you can use it on all of them. Almost a 'must have' for the amateur photographic enthusiast.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Niel

Post by Niel »

can you add a lens to the converter on the Nikon"s?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes, nit fits to the body and then the lens onto the converter, but get the Nikon one so that the body can still communicate fully with the lens. As I say, then you can use it with any of your lenses or future lens purchases. ;-)

Niel

Post by Niel »

cool and I will contact Orms
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Fitting a Tamron lens to a Nikon or Canon is like fitting a Landrover engine into a Hilux.
aev@iburst.co.za
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

My Tamron lens has an image stabilizer.

It is a very nice lens but I must agree with Matthieu , at the top zoom end you loose a bit of quality and light.
The Tamron was half the price of a Nikon lens but after a couple of months I wonder if I should not have paid the extra couple of bucks for the real Nikon thing.

I have a sigma on my Pentax, in my opinion the Tamron is better than the Sigma
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

Ek het een van daai Tamron(170 - 300) lense gekoop in Desember vir my Botswana trip. Die fotos is goed genoeg vir foto album en miskien van hulle nog beter. Dit is beter om Nikon produkte te koop as jy die geld het. As jy nie vir kompetisies wil inskryf nie is die een OK.
vonstar
Town: Jhb North
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4D 4x2 LWB

Post by vonstar »

You can't go wrong with the "VR" nikon lens. Be careful as there is a huge difference between a normal lens and a "VR" lens. The VR is the image stabalization for Nikon lens's. I paid more for my 18mm - 200mm VR lens than for the camera body itself. Tamron is good and Sigma is good but considered entry level stuff.
Check out this site http://www.kenrockwell.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Ken has loads of reveiws on all makes and sizes of cameras, lenses. flashes etc.
Hope this helps you.
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 2.7;2012 MB ML350;2016 MB C220 BLUETEC; 1999 VW GOLF 1.6; VW Caddy P/V

Post by HennieO »

Just make sure that the converter is compatible with your 55-200 VR lens. Most of Nikon's converters can only be used with the fixed aperture f2.8 lenses.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

We have some Tamron and Sigma lenses, but we are replacing them one by one with Canon L lenses, i think it's the same as the Nikon VR range.

If i can give good advice; rather save money and buy the right stuff first time.
aev@iburst.co.za
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Agree with Hoppy, get the real deal :thumbup:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Niel, hoe haastag is jy?
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

What does ED IF stand for?
See:
http://www.17photo.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=2161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Niel

Post by Niel »

Now the second question 70-300 or bigger zoom be worth wile - predominant use will wildlife pictures the ones that is really a distance away.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I see you get a 80-400 as well, but I know your professional photographers are not very fond of zoom lenses, as you loose light and depth of field the more you zoom, and image quality. But for us normal oukies a zoom works fine

I think Allen's option of a 70-300 zoom with a 2x converters sounds good.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Niel I used a 400mm (70-200 with a 2x converter) in Kgalagadi - handy, BUT I can see why the guys use 600 and 800mm lenses.

The one "pro" used a 300-800mm Sigma on a body with a crop factor of 1,3 ... thus 1040mm reach !! "only" R80k for this lens ....... You must SEE his pictures !! IF he could be bothered, 80% of his pics could make it into any National Geographic publication ! But he refuse to publish any of his stuff ..... (trust fund babies .....)
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

Problem with 2x converters is that they double your f-stop number. So if you're using the 55-200 with a 2x converter (IF you can get one that fits and works), wide open at 400mm you'll be shooting at F11 or F12. There goes your shutter speed in its dinges.

If you really want that reach of a 300mm now and can't afford the more expensive glass, get the Tamron. You'll always sell it again at a later stage and the knock you'll take will be minimal.

If you want to save up a tad, get the Nikon 70-300 VR (about R5800). Brilliant lens - I have one and I love it. Even wide open it's still sharp. Focus is achieved quickly, quietly and accurately. It is a bit more expensive than the Nikon 55-300, but it is well worth the extra cash.

I'm gonna be getting myself a used Nikon 70-200 f2.8 sometime soon with a 2x converter. Kinda looking at the 80-200 f2.8 as another option too. Even when I have this lens in my bag I doubt that I'd sell the 70-300 VR - it's just so versatile and THAT good
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Niel

Post by Niel »

Thanks Andre, jsut some feedback: The x1.4 converter (Nikons) R 4695, x1.7 (old stock)R 4700. The f-stop is impacted as Andre said. The Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Lens is R 5200.
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 2.7;2012 MB ML350;2016 MB C220 BLUETEC; 1999 VW GOLF 1.6; VW Caddy P/V

Post by HennieO »

Daar is 'n 70-300 Nikkor lens op gumtree vir R2600. MAAR dit lyk nie vir my dis 'n VR nie........
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Andre and THAT is why you use a 70-200 f2,8 IS L lens with a 2x Mk III converter .... SHARP, fast and you still have AF. :)

LOVELY combo. :) (albeit a "bit" pricey...)
Niel

Post by Niel »

What is your opinion on the Sigma 150 - 500 zoom?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Niel I have had one chance to compare the Sigma 150-500 to the 70-200 with 2x converter.

The quality of the Canon lens was markedly better - but then it was suggested that I was moving the Sigma lens while shooting.

both were at dead rest on my hand on the Hilux's mirror ....

Fact is I would have to repeat the exercise using a tripod, and remote trigger to ensure a fair comparison.

Value for money .... R12500 vs almost R 30 000 ......

the other comparison that really is worth doing is the physical size AND weight of these two. try a 7 hour shoot with no tripod ..... days later and my shoulder muscles are still hurting.

but Niel stop playing with the small stuff - get down to ORMS in Bellville. A nice second hand Canon lens for an absolute steal at R43k !! 400mm prime lens f2,8. imagine putting that 2x converter onto this and then onto a 7D = 1280mm at f5,6 ...... (as ek net meer spasie voor in die Hilux gehad het)
Niel

Post by Niel »

Thanks I hope the ones for Nikon is a bit cheaper :lol: Pitty they do not give you the options to test before you buy
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Niel where do you shop ??????

At ORMS you CAN test it - okay only out on the street front, but bring your tripod and TEST it. (and if your HR does a monthly transfer on your behalf to ORMS you get to test stuff off the premises ... well some stuff .....)

Niel maybe it is time I introduce you in person to Lundi at ORMS in Bellville.

PS - they DO have a brand new Sigma 150-500 for the Nikon in stock, box still sealed in plastic. At least they did yesterday .....

PPS - did I mention my office window looks out onto ORMS ? NOT good !!!!!!!
Niel

Post by Niel »

Chris, I visited you in your office so I know how close you are to ORMS :lol:

I will definately pop in at ORMS during next week. I bought my other cameras from ORMS in town but I don't know the Bellville one.

My brother does have a Sigma but not the 150 - 500.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Speak to Lundi (black chap) or Fritz (young white chap with glasses and freckles)

I do all my business with Lundi, but sadly he is so popular that often you wait an hour plus to speak to him ....

Fritz is also good, in fact for the software stuff Lundi calls Fritz over to assist me.

What I am finding now is that for flash remotes, shrimps, light stands, back drops etc ORMS cant assist me. Now I am driving between Cameraworld and Studio22 .... neither has everything I want, so now I am buying bits here and bits there .... and this for a guy that spens 8 hours a day within 20m of a camera shop.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

update on the SECOND HAND 400mm prime lens - seems at R43k it was on the shelf for only a few days .....

was at ORMS today, first to drop of files to be printed, then to collect it - they are BUSY !!
Niel

Post by Niel »

Chris ek kyk toe op gumtree om te sien wat die lense voor gaan en loop toe die eenetjie raak
http://capetown-westerncape.gumtree.co. ... Z361674853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Date Listed 19/04/2012
Last Edited 22/04/2012
Price R 50,000
Address Kenilworth, Cape Town, South Africa
For Sale By Owner
Sigma 800mm lens, 2nd hand never been used. Purchased in December 2011. Includes protective carry bag. Still under warranty. Contact Natasha

I am not Rockefeller I am the other-feller :laugh2:
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

Ek het hierdie naweek 2 lense gehuur. Die een was n 70-200 f2.8 en die ander n 200-400 f4. Daai 200-400 is iets anders... Ek sal egter nooit een koop nie - met R75,000 kan ek baie ander dinge doen
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Niel wrote:Chris ek kyk toe op gumtree om te sien wat die lense voor gaan en loop toe die eenetjie raak
http://capetown-westerncape.gumtree.co. ... Z361674853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Date Listed 19/04/2012
Last Edited 22/04/2012
Price R 50,000
Address Kenilworth, Cape Town, South Africa
For Sale By Owner
Sigma 800mm lens, 2nd hand never been used. Purchased in December 2011. Includes protective carry bag. Still under warranty. Contact Natasha

I am not Rockefeller I am the other-feller :laugh2:

As sy die 300-800mm gehad het ...... behoort so tussen 30 en 40k te kos TWEEDE hands ....

maar ons kom net te min in die parke om dit te regverdig !

PS - so twee maande terug sien ek n vrou in ORMS. Sy koop toe n 400mm CANON lens, R124k !! "She likes bird photography" (klink net SO verkeerd in Afrikaans...) Toe koop haar man vir haar die lens ....
Niel

Post by Niel »

wow net R124 k
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

die prys is een ding .... die traak my nie agtigte houding "ek kan dit dalk gebruik" het my onder gekry !!

Sy wil "Bird in flight" afneem. HOE di dinges gaan jy so n SWAAR lens rond swaai om "Birds in flight" af te neem !!

maar dan nou weer - jy moet eendag kom sit en kyk watter karre stop by ORMS !! Baie van daai mense betaal meer vir n stel bande as wat ek en jy bereid is om te spandeer aan kameras ..... o-ja, paar MOOI 4x4's wat daar stop ook !!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Sjoe.Dis groot geld.
En ek sukkel om 9k uit te haal vir 'n 600d + lense :alvarin:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Niel

Post by Niel »

die ouens maak my bang as hulle sulke geld kan uithaal vir toerusting en soos jy se met so n houding
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Chris wrote:PS - so twee maande terug sien ek n vrou in ORMS. Sy koop toe n 400mm CANON lens, R124k !! "She likes bird photography" (klink net SO verkeerd in Afrikaans...) Toe koop haar man vir haar die lens ....
Dit moet vreeslikke klein voels wees wat sy afneem. :think:

:twisted:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

george wrote:Sjoe.Dis groot geld.
En ek sukkel om 9k uit te haal vir 'n 600d + lense :alvarin:
nee wat George, ek verloor nie slaap oor wat ander koop nie.

en ek maak nie skuld vir speelgoed nie !
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/23/nik ... on-lenses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vir die wat ietsie langer soek .....
Niel

Post by Niel »

Chris, kry toe n goeie tweedehanse 30 -700 by ORMS so ek hou more stil daar voor jou kantoor venster
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

mooi so. :)

Saterdag het ek bietjie met n fish eye gespeel. MENS dit is nou n interesante speel ding ! Maar darem net te duur vir lens wat mens so min sal gebruik.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Ek is seker n mens kan die lense inbring teen die helfte goedhoper as wat dit in SA verkoop
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Niel wrote:Ek is seker n mens kan die lense inbring teen die helfte goedhoper as wat dit in SA verkoop
en wat sê Pieter ...
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Toe nie, die wins daarop is redelik klein, jy bespaar s 20% as jy dit in Dubai koop, maar dan moet jy dit in die land kry en jy koop hom sonder waarborg.
Ek koop maar op gomboom.
aev@iburst.co.za
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Ek het met pieter gepraat toe hy in Sjina was en hy het dieselfde gese.Ons pryse is nie te rof nie.

So van die os op die jas.Wil julle manne en manninne wat weet hoe nie 'n lekker fotodag reel nie.Dan wys julle ons noobies hoe om ons tools te gebruik :beg:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Niel

Post by Niel »

nice idee George
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Die wins op kamera toersuting in SA is baie klein
Soos Allan sê, jy gaan dalk 20% spaar, courier betaal en 'n produk sonder 'n waarborg he. Plekke soos Nikon gaan nie eers aan jou kamera werk as iets foutgaan nie.

Ek het nou weer pryse gekry vir Nikon 28-300 lens, maar ek moet ten minste 20 lense vat en dan kry ek dit voor courier teen 30% beter as hier.

As jy rondsoek in Suid Afrika gaan jy baie na aan die regte pryse kry
Kyk by http://www.photosa.co.za/camerashop/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is so paar winkels wat se pryse nie te slegs is nie
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

George Google bietjie vir Grant Atkinson

Die ou MAG MAAR !!

Hy woon hier in Kuilsrivier, en is beskikbaar vir opleiding. Ek het juis laas by hom die Lightroom kurses gedoen.

Ek sal bietjie met hom gesels oor opleiding - ek en hy gaan juis Donderdag middag n paar fotos neem.

PS - my persoonlike ervaring is dat die tipe opleiding heeltemaal anders is vir elke persoon ! As jy so min soos ek weet en jy begin van scratch af is dit baie beter om n langer kurses by te woon - iets soos wat Shutterbugs aanbied. Vyf aande, versprei oor vyf weke - met huiswerk tussen in. Die huiswerk is NOODSAAKLIK om regtig te LEER/OEFEN. Maar as jy iets weet van fotografie en net n paar uur soek met n spesialis wat jou kan wys hoe om die beste uit jou DSLR te kry kan ek nie aan iemand beter dink as Grant nie.

Een van Grant se fotos - hy is al vir meer as 12 jaar n toergids
Attachments
GrantAtkinson-MalaMala_G011219.jpg
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Sjoe dis 'n stunning foto daai :clap:

Hoor wat jy se.Ek weet niks en sal like om by julle kers op te steek.Ek is net nie lus om in 'n klas te gaan sit nie :alvarin:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

George wat se kamera het jy ?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

george wrote:So van die os op die jas.Wil julle manne en manninne wat weet hoe nie 'n lekker fotodag reel nie.Dan wys julle ons noobies hoe om ons tools te gebruik
Ons kan so n dag reel, ek sal met my vrou en anti Val praat, hulle is mos die Canon xperts, ek sal saam gaan met my mik en druk.

My seun wil gaan speel by dirt en dust, miskien kan ons dit sommer saam doen?
aev@iburst.co.za
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Ek is in - wil nog altyd vir Val ontmoet.

Juis die wat ek vra wat se kamera George het - ek is ook n Canon man
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Dis reg, die sondag is moedersdag, miskien volgende sondag?
aev@iburst.co.za
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Jis dit sal great wees.

Chris ek het die canon 600D gekry met sy 3x lense.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

George ek het ook n bietjie elektroniese materiaal vir die 550D.

Bring jou laptop saam as jy belangstel ....
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

ChrisF wrote:George ek het ook n bietjie elektroniese materiaal vir die 550D.

Bring jou laptop saam as jy belangstel ....
:thumbup: Ek sal vir ons 'n paar wors rolle organize. Klink al weer lekker :yahoo:

Return to “Photography”