video format for DVD player

Being out in nature you just canot help taking photographs. All of us aren't professional photographers so don't be shy to show of your pictures here. Ask questions on how to improve your photography or what camera to buy. Somebody will be able to assist you.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

video format for DVD player

Post by ChrisF »

I use Sony Movie Maker 9 HD to edit my video clips. This is then output as .avi format.

I now want to write this to DVD for a friend who wants to view this on his DVD player.

QUESTION -
What format should the video be in for viewing on a DVD player ?
What conversion software do you recommend for this ?

PIETER - het jy nie nou die dag met die goed gespeel nie ?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: video format for DVD player

Post by george »

Hi Chris. All the newish DVD players can view avi format.

If not then you can use something like Nero to convert it to DVD. i am pretty sure that Sony will also be able to do this.
when you convert it to DVD it is not a single file.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Chris, for the sake of compatibility it's best to author and encode your video in standard DVD format. There are many software solutions that will read the avi file and then convert and write it to DVD video format. I found a free option here:

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi ... vdDownload" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your friend has a newer generation DVD player that supports DivX media playback then you can just save the avi files to a data CD or DVD. He should then be able to play it back on his DVD player. But this is not fool proof, so standard DVD video format remains the best option.

Your Sony video software may well have an "author to DVD" option built in.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Agree with Bretton .... I very recently bought a new player that's supposed to read everything, and for the most part it does, but there are still the odd codecs that it doesn't recognise. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Dankie manne

lets live dangerously ... avi it is going to be .....
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I suspect a little laziness... :twisted:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Mr_B wrote:I suspect a little laziness... :twisted:
:oops: :oops:

Every now and then I manage to talk myself into stuff ....

We had a STUNNING long weekend in Baviaans with the 4WD Club. On Sunday night I walked the camp with my laptop and got everybodies pictures and videos. The idea was to make a nice compilation, and then share it with everybody at the clubs next GTG.

Nice idea.

and everybody agreed ....

and THEN they reminded me that the next GTG is THIS Friday !!

Got home LATE on Tuesday.

Wednesday night I got most of the pics sorted.

Last night the rest of the pics took more time than expected, then to start with the videos .....

Finally got it all sorted just before 10:00

Still want to do another video, including the still pictures into a single video.

Now I need to leave early today to still go and make the copies for tonight ..... And still want to try Lightscribe as well (have not used it on my new pc)

JA - JA - WEET ek het nou nog n lat gepluk vir myself !! :blackeye: :blink:

Sal die fotos hier ook laai.

MAAR, ek soek nou hulp met Youtube - ek het n STUNNING stukkie video wat ek wil laai ... :laugh2: :cooldude: :tease: :bye: :taunt: :lmao: :dance1: :yahoo:

PS - het Maandag saam met die 4x4Community groep gekuier by Oesterbaai. BAKGAT groep mense ! :thumbup:

Return to “Photography”