Some Me time

Being out in nature you just canot help taking photographs. All of us aren't professional photographers so don't be shy to show of your pictures here. Ask questions on how to improve your photography or what camera to buy. Somebody will be able to assist you.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Some Me time

Post by GI Jane »

Okay so I have had a stream of visitors since 25th November... and for 3 days I have some me time before my house is swamped again.. and had a bit of time to get some shots in and spend some time behind my computer... ie of course while Francisco was screaming like a girl and Riana was driving like a superstar.... Well done Riana...

Made my way down the road to the beach on a very overcast, fairly windfree day... which of course has been rare recently.. Was'nt too sure that there would be enough light coming through the clouds to get anything worthwhile... but I had got up at 4.30am to get the shots, so I was going to try my best.. Some old guy that walks the beach early every morning was'nt convinced the light was strong enough to get any shots... he almost convinced me of that much initially, anyway I was up and dressed and was'nt going to be able to go back to sleep anyway..
Strand beach.jpg
(119.48 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
I noticed that there was some nice reflections coming through as the water recedeed, so zoomed in closer to get the reflections
Strand beach reflections.jpg
(125.2 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
Facing the other direction, very soft light
Strand image.jpg
(123.33 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
and then I decided to pump the image up a bit on the computer
Strand pumped up.jpg
(168.9 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
The tide was coming in and I liked the effect of the wave breaking over the pipe, just had to wait for a small break in the clouds for some light and the wave to break over the pipe at the same time
Strand wave effect.jpg
(147.51 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
I'm still a sucker for black and white and having spent most of my time working in black and white film, still see lots of images in black and white in my mind...
Strand wave effect B&W.jpg
(178.97 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
Wanted to capture the effect of the water as it broke against the pipe
pipe wave.jpg
(125.84 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
Thought there was good texture and colour contrast for it to work in Black and white
pipe wave B&W.jpg
(135.92 KiB) Downloaded 1300 times
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Re: Some Me time

Post by GI Jane »

Okay so as I said, the light was very soft so some of the photo's had an almost natural monotone to them...
Strand beach soft image 1.jpg
(138.04 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
so then totally monotone...
strand beach soft image 1 B&W.jpg
(145.14 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
okay and of course with software available to pump it up..
Strand beach soft image pumped up.jpg
(170.53 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
That evening the clouds had moved on, the wind had increased somewhat, almost enough to blow my tripod over with my camera on it... but I'm not a fairweather camper either..
Strand Beach.jpg
(134.08 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
and then after a bit of work on the computer...
Strand beach creative colour.jpg
(147.78 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
and a lot later the sun was really low in the sky, much slower shutter speeds, and about the time I wished I had brought the dogs down to the beach with me, because it was pretty isolated...
Strand beach sunset.jpg
(143.81 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
I softened the image a bit on the computer to get a slightly more silky effect
Strand beach sunset soft.jpg
(138.97 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
And then last of all, in black and white
Stand beach sunset B&W.jpg
(168.05 KiB) Downloaded 1297 times
In spite of the fact that I have lost that awesome colour, loved the contrast in the shot....
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Nicely done there Val....
To God be the glory
Taljaag
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3D4D

Post by Taljaag »

Nice pics

Life is Easy.....! It's the freakin' people that make it difficult!
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

a Gift. Shared. Thanks.
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks....
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Awsome pics from a very talented Lady.Thanks for sharing them with us.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Val VERY nice !!

Your post editing - Lightroom or Photoshop, or both ?? Would love to put pic 2 (and a few others) through Photoshop - make a duplicate layer ... dark gloomy clouds on the one, bring out the light in the sand and water in the other, then use the gradient filter to blend this lot ....
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Go big Chris....Programme, CS5 with lots of added plugins....
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

I take it you used the Mk3 for these. It is just EXCELLENT in low light. :)
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Actually, no Chris, still the 7D... Still just messing around with the MK3, testing the functions and focus settings on the before I shoot freely with it.... mostly use a tripod and remote switch for low light shots for landscapes so can get them pretty sharp with minimum camera shake on the 7D... Yes I believe that the 5D is very impressive in low light... Still ploughing through the instruction manual and testing the functions and settings. I know, it sucks, that I read manuals, Allan's wife Suzette has threatened to take the camera off me if I don't hurry up and use it... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

even worse when people dont read and then never know about the new functions ....
Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Really really nice :thumbup: I love the first photo of the reflections.
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Chris I downloaded a pdf manual for the 5D from http://www.dojoklo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; quite inexpensive, not sure if you have one, other than the Canon manual.. I got one for the 7D and he explains the functions and options very well,... I agree it's pointless to have a highly capable camera and use only the auto settings ...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks for the feeback.....
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice pics val! :thumbup: Must say that I'm also partial to some black & white pics, depending on the composition of course. Must also add that I'm a lazy photographer .... have tri-pods and wireless remote, but rarely take the time to set up a shot and use them. :shifty:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Val silly question - but just in case .... Did you see the "shortcut" booklet in the 5D box ?

In your 5D box there is a LOT of stuff, book CD's, warrantee cards etc etc. AND a SMALL "booklet", HANDY shortcut to the functions on the 5D !!
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

ChrisF wrote:Val silly question - but just in case .... Did you see the "shortcut" booklet in the 5D box ?

In your 5D box there is a LOT of stuff, book CD's, warrantee cards etc etc. AND a SMALL "booklet", HANDY shortcut to the functions on the 5D !!
Ummm no... will look for it... anyway Chris think about it, there aint any shortcuts in life, like there aint no such thing as a free lunch.. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: just teasing you, will have a look at it.. thanks...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

jip, no short cuts. But HANDY to keep in your camera bag, just in case you cant remember where to find that specific function. :)
ROOFER
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

wow :!: :!: thanks Val those pics are absolutely stunning :!: :!: indeed talent shared .
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Thanks for sharing the awesome pics with us. I won't ask again if you give lessons :blushing: :surrender:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks... Always willing to share what information I can...
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Thanks Vak, one day our paths shall cross. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Fantastic pics Val ,only one problem now i miss my old home :clap:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: '99 2.7i Hilux 4x4 S/C

Post by yotaman »

Stunning pics Val. My favourite here is no 4 from the top
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks guys. Took a walk along the beach today minus camera... silly move, and another beautiful mountain, cloudy, very low tide, should have had camera with type of day....
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

While sitting having an evening braai at our place up on the Hogsback, the moon appeared on the horizon. I thought the scene would make a great pic with the mountain peak in the middle-ground .... only issue was that I was unprepared, ..... the camera was handy but the tripod was too far off and the moon was rising fast. With no time to set up a tripod I pinned my hopes on a wide aperture and a 800 ISO.

Knowing that both would negatively affect the pic (almost no depth of field and graining), I steadied the camera as best I could and snapped off a couple of shots. The results were poor as expected, but what was intriguing was the silhouetted shape of a couple of blue-gum trees in the foreground ....... looked like a giant doing a 'kiba dachi' karate stance on the horizon.

The first pic was grainy and had some movement blur ..... not enough exposure to show the composition in the rest of the frame.
IMG_8205.JPG
(8.41 KiB) Downloaded 1044 times

Instead of taking the time to go and fetch the tripod, I messed about with a couple of different settings, hoping for some better shots. By the time I had taken this one, the moon had already risen quite a bit and being partly obscured by some cloud, I was no longer concerned with detail on the moon surface. This was when I got the intriguing 'kiba dachi' stance shot.
IMG_8217.JPG
(11.73 KiB) Downloaded 1044 times

Val, some advice here? The lens I had with me was elected for general photography, a 3.5 18-200 zoom. A bit too slow for those kind of shots, but my son had a few more lenses in his bag, so the next night we set up in advance with his camera and took a few more. will post some of his shots once I download off his camera. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Andy the moon is surprisingly BRIGHT, especially a full moon. And people often underestimate the "speed" of the moon.

I normally start playing with these settings:
ISO 100
T = 1/125
F = 14 Depending on the photo detail, play with the f value.

Obviously you can go aster if you increase the apparture, as I said these are good starting values, from here I play depending on the conditions.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Zoom lenses tend to have higher F stops and are slower. But you need slower to take in more details from the scene, but Andy keep your tripod handy... Faster shutter speed you are going to get the light source and silhouette or no detail in the scene...

Thanks for the shots, would love to see the others...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Took these shots in June at about 8.30 at night, and because I wanted to get a bit more details from other light sources, reflection off the water, and clouds had a slow shutter speed. Set my camera at f16, iso 6400..
The first shot was 4 sec, less detail in the foreground and darker water
2012Feb06_0453.jpg
(85.44 KiB) Downloaded 1036 times
The next shot was at 8 sec
2012Feb06_0455.jpg
(89.26 KiB) Downloaded 1036 times
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Must say Andy, I like that bit of detail that is creeping in in the second shot of yours, and for a handheld shot, its great...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Yoh! Nice shots Val!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Like I said, if you're prepared to dis[pose of Lunar detail, you can get most of the other stuff .... the clouds help to 'diffuse' the edge of the moon so that the movement is less noticeable.

Ja look, I know that zooms are slower .... unless you have some seriously big sheets lying about to play with, but that's again more for the pro that can justify that kind of outlay. I'm merely an amateur, and don't have enough resources to divert into lenses that run anywhere from about 10k to 80k a pop. I fully understand that the glassware makes a huge difference, but I'm still running a 450D body that's already way outdated ...... the CCD is pathetic by comparison to the newer stuff, and already starts graining at ISO 400 in poor light.

The catch 22 is that when you try to arrest movement, the only way is with a fast shutter which means you need more light or higher ISO, .... the wider you open the F the poorer the focus in depth and the higher the ISO the poorer the quality (graining).

I suppose there is no way around it .... the expensive equipment is needed for this type of shot.

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Hear what U saying Andy... Yes, good equipment and glass obviously can help a lot, but have also seen shots with all the best equipment that are terrible. Technology increases at such a rapid rate that to keep up with it is mostly only for the wealthy of wealthy, and not too many of those around.... Art is subjective and even when you break all the rules it can be beautiful.... so just try to use what I have to the best of my ability, I know some will love it and others will hate it... That's the nature of the beast...

C'mon where's those other shots... really enjoy others photographs..

Also wanted to add that there is such amazing software out there, that reduces a lot of problems in photographs, noise, sharpening etc..
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OK, I'll just lump them on ..... you can crit them. Some we messed about a bit by 'painting' the foreground with a torch and / or remote flash.

Before the moon crested the horizon .......

DSC_0329.JPG
(19.15 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
DSC_0331.JPG
(12.28 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
DSC_0333.JPG
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 622 times

..... and then as it rose .......

DSC_0340.JPG
(12.22 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
DSC_0341.JPG
(15.19 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
DSC_0350.JPG
(16.99 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
DSC_0363.JPG
(21.79 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
DSC_0380.JPG
(14.8 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
DSC_0382.JPG
(19.2 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
DSC_0385.JPG
(17.87 KiB) Downloaded 622 times

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Hi Val, what is the name of the software which you use to edit u're pics?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Andy.... Just love with digital being able to take quite a few photo's to be able to do comparisons and seeing the differences. I have little experience with night photograpy, but I love the ones where you painted in some light on the trees....it balances the light coming from the moon for me, and my eye wants to move around the photo more.

Pieter I use CS5 and have quite a number of plugins, where I think photoshop is not really up to scratch, like photomatix for HDR, Silverefex for black and white, and noiseware for noise reduction..
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Val do you use Lightroom ?? Much better suited for the typical exposure slider type editing - especially for a large number of photos.

Worth noting that the correct name is Adobe PHOTOSHOP Lightroom. And the secret is in the NAME. Lightroom is part of the Photoshop family of software. BOTH use the SAME "engine" when doing slider type corrections to a photo. The difference is that Photoshop started out life as a graphic desing package. Whereas Lightroom was "made" (extracted from Photoshop) specifically for slider type photo editing, AND they added a lot of filing/catalogue/key word functions to Lightroom.

BUT if you want to clone out a dust spot, add a sea bird into a photo, etc etc then Lightroom is NOT up to it !! Now you are moving over to graphic design. Similarly, W&B photo with colour painted back into a portion of the photo is graphic design, ie Photoshop.

I use Lightroom on all my photos, and only use Photoshop when I want to do some "graphic design"

For a newbie Lightroom is also a LOT easier to work with !!

Val if the photographic side of the Hilux club do take of we can consider a weekend trip to the Cederberg - with the aim on night time photography. :) :)

PS - I am working on a set of key notes for night time photography, ie full moon, landscape photos by moon light, star trails (both single long exposure and multiple short exposures to be stacked) .... now if I spend less time on the forum I can maybe get this done ...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Sounds great... Yes think we need to do a photographic and 4x4 weekend, because there are quite a few photographers in our area... would be fun... Will chat to Allan see what we can put together...

Return to “Photography”