Painting with light

Being out in nature you just canot help taking photographs. All of us aren't professional photographers so don't be shy to show of your pictures here. Ask questions on how to improve your photography or what camera to buy. Somebody will be able to assist you.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Painting with light

Post by GI Jane »

So while some of the guys are playing with regulators, batteries, solar panels, dc to dc chargers etc... all too much for me, I decided to start playing with flash, light boxes, the wet weather demanded an indoors shoot..... Mrs Hoppy was throwing out some sunflowers I think she photographed to death :cooldude: :cooldude: , I grabbed them and took them home... Mr Hoppy asked me if I was depressed, taking home dead flowers... duh :naah: :naah: :naah: .. but I was looking for the distressed look of some sunflowers... Amazing the effect of playing with light... I purposefully chose a textured backing wall so that I could assess the impact of the shadows as I moved flashes and light boxes around... I used a 7d and a 100mm macro lens, and canon flash speedlights indoors... and of course added some b&w...

oops sorry need to resize...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Painting with light

Post by ChrisF »

ag nee antie ...

son het lankal gesak, kan nie nou met die solar speel nie ..... nou sit ek net en wag vir die pikkies ....
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

2013Feb08_0017.jpg
(116.36 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times
2013Feb08_0017b&w2.jpg
(119.97 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times
2013Feb08_0024.jpg
(87.46 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times
2013Feb08_0024b&w.jpg
(79.65 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times
2013Feb08_0066.jpg
(147.41 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times
2013Feb08_0066b&w.jpg
(110.28 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times
2013Feb08_0125.jpg
(116.56 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times
2013Feb08_0125b&w.jpg
(98.54 KiB) Downloaded 1490 times
I don't think the last 2 photo's work at all.. I had the light behind the flowers, lighting the wall behind them and the texture is over done, expecially in the b&w one..

Anyway that's my van Gogh impression for the weekend, I definitely will not me chopping my left (or is it right) ear off... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice pics Val ..... always enjoy a little experimentation myself. Not such a big CGI fan, prefer the naturally captured look. :D:

Oh BTW, those flowers lasted awfully long ...... from 2012 till 2013!!! :lol: :lol:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Andy, a bit clueless with flash, think I slept though those studio lectures, and also found the old flashes seriously difficult to work with when I used film. Seems the technology is less complicated or maybe I grew a few more brain cells since then.. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: ...
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Yeah, flashes much easier to work with nowadays ....don't have to refer to those little tables that used to be printed on the rear of the flash. And the wireless remote units are great for side lighting or depth.

Anyway, that still doesn't explain why some of those pics (all the same subject matter) are dated 2012 and others dated 2013? .... did you do this at midnight on New Years Eve instead of partying!?? :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

They still look depressing and dead, thought you would photoshop them alive.

Nice pics, like the third from last
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Val vertel so bietjie meer. Watter flashes het jy gebruik ? Hoeveel flashes? Watter triggers ?

het jy ETTL gebruik, of oorgegaan full manual op die flash ?
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Sorry was lost in the moment when I was playing on the computer and got my years muddled, luckily I did'nt have them in 2015, then I would seriously have lost the plot... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Will change them, thanks anyway for the observation.... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Last edited by GI Jane on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

ChrisF wrote:Val vertel so bietjie meer. Watter flashes het jy gebruik ? Hoeveel flashes? Watter triggers ?

het jy ETTL gebruik, of oorgegaan full manual op die flash ?
I've got 2x 600EX-RT and the ST-E3-RT trigger, and a soft box. Used one flash in the soft box on a light stand, on the flowers, had some sidelighting from a window, and moved the other flash around, using bounced and then to force some different shadows at angles on the flowers. Just wanted to experiment with different lighting setup... Ek het baie foto's geneem net n paar opgesit, maar het ETTL en manual, ook rondgespeel met die flash exp comp. op verskillende flashes..
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

nog so paar goed om mee te speel ....

- op ETTL, stel die flash power ...

- "Gels" ....

off-camera flash is sekerlik n veld vir die kunstiges .... :)
Polarbear2008
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Nicely done Val!

The light technique makes a big difference to photos! Softer light tends not to destroy the detail or texture of the photo, where straight light will wash out the colours and obliterate the detial, as you no doubt found when you tried different approaches!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I think those flowers need a bit of Sunshine D
To God be the glory
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Hey Cassie, I still have them in a vase without water, going to do another van Gogh impression when they are even more crumpled... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

GI Jane wrote::laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Hey Cassie, I still have them in a vase without water, going to do another van Gogh impression when they are even more crumpled... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
And who said dead flowers aren't pretty anyway :D: :thumbup:
To God be the glory
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

Hi Tannie Val daai flashes het daai blommetjies moeg gemaak shame kyk net hoe hang hulle.... :mocking: :mocking:

Goed om altyd iemand te sien wat hulle toerusting ten volle gebruik...mooi phodies :thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

GI Jane wrote::laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Hey Cassie, I still have them in a vase without water, going to do another van Gogh impression when they are even more crumpled... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Did this ever materialise? :D:

Beautiful full moon again last night .... Looked awesome when magnified as it rose .... we were out visiting and I found myself wishing I had my camera and tripod. When we returned home some time later it was high in the sky and I found myself peering at it through the thick foliage of a fan palm. The urge to go get the camera was overwhelming. Now a camera doesn't lie exactly, but it also doesn't process light like our eyes and grey matter, so even with a bit of experimenting, I was unable to do justice to the visual experience. This is the closest I could come to capturing the "fairy lights" as the light reflected off the shiny leaves.

IMG_8680.JPG

One of the problems I was having was focus ..... too dark to see nicely (fir me anyway) and the auto was unable to pick it up either. That coupled with the foliage moving in the light breeze left me with a rather 'soft' result. I'm certain that the 'bulb' exposure without a remote shutter release would have produced some 'shake' as well.

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Hi Andy, sorry been very, very busy WORKING, with still lots to do. But a moment for photography. What I do when it is very dark and I am having a problem auto-focusing, is I shine torch light on the area of focus when relatively close and then autofocus initially and then switch to manual focus to fine tune it manually. Then I leave it on manual focus because then it is correctly focused turn off the torch light and take the shot... light breeze always a pain, and a tripod irritating but follows my camera bag wherever.

Managed to get to the beach late yesterday afternoon with a camera for some shots of the fog lifting during sunset, and when I get a moment will load a few dramatic ones...

The sunflowers had lost all their petals by the time I had a chance to take some more shots and they looked pitiful so I allowed them to go where all sunflowers that have had their day go... :cooldude: :cooldude: :cooldude:

Back to the grindstone for now...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

First some quick shots.. from last night
Strand sunset 1.jpg
(68.64 KiB) Downloaded 1270 times
Strand sunset 2.jpg
(64.06 KiB) Downloaded 1270 times
Strand sunset 3.jpg
(35.24 KiB) Downloaded 1270 times
Strand sunset 4.jpg
(59.05 KiB) Downloaded 1270 times
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Wow, the swirl of those clouds really is dramatic. Love the first 2 shots best. I'm thinking you must have a pretty fast lens to achieve a fast enough shutter speed to "freeze" the water and the person silhouette in that diminished light. Really nice pics! :thumbup: :thumbup:

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Thanks Andy. I have found that the 5diii is amazing in low light. I also played around with the ISO so that I could have a faster shutter speed in some of the low light. When I arrived at the beach and the mist/fog rolled in I thought I was wasting my time down there, but I saw there was bright sunlight down Gordons Bay way so I decided to hang around and see if the fog lifted and patience paid off.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ja look, if you're not professionally involved in photography it's not worth the cost of the upper range equipment .... problem is that no sooner have you bought something that's decent and above entry level, when newer tech products emerge ... a bit like computers. When I bought my 450D it was a pretty decent unit but if I go above 400 ISO the pics start getting grainy, and I don't have any fast lenses that could compensate either. Boils down to cost and priorities for me .... just wish I could afford to upgrade.

optirite
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort Dam
Vehicle: 1993 80 Series Land Cruiser (3UZ-VVTi)
Club VHF Licence: J91

Post by optirite »

Painting with light ... at Kubu Island, Botswana.
Attachments
DSC_0923a.small.jpg
(110.92 KiB) Downloaded 1165 times
Image kiss kiss
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Beautiful! The rural night skies are always bright and fascinating. Love the three sets of baobabs. :thumbup: :thumbup:

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Wow!!! Mike that looks amazing... did you take that?
optirite
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by optirite »

GI Jane wrote:Wow!!! Mike that looks amazing... did you take that?
Yip.
Another
Attachments
DSC_0921a.s.jpg
(72.54 KiB) Downloaded 1132 times
Image kiss kiss
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

what light did you use to light up the foreground and boababs? Love the shots..
X-Dors
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Pajero Sport 3.2

Post by X-Dors »

Pragtige fot's Val gaan ook so n bietjie op n reendag speel . hier is n paar wat ek met my Nikon se selective colour funksie op n trou mee gespeel het.En by Klein Tafelberg geneem het
Attachments
DSC_0098.JPG
DSC_0098.JPG (151.11 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
DSC_0175.JPG
DSC_0175.JPG (205.12 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
DSC_0172.JPG
DSC_0172.JPG (157.54 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
DSC_0132.JPG
(92.19 KiB) Downloaded 1117 times
DSC_0131.JPG
DSC_0131.JPG (89.91 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
DSC_0104.JPG
DSC_0104.JPG (171.5 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Great shots Kobus, Thanks. I also love playing around with bringing some color back into a black and white shot to give it some emphasis.. That thick sand at Klein Tafelberg, brings back memories, of Hoppy co-driver, telling me to put foot and keep it flat.. some hair raising thick sandy corners, sliding out all over the place :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: was great fun though..
optirite
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by optirite »

GI Jane wrote:what light did you use to light up the foreground and boababs? Love the shots..
1x 4cell maglite torch.
Image kiss kiss

Return to “Photography”