Canon SX60

Being out in nature you just canot help taking photographs. All of us aren't professional photographers so don't be shy to show of your pictures here. Ask questions on how to improve your photography or what camera to buy. Somebody will be able to assist you.
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Canon SX60

Post by kfxnando »

Saw the thread on out the SX50 and though seeing that I have the SX60 , would start a new thread

Have had a Canon G7 for about 10 years, and have taken some amazing pics
So, with us to go on holiday the last December, got an itch to get a new camera
Was looking for an SLR, however many people advised against it, and to rather go for one of the supper zoom cameras
So ended up getting the SX60

1st off am disappointed
When we showed our friends our holiday photos on big screen TVs, it looked great
We had some great photos, and everyone told us so
Most even advised that I should try and sell, some of the he pics online
Did lots of reading for weeks and the settled on shutterstock

And here started the issue, where most of pics got rejected - also think that they are full of ch1t
Took pics in Jpeg and RAW. Same issue on both
Many, came back as unclear, when full size
So had a close look and it was correct, most pics were not 100% clear
Had all kinds of photos. Pics of birds, monkeys, ships, tugs, dogs, flowers, sun rises, sun sets . . .
Have asked many people for advice, there is even a facebook page for the SX50 and the sx60, and there is found people complain about the same issue
And did not get any satisfactory answers
After all, some of my G7 pics, we're so perfect, that when tacking a pic of a locust on the grass, the grass hairs, we're clearly visible

Have played with pic size
Have in the meantime, taken pics of charity events, and of a friend's daughter's 21st, and got many compliments

Kept looking and then something dawned on me
The size of the CCD
Not so much the size, however more the shape
The camera, was set on 16:9 , where the CCD chip size is 4:3 or 3:4 , witch everyone it is

Have changed the settings, however have not taken any pics to check it out
Self currently think, that the Canon software that changes what the 4:3 ratio CCD sees, to 16: 9 is junk

Rest of the camera is ok
Like the fact that it can connect to my phone of tablet, however when downloading the pics to a tablet or phone, find the app falls a bit short, that it only allows one pic to be downloaded a time

Maybe the pros can comment
Meantime, when I take a pic again , will post the results and also see what shutterstock says

:boss: :cooldude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Canon SX60

Post by ChrisF »

SX60 is a strange animal .... took me a while to figure out when to use this.

I have the 7D2 and 5D3 with an assortment of lenses for the serious photos. But the SX60 is just so handy in terms of its reach and size ....

BUT it is NOT an SLR !!! It is a P&S trying to offer some of the functionality of a SLR, while still trying to be as user friendly as a P&S. it is this second part that causes the issues, in my opinion.

On the Green mode - full auto - it is just a very basic P&S with extra long reach. and for any zoom past x4 you really should use some form of dead rest, ie a mono pod, or resting it on a bean bag. Remember it is NOT a F2,8 lens, thus it IS "slow", and really needs proper support for the longer reach. Not many 400mm lenses that can shot handheld and deliver sharp photos either. This is the least of it, as one can easily ensure a stable support.

The next issue is that you really must get off the "green button" and move to "P" or some other setting before the camera will allow you to access the nicer settings. Obviously you are on P to have accessed the RAW function. Moving to Pv have been a bitter disapointment to me. 4 or 5 settings are hardly what I expected .... granted having proper DSLR cameras I did expect a lot more.

Probably the biggest issue for me - the very slow response in bad light .... but then, the 5D3 has really spoilt me for choice under bad lighting conditions !!

All this said, shooting in "P", and with a monopod I have gotton some very decent photos with my SX60. :)

So if the conditions are "iffie" - DSLR.
Under good conditions, and only for memory shots, then the SX60 is just so much easier than a bag full of DSLR equipment ....
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Chris
Thanx for the reply
Glad to see, that I am other the only one who is a bit disappointed

Don't know much about photography, however I enjoy tacking pics

Should of gotten a DSLR, however was advised against getting one

Now need to wait a while before I get another camera

Thanx
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

I got the SX60, understanding its limitations, while I already had DSLR cameras.

There are times when I NEED the functionality of the DSLR's. Action shots and low light shots ....

But for a quick holiday shot the SX60 really is a gem !

to get the range and versatality of a SX60 in a DSLR means a bag full of goodies .... too much of a shlep for ordinary pics.

the trick is to "see" the opportunity and to decide when to use the DSLR, just in case it is a commercial quality pics.

and just to point out the other side - I have a series of photos of a bird of prey tearing up a mouse ... taken with a 7D and a pro lens .... auto focus locked in on a twig just in front of the bird, so the actual shot is nice but cant be used as a price winning pic .... To be sure, you have to go manual focus, live view, enlarge, fine focus, then back to normal view, now take the pic - no quick way to ensure top quality pics.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I got a Canon Powershot SX 710 HS for Swambo to take with her on her recent trip to OZ. Left it on green Auto mode for her convenience and she came back with some really great shots and vids. Awesome little camera that can do everything a decent DSLR can do except interchange lenses. Even the 10 x zoom gives sharp images. Very impressed.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Andy the Powershot range are true P&S cameras - with "only" 10 times zoom.

The SX60 is the leader in the "bridge camera" group. Better than a P&S - well more functionality - and has some rediculous zoom, up to an equivalent 1 000 mm lens !! Absolutely no way you can hold a camera steady by hand for such a shot .... use it with a monopod and you get some amazing shots.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for that info Chris .... it seems that I am at the point of not being too concerned about keeping up with the advances in technology, so didn't know that the SX60 is a bridge camera. Still very impressed with that little Powershot though. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

in a life before 4x4 we traveled SA on a motorcycle. Obviously no space for a "large" camera. My Powershot was always in my pocket. Have very fond memories of this camera !!
Henk_B
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0L V6 4x4 Auto

Post by Henk_B »

i was in this pickle about a year ago, bridge or DSLR.
I read what other people said about you need to get a bridge etc
I got myself a decent DSLR and lenses, and is playing around with the different settings. there are so many nice videos to explain what you can do with your camera.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Busy charging the camera batteries.

This weekend I will using my DSLR's most of the time - game farm.

Still, the bridge will be at the ready for those quick shots.
Henk_B
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0L V6 4x4 Auto

Post by Henk_B »

cool Chris, enjoy

Return to “Photography”