Looking for something? Ask for it here.
dax021
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Wittedrift
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux

Tue May 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi there,

I am not sure what it's called, but I am looking for the channel that the passenger side window fits into. It is that little piece with a rubber insert in it that bolts onto the sliding mechanism with two bolts and pushes the window up and down. Hope this explanation makes sense. My window dropped the other day and I found that this part had rusted so badly it had split in two.

Anyone have one lying around?

Thanks,
Peter

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 87 DC 2.8D

Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 am

You can buy the entire mechanism from Midas, or just replace the channel with a piece of aluminium U-channel
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies"

dax021
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wed May 24, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks Nic, will check it out.

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1)1989 Toyota Hilux 2.2 4y EFI D/C 4X4 Full Mikem suspension ,extra long range tank,Duel battery system,31 Bridgestone Duelers 697 A\T FJ 75 front disc with KZTE calipers ,Kurisun PT 8100 two way mobile radio Hi-Lux call sign HC 121
ORRA Call Sign: X93-

Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Those channels are also available from Toyota .They call it "channel sub ass"
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”

dax021
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks Dawie, will look into it.

dax021
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:21 am

Seems like this is a stealers only option for the ridiculous sum of almost R400 for the channel and rubber. The complete winder mechanism can be bought from Midas etc., for about R200, but it comes without the window channel.

Looks like I'll be trying to fabricate something.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:36 pm

I made one up out of a thicker gauge sheet metal some time back. As I recall, it didn't work that well in holding the glass and I had to silicone the glass and rubber in place. Other than that it was OK.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

dax021
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Cool, thanks for the heads up Andy. My originals were so vrot that they had to be siliconed in anyway

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm open to correction, but I imagine that the originals are made from a more springy steel than sheet metal - after all, they work like a clip that holds the glass quite firmly. The sheet metal idea probably failed because once the glass is pushed in, they bend open a bit and don't have the same grip.

I'm just mentioning this because if your windows are 'sticky' / or don't slide freely enough, the home made rail could pull free from the glass on the downward stroke, even with silicone. In that case I would perhaps bite the bullet and opt for the original part.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

dax021
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:23 pm

And mine are pretty sticky. Maybe Sika and a good clean of the channels might do it.

Mud Dog

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:11 am

Be careful what you put into those channels to try lubricate the sliding glass - some products become sticky when there is moisture in the air while others collect grime. Often it helps to just clean them and a dry lubricant like graphite powder also helps. :winkx:

Return to “Wanted”

• Information