Looking for something? Ask for it here.
Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: An SFA is in my future

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Dear Hilux friends,

It's been a long time. Many of you were incredibly helpful 10 years ago when you helped us buy an SFA that we used to travel around Africa for 10 months in 2008. Ten years later and we have been blessed with two beautiful children and I am on the look for another SFA do another year-long family trip. That's the dream!

We sold the old Hilux SFA (viewtopic.php?t=287) and it did several trips with different owners across the African continent, Europe and even visited China overland. The SFA has now been re-registered in The Netherlands with its last owners and will live the rest of its life there. It was a remarkable, and unbreakable, vehicle.

I don't dislike the modern Hiluxes - I could end up buying one. I'd like to see if I could repeat history and find a great SFA to do another year-long Africa trip with my small family.

What am I looking for?

1. A great base SFA Hilux. Well - looked after, inside and out. I'd prefer an import spec, petrol and manual.

2. Engine. Petrol, as mentioned. Reliability is the key. It could be the original 4Y, rebuild or new 4Y. If it's got a new engine dropped in - it needs to be reliable!

3. Extras - If we get a fully kitted out package, that would be great, but not a necessity. Ultimately the Hilux will get two rooftop tents, fridge, storage, awning, etc. It's more important the base vehicle is excellent than it has all the extras.

For the next year or two I will get the vehicle ready and plan and save for the trip. We will use it for camping locally and the occasional hunting trip.

Thanks for your help everyone! If I get this right and we find the right SFA, I'll be sure to keep you all up to date as we build the rig. If you have a rig you want to sell, or know of one that is going, please let me know.

Greetings from Cape Town,
Scotty
2009 X-Trail (great car, but not an SFA)
1997 Defender 90 2.8i (great vehicle, but not an SFA)

Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: An SFA is in my future

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Hiluxers!

I really mean it! It has been such fun looking for a new SFA.

One or two of you have contacted me, but I'm keen to hear from any of you that are thinking of selling your Ultimate SFA. I promise I will look after it.

Greetings from CT where the rain is pouring down (thank you, Father)
Scotty
2009 X-Trail (great car, but not an SFA)
1997 Defender 90 2.8i (great vehicle, but not an SFA)

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:13 pm

There are still some good deals out there IRO an SFA but you gonna have to be prepared to be patient to find the right one, Scotty. Reliable work horses they may be, but they're getting on in years now, so to find one with reasonable mileage that will be suitable for your purpose may turn out to be a waiting game.

Hope you find what you're looking for. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Wanted”

• Information