Torque Rod Bushing

Looking for something? Ask for it here.
Tim86
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Thu May 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Looking for a torque rod bushing of any kind, or a rod with bushings in at a budget price, or an adjustable torque rod.
$_75.JPG
$_75.JPG (13.11 KiB) Viewed 268 times
download.jpg
download.jpg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Thanks!
Attachments
$_75.JPG
$_75.JPG (13.11 KiB) Viewed 267 times

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 87 DC 2.8D

Thu May 10, 2018 2:50 pm

I think you may be able to get replacement poly bushings from Midas
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies"

Tim86
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Thu May 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Obviously it depends on the establishment and salesperson, but I've found they don't even know what a torque rod is!! I shall give them all a proper sound out though.

pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Hilux 4x4 DC 22R, OME Suspension

Thu May 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Tim is my suspicion that you might be doing an axle move right? :think: :think: :think:
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Fri May 11, 2018 3:35 am

There is very little chance that they have exactly the correct bush, so take the rod with you as well as an old bush and a bolt as a sample. You might find something oversized that can be cut or shaped to fit -preferably get the shock bushes that have the metal sleeve insert (with correct size for the bolt).

But now the question, why do you want to replace them .... they don't just give in that easily and very seldom ever need replacement.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Fri May 11, 2018 7:38 am

Mud Dog wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:35 am
There is very little chance that they have exactly the correct bush, so take the rod with you as well as an old bush and a bolt as a sample. You might find something oversized that can be cut or shaped to fit -preferably get the shock bushes that have the metal sleeve insert (with correct size for the bolt).

But now the question, why do you want to replace them .... they don't just give in that easily and very seldom ever need replacement.
Andy,

Mine needs to be replaced as well. Darrell (Mikem) pointed that out to me. It makes a clunking noise when 4x4'ing
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

Tim86
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Fri May 11, 2018 8:13 am

Did that a while back Luke:)
axle off.jpg
Modded the drag link:
cut.jpg
line up.jpg
parts.jpg
welded.jpg
back on.jpg
Andy my new truck was purchased without a rod installed so I pulled the one off my old truck. One of the bolts was so rusted onto the bush's internal metal tube that I had to use a power bar to turn it and the rubber sheared completely under the torque. I have been thinking along the same lines and have bought bits and pieces of poly bush and tube but thought I'd ask on the off-chance. The guys re-mold them with poly but you are looking at 400 bucks for one. 450 from stealers. To make one I would have to find two correct diameter poly's with a lip - like an enlarged shackle bushing, and insert either side. The lip will prevent the rod bush surround from grating against the diff & chassis brackets which is what I assume Bliksem is experiencing as his rubber is shot or departed from the inner tube. The previous owner and a number of other sfa owners with the rod removed say they experience no axle wrap under heavy breaking but I most certainly do, my brakes are good both sides and I doubt its just due to the fitment of 33's.

Also want to get the rod machined to make it adjustable, aftermarket OME on already and I plan on cold pressing the front leaves soon. These rods should have been extended and fitted to a pivot point back somewhere in line with the rear leaf shackle, the geometry doesn't work in my mind.

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 87 DC 2.8D

Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 am

I'm pretty sure that the company Midas get their poly bushings from make those torque rod bushings, I looked at them on their website some time ago, but I cannot now recall the name of the company
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies"

Tim86
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Fri May 11, 2018 8:42 am

Partquip or Ryan maybe??

Something like this:

Tim86
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Fri May 11, 2018 8:46 am

Will go visit these guys

www.rpm.co.za

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Fri May 11, 2018 9:26 am

These rods should have been extended and fitted to a pivot point back somewhere in line with the rear leaf shackle, the geometry doesn't work in my mind.
The geometry won't work if not mounted to the hanger-pin side - the flexing shackles would create too much of a variance.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tim86
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Fri May 11, 2018 9:30 am

Ja sorry, extended forwards and fixed adjacent to front pin. Would negate most of the reduced articulation problem. I wonder if anyone has ever bothered to do this mod??

Mud Dog

Fri May 11, 2018 9:54 am

I have often thought about this because the geometry does not appear to be correct when just looking at it. Every time I have to wonder what I'm missing -- surely the designing engineers with the thick coke-bottle glasses at Toyota couldn't have made a mistake .... did they make a compromise? .... is there more to this than meets a cursory inspection? ....

Then I think that the purpose is more about eliminating bump-steer than merely avoiding axle-wrap (which would also affect steer) - surely then the torque rod is intended to stop wrapping in relation to the arc of the drag-link rather than the arc of the leaf pack. When you look at the mounting and length of the rod in relation to the drag-link, this appears to make better geometric sense.

Tim86
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Fri May 11, 2018 10:29 am

If I had cross over I would not hesitate to weld on a new front bracket and extend the rod, maybe make one on either side to be pedantic;) - or one in the middle - I don't like the idea of my axle twisting the hell out of my leaves under heavy braking. Bigger wheels, throw in some Powerbrakes and you end up with not inconsiderable forces. The brake steer I get without the rod is quite unnerving as it is.

I do question the effectiveness of the rod in preventing bump steer - it feels as if the torque rod is 'fighting' the leaf pack.

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Fri May 11, 2018 11:24 pm

There to keep your angle right of your diff relative to your prop shaft amongst others. Check without it where your prop shaft flange on the diff is showing when you jack it up. Lift the front up as high you can. Put thresles under the chassis and play with the jack up and down under your axle.

dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Mon May 14, 2018 12:15 pm

I bought Land Cruiser trailing arm poly bushes and had the outside machined down to fit the torque rod. I think the brand was Powertrac.

JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: '09 Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 AT

Mon May 14, 2018 3:14 pm

adcomponents.co.za

Shipping is cheap and they are fast.

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers