Bull shark in the Breede River

It was the big one that got away. Fishing is one of the biggest sports in SOuth Africa and there are plenty a fisherman who drives a Hilux. Share your passion for this sport in this section
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Bull shark in the Breede River

Post by Niel »

Long-standing fishermen's tales of huge Zambezi sharks in the Breede River have been confirmed - and huge means just that.

Last week, researchers on an expedition to confirm the presence of this species - also known as bull sharks - not only caught one of these sharks, but the catch proved to be a world record at 4m and weighing more than half a ton.

Another record: it represented the most south-westerly distribution of bull sharks in Africa.

The shark has been fitted with three tracking devices and researchers are excited by some of its behaviour that they have uncovered as a result of data from these tags.

They have been surprised to learn that it spends much of the night going from fishing boat to fishing boat, and that when dawn breaks and the boats return to the shore, the shark turns its attention to lines of shore anglers.

"She's seemingly looking for a soft prey, and appears to be attracted by sound and vibrations," said Meaghen McCord, managing director of the South African Shark Conservancy who was among researchers that visited the Breede last week.

Others taking part were fish scientist Dr Steve Lamberth and his team from the marine and coastal management branch of the Environment Department, Hennie Papenfuss from Big Fish Safari, and members of the Lower Breede River Conservancy, and three researchers from the shark conservancy.

They fished unsuccessfully for three days, but were rewarded on the fourth when Papenfuss caught a bull shark from his boat about 5km upriver from the mouth.

"After an hour-and-a-half struggle during which the fish towed him 2 189;km further upstream, Hennie managed to tire her enough to bring her close to shore for landing.

"Our team then brought her to the shore, where we were able to collect all the required data."

The female shark tipped the scales between 550kg and 600kg - and was fitted with three tags.

The shark was the largest known to science, with the largest previous maximum size thought to be about 3.5m.

"We gathered genetic samples to determine whether bull sharks in the Breede River represent a distinct population from those found elsewhere in South Africa.

"We also suspect she was pregnant and may very well be using the Breede as a pupping ground."

The team had tracked the shark continuously for 43 hours, and found that it had spent most of this time in the actual estuary, with only a few hours in the surf zone just outside the river mouth.

"Her behaviour during the 43 hours was fascinating," McCord said.

"To speak quite frankly, it was the most incredible experience of my life and I am so excited about the research we will continue to do."

It was vitally important for the researchers to return to the Breede within the next fortnight to continue tracking the shark, but funding was a problem, she said.
warrenaken
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X04

Re: Bull shark in the Breede River

Post by warrenaken »

Was up in Tete (Mozambique) 2 weeks ago and some guy caught one. Not too big but amazing they are 450 odd km upstream.
Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Post by Buff »

So where's the pictures??? I used to paddle that river often and just thought it was my boats shadow in the water below me :-)
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Geesh Brett... no fanks not for me... I not like da Sharks!
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

I've used the very at Malagas now twice and one of the ferrymen told me that they have seen shark there before.

MrB I am more partial to the Lions anyway.

Know what you don't know.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Wish I was there !!

Been a shark lover (not a fan of those boys in PINK) for some time...awesome predators...
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

mmm, imagine the fight that shark put up.
that angler sure felt the deep burn :thumbup:
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE

Return to “Fishing”