PNP Cape Argus Cycle Tour Mar 11th 2012

Do you prefer to 2 wheels to 4? Share your photographs and cycling stories here
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

PNP Cape Argus Cycle Tour Mar 11th 2012

Post by Stubs »

Good luck to one and all if you are riding this year...I will be there, my number 9....dont think my time will be great but gonna enjoy just the same...

If someone could just wait in there Lux for me at the bottom of Suikerbossie to tow me up would be greatly appreciated !! :beg:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: PNP Cape Argus Cycle Tour Mar 11th 2012

Post by ThysdJ »

Good luck Stuey!! :clap: :clap: :clap: We expect nothing less than a sub 3...
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

ThysdJ wrote:Good luck Stuey!! :clap: :clap: :clap: We expect nothing less than a sub 3...
x2 :thumbup:
Gysie
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by Gysie »

Go for it Stubs! Good luck and please don't through a conrod on yourselve :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life does not consist of the cards you are dealt but in how you play the cards you are dealt!

http://www.gomad4x4.co.za
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

What time at Suikerbossie, will make sure I have a full recovery kit... and some much needed rehydration formula....it's really good, think the name is Carling....
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

I will see you there.I will be the one crawling up chappies :alvarin:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

Every year I go great guns until I get to Hout bay - must be psychological or something.....Chappies I dont mind, its a nice view and I just go up in a granny gear :lmao:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

The first time I road it I was caught out by small chappies. I was gunning that out and then realise the Main chappies was stil to come. Screwed me completely. This year my training was non existing so I am going to suffer this time round :blackeye:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Good luck Stu
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

same here, my training hasnt been great, plus I had the stint in hospital recently so that has set me back, I did a 90 km last weekend, from Voelklip in Hermanus to Kleinmond and back, wind was hectic head on all the way back and I suffered the last 15 km's... but hey ho....

What start group are you ??? I am OA departing at 0940 hrs....drop me you cell on a PM and maybe we meet up if you riding on your own, its me and my mate Jacque...
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Good luck to you Stubs and George :clap:
How long is it? When you talk of Chappies you mean Chapmans Peak? :shock2:

I know that hill all too well, but on foot! (Two Oceans Marathon) :blackeye:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

[quote="Stubs"]Good luck to one and all if you are riding this year...I will be there, my number 9....dont think my time will be great but gonna enjoy just the same...

I am also doing the Argus. This is my 1st time and I am looking foward to it. Can't wait, hope to do it under 5 hours.
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Is there anyone going down from Jhb?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

The economy is realy stuffed up, no money for petrol
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

Hey Stu, How did your Argus go.... Was looking out for you at the finish, but not sure what time you got away. It was really, really hot and I believe there were some nasty accidents... Anyway hope you had a good one... Also some very interesting cyclists as there sometimes are... Hear the gay pride crowd were shockers....
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Hi Val, funny you should ask, was also thinking how it went. But I saw a huge accident also :shock2: bikes piling up and human legs flying all over the show.
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

Come on what happened there.
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

I finish with an embarrassing time of 7hours 54 minute :oops: I suffered a lot. Next time I must train a bit
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

So where shall I start, was going great guns but the heat and chappies just klapped me, I sought the last piece of shade before top only to be told the race had been stopped anyways....so just shy of 90 KM...but yeah didnt make it to the end, but was still a great ride and day out....I think it peaked at about 41 degrees on chappies so not conducive to giving it some....also the 4 refreshement stops before chappies had run out of water and only had coke and powerade which by this stage I was gatvol of.....

@ Val, sorry I didnt get to say hi LOL....had to then wait for the sweeper bus and only got to the end at 1900 hours...all the bikes piled on to this truck, they were coming off with broken forks, buckled wheels, luckily I had no damage to my Trek.....

Also saw a few epic falls, its really idiots who dont keep the line, keep left if riding slower and overtaking on the right if need be...so you have to have your wits about you.....had a couple of elbow touches myself :shock2: ........

so heres to next years....as a last note, it took me nearly an hour to get my heart rate down from 160 to 100 and only then about another hour to get it to 80 - thats how hot it was....

But big hats off to the oldest rider of Age 92 who finished in 5 hours 49.......... :thumbup:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

George, did you ride it or push it?

I was realy tired after watching the Argus on TV, i don't want your legs today.
aev@iburst.co.za
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Hoppy wrote:George, did you ride it or push it?

I was realy tired after watching the Argus on TV, i don't want your legs today.
Both.This is the first Argus I had to push.
ja Stubs I also saw some nasty falls :thumbdown: people rode like cr@p.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Well tried Stu! :thumbup: .... I'm surprised you even attempted it with your recent knee problems! :blink:

Congrats George and all the other finishers .... a finish is a finish! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

Nice one George, 8 hours in the saddle, Geez you had a long day, but as you say it comes down to training and I also didnt do enough, no where near it.....but least we made it in one piece.......I hear there was a huge crash in the Womens race also....

But what people dont realise you can hit some serious speeds, I hit 70 the other side of Hospital bend and to hit someone or try to break to avoid a pile is insane.......
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

" a Failure is not someone who doesn't succeed, it's someone who doesn't try "
aev@iburst.co.za
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Reckon all the cyclists were fortunate they did'nt have the south easter like the day before.. Was in Moullie Point late Saturday afternoon and the wind was chronic, I thought a black south easter. But well done to all who took part in the race..... and I agree with Hoppy... As usual felt sooo sorry for the cyclists that made it to the end and then came in after the cut off time.. There was a group of guys that missed by about 15 seconds.... But supposed they were just happy they got to the end...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

730653e4510847968ff1ee09102e9fb6.jpg
730653e4510847968ff1ee09102e9fb6.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 9269 times
This is the winner of the Women's section of the Argus.... Seems that Toyota comes up tops everywhere, even with cycle power...
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

Stubs wrote:So where shall I start, was going great guns but the heat and chappies just klapped me, I sought the last piece of shade before top only to be told the race had been stopped anyways....so just shy of 90 KM...but yeah didnt make it to the end, but was still a great ride and day out....I think it peaked at about 41 degrees on chappies so not conducive to giving it some....also the 4 refreshement stops before chappies had run out of water and only had coke and powerade which by this stage I was gatvol of.....

But big hats off to the oldest rider of Age 92 who finished in 5 hours 49.......... :thumbup:
I was fortunate enough to finish in 6 hours 10 min. So the oldest rider beat me, it's probably his 35th argus, but was only my 1st one. I did not practice much, in fact I only found out I was doing the argus 2 weeks before the time (its a long story). It was extremely hot on chappies, I almost passed out while I was waiting for water when an angel through a cold bottle of ice water over my head (this was not drinking water I was told). At this point right there by the water refreshment point on chappes, the whole race came to a stop because of an accident that happend on the way down chappies, this was the longest wait of my life. Everyone had to get off their bikes and just stand and wait.
If it was not for the friendly people in Houtbay that cooled us down with water showers on the road, I would have still been on the road. Suikerbossie was though, I had to also walk the last 300m and at this point my legs started cramping, not a very nice feeling. Anyway, my stragety was to take it cool with the climbs, but gun it with the downhills to make up for time lost, seems like it paid off. 65km/hour was my fastest downhill speed, the mountainbike just could not go any faster. Besides the heat, it felt great to cross that line, sorry you could not finished your race, better luck next time with the weather.
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Well done to all. Seems we should enter a Hilux group next year ?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

I would like to see Neil on a racing bike in tights!
aev@iburst.co.za
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Hoppy wrote:I would like to see Neil on a racing bike in tights!
Ag nee man.Ek wil nog brekfis eet :sick:
Niel

Post by Niel »

Hoppy wrote:I would like to see Neil on a racing bike in tights!
:lol: :lol: kom dat ek now windgat wees - ek en my vrou het 3 Arguses gedoen (detour roete - Ou Kaapse weg, al 3 jaar van hulle) en my beste tyd was 4:35 op n mountain bike :o: En ja, in vol cycling outfit :lol: Die gladde nommers maak jou vinniger :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

racing bikes is vir softies :yahoo: :yahoo: nou gaan ek seker baie pak vat :lol:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Was daar dertig jaar terug al mountain bikes? Seker n dikwiel sonder fenders
aev@iburst.co.za
Niel

Post by Niel »

Hoppy wrote:Was daar dertig jaar terug al mountain bikes? Seker n dikwiel sonder fenders
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
ek sal die fotos saambring wanneer ek die motor bring - ons het geld ingesamel en het met die arems gepedal - special class :twisted: :twisted:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Thys de Jager

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Ek sal like om daai bicycle te sien, hy't seker ten minste n solar panel, n gestockte Luna en Cooper muds op gehad?

Ek spot maar, ek ry net om die blok dan's ek half dood, my vrou se ek moet werk toe ry met die fiets, ek het al maar terug in die middag is die probleem, 800m bult op, te ver vir my! Ek dink die Argus sal my vier dae vat, nie vier uur nie.
aev@iburst.co.za
Niel

Post by Niel »

Se jou wat ons 3 Thys, Jy en ek maak n team vir die volgende een dan kan 1 die NL gestock vat die een kan Cooper muds opsit en ek sal die solar panel aangedrewe jobbie vat dan daag ons on mede hiluxers uit om n beter tyd te doen as ons? Dan samel ons geld vir liefdadigheid so in - Thys moet nie nou al die hartaanval kry nie :lol:
Stubs

Post by Stubs »

what about next year a hilux4x4 club stand somewhere along the road ?????? I see LR do it, had theres just before little chappies if i remember right.....not sure what you would have to pay for the pleasure though or just rock up early and get spot.....worth finding out.....
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

We camp there in the bushes somewhere, there up suikerbossie maybe, then we can hand you a cold Blackie on the way up!
aev@iburst.co.za
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Niel wrote:Se jou wat ons 3 Thys, Jy en ek maak n team vir die volgende een dan kan 1 die NL gestock vat die een kan Cooper muds opsit en ek sal die solar panel aangedrewe jobbie vat dan daag ons on mede hiluxers uit om n beter tyd te doen as ons? Dan samel ons geld vir liefdadigheid so in - Thys moet nie nou al die hartaanval kry nie :lol:
I'll have you know I have done the Argus once too!! on a Kawasaki 1000 J with a camara-man on the back... NEVER again!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Stubs

Post by Stubs »

only believable with pictures....... :taunt:
Niel

Post by Niel »

daar is hy Thys - jy is n pro pappie
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Niel wrote:Well done to all. Seems we should enter a Hilux group next year ?
I think that is a very good idea.... was offered an entry a few weeks ago, but thought I had'nt trained enough and was not fit enough for this year....

But if we can get a Hilux cycle group together for next year, I would be keen...
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I'll go in the Ford.. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

ThysdJ wrote:I'll go in the Ford.. :twisted: :twisted:
Did'nt know that Ford were into pedal power as well... or is it that when you drive a Ford you have to carry a bicycle in the back in case you need to use it... :tease: :tease: :tease:
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

ek doen elke week die Argus, 20 sec flat van voor tot agterblad
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

Val, can we make it a relay race?
i'll take the downhills
aev@iburst.co.za
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Hoppy wrote:Val, can we make it a relay race?
i'll take the downhills
Don't worry I'll tow you up the uphills and you can just free wheel downhill.... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Or you can just get the Virgin Angels to push you up the hills... they do a marvellous job...
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hoppy »

What are we going to smoke to see the virgin angels?
aev@iburst.co.za
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

george wrote:I finish with an embarrassing time of 7hours 54 minute :oops: I suffered a lot. Next time I must train a bit
Well done George :clap: yes training will help but don't be hard on yourself, let's celebrate the effort/finish. Good luck for next time :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Well done to you guys :clap:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Hoppy wrote:What are we going to smoke to see the virgin angels?

No, no. no. Smoking is bad for cycling... Virgin Active staff that help push tired cyclists up Chappies and Suikerbossie
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

GI Jane wrote:Virgin Active staff that help push tired cyclists up Chappies and Suikerbossie
Dit was blykbaar 'n groot gestotery gewees... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

ThysdJ wrote:
GI Jane wrote:Virgin Active staff that help push tired cyclists up Chappies and Suikerbossie
Hulle wou nie my stoot nie :silent: ek moes seker op die fiets gewees het
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gideonvanzyl »

ThysdJ wrote:
Ai dit was, almal was nie so gewillig om te stoot nie, net sekeres het hard gewerk
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Okay so after a year of collecting dust, I dusted off my Trek this morning, pumped up the tyres, and replaced my regular spinning session with a 30km road cycle to start preparation for next years Hilux 4x4 teams entry to the Argus.... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Do you think there are enough cyclists on the Hilux forum to justify Hilux 4x4 club branded cycling shirts and shorts?
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Val go for it! I'm in :thumbup:
Looking at this years 94.7 as a start :cooldude:
Oooms and Ooods both have bonnies too :mocking:

Niel (Thunder02) also has one, might help with the stop smoking :shock2:

Worth a shot, I'd say. Maybe please start a new thread.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Toe Val hoor van die stotery, toe stof sy haar bike af... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

ThysdJ wrote:Toe Val hoor van die stotery, toe stof sy haar bike af... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Any thoughts from those in the know about the possibility of Hilux 4x4 branded cycling shirts and shorts yet?
Niel

Post by Niel »

we will have to speak to Pieter and company
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

Niel wrote:we will have to speak to Pieter and company
Thanks Neil :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Cycling and Mountain Biking”