Mountain Bikes

Do you prefer to 2 wheels to 4? Share your photographs and cycling stories here
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Mountain Bikes

Post by Niel »

I will be in the market for a mountain bike shortly - any advice you can give will be appreciated - it is for recreational purposes and it will do the Argus as well. Price must not be mal either.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Re: Mountain Bikes

Post by Thunder02 »

I bought a Scott from bridge cycles years ago,that time they beat everybody's price by R700-00.I think they are in ottery ,go have a look,they have a great variety. :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Post by tersmit »

Hey Niel
I recently bought a very nice mountain bike from City Cycles in Canal Walk.
It is an Axis. It is a very nice bike and i only paid R 2400-00 for it. The service at City Cycles was excellent.
I used to do serious cycling when i was younger, so i am full of crap when it comes to buying a bicycle.
They also have Scott bikes there for about R3000-00
I plan to do the Argus on the Axis that i bought, and i plan to do it under 4 and a half hours
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Pay a bit extra, and get a decent bike, otherwise it is going to be one big frustration and no-one is going to enjoy it (We bought a bike for my wife in the R4500 - R6000 price bracket, at that stage it was the middle of the range. According to the sales guy, bikes fall in three classes, low end, middle of the range, and extremely expensive. In my opinion, any bike in the middle of the range group will suffice. The low-end is going to frustrate you, and the top-end is for pros.). Furthermore, I would stay clear of cable disk brakes - I don't know if any development went into it, but a few years ago, the cable disk brakes were not up to scratch. Hydraulic disc brakes are in a league of their own. I have a Gary Fisher with v-brakes and enjoy the bike very much. I would rather take v-brakes than cable disc brakes, but that is just me.

Opt for an aluminium frame - the chrome-molly (spelling?) is quite heavy.

I did the Argus with my Gary Fisher. A week before the race a friend of mine lend me slicks, which made a huge difference after I trained with knobbies.
Niel wrote:I will be in the market for a mountain bike shortly - any advice you can give will be appreciated - it is for recreational purposes and it will do the Argus as well. Price must not be mal either.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Price must not be mal either.
Ag kom nou Niel, don't be fickle, get something decent !
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

I bought a Silverback Mecury 3 from ReCycle Hobby Planes in the cape. They have some fantastic deals on bid or buy, usually with free overnight delivery.

I wouldn't recommend buying an entry level bike, what you pay is what you get.
T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Stubs
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

anyone planning to do the Argus who hasnt done it is in for a shock, its a tough ride, at the end of the day whatever you buy doesnt really matter as its all about the person that rides it, buy a cheap bike its gonna be heavy, however the difference between say a entry level bike weighing 15 kgs and a mid level bike weighing 8 kg's is no different to a overweight person of 7kgs riding a mid level bike and vice versa....

Saying that, riding a lighter bike is more comfortable especially when you are pushing it up Chappies.. :lmao: this I know, I have done 8 Argus's with the last one not finishing, although I didnt get a medal I still class it as one as I only called it a day at the top of Chappies, this was down to lack of training and nothing else....

I am also entered for the next argus so anyone else on the forum doing it and living in the Cape area we should definitely get some rides in on the actual hills of the event, Suikerbossie, Millars point, Chaps etc, it helps greatly psychologically...

So as for bikes if you can spend about R4000 then you can get something decent which also gives you the option to upgrade along the line, as long as the frame is the best you can afford then you cant go wrong, as wheels , brakes, handlebars, brakes, gears, seatpost saddle can all be upgraded .....

So when does TeamHilux4x4 start training.....hope I havent started something now...LOL....
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Rebuilding 91 D/C Hilux Mboza Body, OME 4Y EFI, & 91 S/C 4Y Hilux

Post by dustbuster »

Jaco Versfeld wrote:Pay a bit extra, and get a decent bike, otherwise it is going to be one big frustration and no-one is going to enjoy it (We bought a bike for my wife in the R4500 - R6000 price bracket, at that stage it was the middle of the range. According to the sales guy, bikes fall in three classes, low end, middle of the range, and extremely expensive. In my opinion, any bike in the middle of the range group will suffice. The low-end is going to frustrate you, and the top-end is for pros.). Furthermore, I would stay clear of cable disk brakes - I don't know if any development went into it, but a few years ago, the cable disk brakes were not up to scratch. Hydraulic disc brakes are in a league of their own. I have a Gary Fisher with v-brakes and enjoy the bike very much. I would rather take v-brakes than cable disc brakes, but that is just me.

Opt for an aluminium frame - the chrome-molly (spelling?) is quite heavy.

I did the Argus with my Gary Fisher. A week before the race a friend of mine lend me slicks, which made a huge difference after I trained with knobbies.
Niel wrote:I will be in the market for a mountain bike shortly - any advice you can give will be appreciated - it is for recreational purposes and it will do the Argus as well. Price must not be mal either.

I second that :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: , mid entry bike go for hydraulic disk brakes I have a GT avalanche I bought a few years go still goes well.
Most bikes in the mid entry have the same shimano components just the forks and frames are different it is just finding a bike that suits you.

Just make sure that the bike frame size is correct for you, if you buy new try get a old model on special if there is a 2013 model try get a 2012 or 2011 they drop the price allot for old stock.

Have a look on HUB sa if you want to buy second had you can get good deals on here

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for components and new bikes as well look at chain reaction they will ship for free for big orders

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Niel

Post by Niel »

Seems I am going to go for the Scott - Aspect 910 - Thanks for the advice
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Niel I LOVE my mountain bike.

best part is the 650 cc single cylinder engine ..... :surrender: :tease: :lmao: :laugh2:

skuus Niel.
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 2.7;2012 MB ML350;2016 MB C220 BLUETEC; 1999 VW GOLF 1.6; VW Caddy P/V

Post by HennieO »

Will you also be doing the Argus or will "it" be going by itself? :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

ChrisF wrote:Niel I LOVE my mountain bike.

best part is the 650 cc single cylinder engine ..... :surrender: :tease: :lmao: :laugh2:

skuus Niel.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Niel, nou kan jy lekker oefen! Trap daai pedale tot by my, geniet n Tafel en trap daai pedale NOG HARDER terug huistoe! Dan sal die Argus putsticks wees! LOL!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

I got myself the Scott Aspect 20 for R5.5k at Cajees Cycle corner in the middle of the year, enjoy every bit of it. I try and go out once or twice a week, in between my running, did 70km yesterday. Preparing for 94.7. If funds allow I want to do the Argus.

As far as Team Hilux4x4 is concerned I think tannie Val was busy sorting this out or finding out some other info, maybe she can fill us in :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

You are almost as heavy as me :shock: , so I think you should look for one that takes 33' tyres and a carrier for at least 12 beers. :tease:
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Niel

Post by Niel »

Did a 45 km this morning after 9 years. The legs are ok but there is other parts that need a rest. A very nice bike and worth the money.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

:laugh2: :lmao: :lmao:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I'll never take up cycling.. I hate needles.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Ja Lance,..... eh ..... ek bedoel Thys!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

Niel, jy kan by Japie gaan draai langs Rooies se winkel, wat weer langs Elastic PC is daar by Brakcenfell Mall(agter KFC) in Old Paarl rd Brackenfell.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Thanks Tertius - sien my PM

Return to “Cycling and Mountain Biking”