Theft of Hiliux

Have your Hilux just been stolen. Please report it here and let everybody help to keep an eye out for your Hilux.
Withers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 4X4

Tue May 04, 2010 7:57 am

My Hilux was stolen from Emmarentia Dam on Sunday 25 April within 15 minutes of having been parked. Tracker was alerted at around 09h25 and the tracking device found nearby at around 10h30 (So much for the efficacy thereof! Tracker gave me lots of platitudes that were meaningless and, frankly, stupid). Professional job. The Insurance Loss Adjuster informed me that there is a current BIG demand for Hilux 4X4's in Northern Mozambique especially modified with long-range tanks and more. And then this last weekend a Hilux friend was also relieved of his vehicle at knife point. Makes one think!

Questions arising:
* Is there any evidence to support the contention that Hilux's thefts are preferred compared to other brands?
* Is there a better tracking system than Tracker that is thief proof?
* Is there a way of making a vehicle theft proof beyond the seemingly inept capability of Tracker?

Any advice welcomed please as I am intent on replacing my permanently lost vehicle with a Hilux (of course) but I'd like to keep it - permanently.

Thanks,

Alan Witherden
082 571 5402

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Tue May 04, 2010 8:03 am

Morning and welcome, sorry you have to introduce yourself this way....
Read more her!
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7518&hilit=hilux+theft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Tue May 04, 2010 8:13 am

Allan

:evil: Sorry about your loss :x

Unfortunately, Trackers and any other sort of similar system, will never be steal proof as some 1 has to install the unit and know how to disarm it. And with companys/branches using temp/contract labour more and more now days, these systems will be a quick strip for the criminals out there as many have at some stage probably worked in an envirment where they are fitted.

I also fell prey to this affirmative shopping a few years back, just after having kitted my van, and I got exactly the same answers/explanations as you and mine was a Mazda 4x4.

I don't think this is only a Toyota Hilux owners problem alone but any 1 with a van as they are used for rural works ect across the border.

Please do me a favour though, should you come across a system that is Steal proof, please PM it to me as I would love to have that piece of mind.

Best of luck with finding a new van Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.

HennieJ2
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Hilux D/C D4D 4x4, Hilux KZ-TE D/c 4x4

Tue May 04, 2010 8:15 am

Alan, one thing that makes it difficult for thieves is the home-made systems / immobilizers. All standard systems obtained from OEM and installation suppliers are being copied by crooks and the info sold on the black market. As for tracking systems - they all have their limitations and even they pick up problems with employees, who resigns and then turn towards crime with their knowledge of the systems. Un-fortunately - Crime DOES pay.

The dbl cab Hilux's and Fortuners are prime target - due to the high volumes in Africa and also (of course) their off-road / on-road versatilities.

Hennie
Hilux D/C D4D 4x4 ; Hilux 2700i S/C 4x4

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Tue May 04, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Allan and welcome, even if it is under distressing circumstances.

Personally I have always favoured 'Netstar' as a tracking device .... their response time is so much quicker. 'Tracker' makes use of the SAPS as a recovery, and we all know that their response time leaves a lot to be desired. Furthermore, although both companies are at a disadvantage IRO the thieves' knowledge of their systems, a quick response helps which is evident in the stats published by Netstar. Last time I looked, they boasted a 98% recovery rate, 90% of which were recovered in the first hour.

That said, I also agree with the above sentiments that additional homemade devices help. Posting ideas here would defeat the object, since they then become public knowledge. PM me if you like and I will e-mail you the outlines of an idea. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Tue May 04, 2010 8:46 am

Had a tracker installed in mommy's new car, but if you don't fit the de-luxe model with the early detection capability, you first have to realise it's gone before you can phone them to start tracking; and the insurance only pays for the entry level system. We were not allowed to watch the installation, they do it at your house in a locked garage supposedly for security purposes; but the oke left his oily fingerprints all over the car so I know where it is... At least there won't be the full excess when it gets stolen.

2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Tue May 04, 2010 4:04 pm

shit man, hard luck, tired to steal mine twice, first time was 3 days after i registered in my name, how did they know????????????
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Tue May 04, 2010 7:41 pm

Alan, let me guess, the bent the hood....and indicator and lock...?

deonb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Malmesbury
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D Double Cab 4X4

Sat May 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Ek besoek nou nie dikwels Gautengeleng waar voertuie so baie wegraak en het dus nie nodigheid gesien om Tracker/Netstar ens te laat installeer. Ek het maar gegaan vir goeie gehalte gearlock. Hoop dit sal werk as die manne my Hilux wil vat. Daai pen waarmee hy sluit is ook moe... lekker wapen as ou moeilikheid soek hier by my venster. Hy gaan 2de kom!
Groete

2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Sat May 08, 2010 4:13 pm

we all have tracker etc. for insurance :)
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Parys
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: X45

Sat May 08, 2010 8:09 pm

Withers wrote: The Insurance Loss Adjuster informed me that there is a current BIG demand for Hilux 4X4's in Northern Mozambique especially modified with long-range tanks and more. And then this last weekend a Hilux friend was also relieved of his vehicle at knife point. Makes one think!
Hello and welcome Alan!!!

The most frustarting thing is the fact that everybody knows that 90% of the stolen LDV's end up across our borders. Why is it so difficult then for the SAPS en border control to catch these 'syndicates'????? Ah It because they are also part of the system because if they did something about it, they will be without work....

M2cw
Johan Marais

Return to “Stolen Hiluxes”

• Information