Dual Switch Immobiliser

Have your Hilux just been stolen. Please report it here and let everybody help to keep an eye out for your Hilux.
patrickr
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1987 SC 2.2 Hilux 4x4, '86 D/C Hilux 4x4

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi guys,

In an attempt to reduce the huge fear I have of my Hilux being stolen, I am wanting to "put in" my own immobiliser or sorts. The idea is to have strategically positioned switches in the cab that have to be pressed or switched on for the vehicle start.

I am a bit weary of going into too much detail on a public forum where anybody (read potential thieves :think: ) can read about it, hence my lack of details.

Has anybody done something similar? Perhaps PM's are a better way to go?

Regards,
Patrick
Take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:23 pm

You have a PM :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Patrick, I don't think it would help too much .... these guys just put a jumper wire in the engine bay (they know where) and drive it off. Then they trace and sort out your switches afterwards. :think: .... It never helped me! :(
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

patrickr
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1987 SC 2.2 Hilux 4x4, '86 D/C Hilux 4x4

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Yeah, I guess you're right Mud Dog - If they want my bakkie, they going to make sure they get it.

I was thinking of putting a switch in the leads to the coil, and a switch in the fuel line, but like you said, a simple jumper kit and you can connect the starter and coil straight onto the battery.

I makes even door locks seem redundant - nothing a brick to the window won't sort out :blackeye:

However, Im still going to have a bit of fun trying to think up thief deterrents :lol:
Take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:59 pm

A few pet puffadders on the seats would help! :lol: :lol:
Will PM you some other ideas ..... ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)

Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:25 pm

take a step back and look what these guys do -

step one is to bring along their own key and transponder setup - this gets plugged into the steering column harness

step two is to plug their own "black box" into the wiring harness (the one behind the cubby hole)

so whatever you attempt needs to pick up wires "elsewhere", ie outside of these looms .....

possible ideas that have been used by the desperate --
solenoid in the fuel line, with your own unigue swiching,
"mess about" with one or more of the engine management sensors,
etc ....

problem is that in todays electronic era you had better PRAY that one of these "tricks" dont inadvertently "blows" the computer .....

Mud Dog

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:00 am

Chris I agree with what you're saying, but remember that Patrick is running a 1987 4Y ....... no electronics. ;-)

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)

Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:49 am

missed that part.

GOOD, then his imagination is his only downfall .....

earthing the condenser comes to mind ....

the BIGGEST CHALLENGE is to do it in such a way that it is not visually obvious in the engine bay .... HIDE those wires

on my Mini I had a micro switch (cant remember what it switched), but the switch was located inside the handbrake. just drop your hand and press the hidden button while starting the engine .... NOTHING if you dont know about this ....

Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Guess the more we try to frustrate this guys with extra switches, is the more they become brutal in their high jacking methods........ Learned the hard way. :( :( :( :(
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...

Return to “Stolen Hiluxes”

• Information