Fridge/Freezer Help

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Fridge/Freezer Help

Post by Scooter »

Hi guys

Has anyone got any experience with the 'Tropical' range of fridge/freezers?
I have no idea where to buy therm or what price range they go for.

I have however got an offer for a 50L fridge/freezer, 12v 220v, R1500 but as I say I know nothing about them so don't even know if it is a good price or not.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Re: Fridge/Freezer Help

Post by Knersus »

Never heard of these freezers but for that price I surely think they are joking. Cooler boxes is going that price.
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Well I went and had a look at the fridge/freezer. it is an old one (1998) but still in excellent condition.
It is a steel unit, not s/s and looks just like a minature chest freezer. The inside is spotless and is about a 45L capacity.
It runs a Danfoss compressor using R134a gas and has had an electronic thermostat fitted post manufacture (obviously the original manual thermostat gave in)
For the price I figured I wouldn't get anything better so I bought it and actually got it for R1200.
Ran it last night and it got down to -13C which for an old one isn't too bad I dont think. I will have iot re-gassed and maybe that will get it a bit lower.

All in all, a good buy for the price. I am most pleased and I am sure that with proper care it will give me many years of trouble free freezing.
Anyway I am glad I jumped on the oppurtunity to get it. :mrgreen:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

What a bargain that was. I am running my Engel at -3 and it is keeping the meat and ice frozen and the drinks is lekker cold. Sometimes slush puppy beer but it is afterall a cold one you want. I keep the cheese, butter and stuff that must be kept cool in a small 6 can soft cooler bag inside the fridge and it is preventing it from freezing. Enjoy your fridge I am sure it will give you many hours of joy
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Scooter, I know of Tropical Ice Boxes but not Fridge/Freezers. The ice box sells for R 1140 at Safari Centre and I stand to be corrected but you might find them and Outdoor Warehouse. Hope it helps.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Niel, I have no idea if the iceboxes and the fridge/freezer are made by the same people but I can tell you it is not a complicated unit so it will be easy to fix and as it runs with danfoss compressor it is easily accesible if anything should go wrong.
I guess when they get older, a fridge is a fridge is a fridge and as loong as you have the box you can make it work. :mrgreen:

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”