Camping Shower / DIY

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Camping Shower / DIY

Post by OOOOMS »

For the last couple of yeas we have been using a gravity feed shower (cold water) from a tank on the roof rack.

I have seen some nifty idea's at show's and 4x4 retailers, however at an alarming price :!:

Has anyone got a simple way to build a shower with hot water or something in that line? Thinking of a stainless steel pipe with copper piping...

Your help and advice would be appreciated (and I am sure Danelle will be grateful.... :lol: :lol: )
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Re: Camping Shower / DIY

Post by Gunta »

Mark, there was a nice shower on the market about 15years ago. It was a 1.5m stainless pipe with a jacket. Inlet at the bottom and outlet ontop. There was a swivle cup at the bottom to put in diesel and once lit draws like a chimney. Made hot water instantly. I have the compact one that fits on the gas bottle. If you would like to look at it to build one let me know and you can copy mine. I have been looking for that other one but alas can't find it. But the gas one works really well.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Pix will be nice!!
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

This was taken at the Ithala game reserve where there was no hot water and only one open shower at the camp. There are only 5 campsites there so only 1 toilet and 1 shower for all. Awesome place with no fences, so watch out for ellies walking through at night. We went there in July and we were the only one's using the shower.
Attachments
Gas Shower 1.jpg
Gas Shower.jpg
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

If you would like to look at it to build one let me know and you can copy mine
Mark, that will be great tx. PM me your number again pls
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Gunta wrote:Mark, there was a nice shower on the market about 15years ago. It was a 1.5m stainless pipe with a jacket. Inlet at the bottom and outlet ontop. There was a swivle cup at the bottom to put in diesel and once lit draws like a chimney. Made hot water instantly. I have the compact one that fits on the gas bottle. If you would like to look at it to build one let me know and you can copy mine. I have been looking for that other one but alas can't find it. But the gas one works really well.

Gunta

I am talking to a guy here who used to sell/import a shower similar to what you have mentioned, exept it runs with parrafin.

I've asked him for some more details and as soon as I have them, I will pass it onto you as he still has a few.

Cheers Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thanks Zane, they could run on meths as well.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Maddoglips wrote:
Gunta wrote:Mark, there was a nice shower on the market about 15years ago. It was a 1.5m stainless pipe with a jacket. Inlet at the bottom and outlet ontop. There was a swivle cup at the bottom to put in diesel and once lit draws like a chimney. Made hot water instantly. I have the compact one that fits on the gas bottle. If you would like to look at it to build one let me know and you can copy mine. I have been looking for that other one but alas can't find it. But the gas one works really well.

Gunta

I am talking to a guy here who used to sell/import a shower similar to what you have mentioned, exept it runs with parrafin.

I've asked him for some more details and as soon as I have them, I will pass it onto you as he still has a few.

Cheers Zane
Zane that would be great, tx :thumbup:
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Gents

Sorry bout the delay, but as promised here is the showers the guy at work has.

In the pictures, the 1 on the left is a combo type 1 so you can regulate the temp and the 2nd is just a constant.

He has about 4 of the 1st 1 and 10 of the 2nd.

The costs are R500 each, I don't know if this is acceptable, or not and PLEASE note I have not used 1 before so I can't say how good they are but I'm sure people have seen them work.

If interested let me know as I also have a PDF doc but it's too large to upload.

Zane
Attachments
shower 1.jpg
shower 1.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 9316 times
shower2.jpg
shower2.jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 9316 times
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Zane is that shower made of stainless or galvanised steel?
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Hi M8

Galv pipe, I will try and get some better pics when I'm back the weekend.

Zane
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Many tx Zane, seems vey reasonable, but as you say bulky. Not sure if one could cart this around on a 4 week trip. But for a permanent shower ideal :thumbup:

Who has one of the in car, through the heater fitted?
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Ooms no probs,

for the rest, I'm going to collect 1 tonight and take it home so I can get more accurate dimensions/weights for those who are interested.

I'll also look to see what can be done to possibly make it more compact for easier transporting and use when camping.

Zane
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Gunta/Ooms

Forgot I had the piccies of this, this is a project I've started but never got to finishing with my new 1 which arrived.

You'll see it's based on the same idea as yours but trying to gain additional heat as I found the single barrel doesn't get that warm if the supply temp is to low.

Actually I just like playing with things :shh:

You'll see that there's baffles in 3 and the 4th is like a resivoir, the system works quite well with the little shower pump I have, I just need to improve on the dampering, baffling round the outside.

Zane
Attachments
IMG00185-20100602-0649.jpg
IMG00185-20100602-0649.jpg (10.43 KiB) Viewed 9287 times
IMG00186-20100602-0649.jpg
IMG00186-20100602-0649.jpg (31.75 KiB) Viewed 9287 times
IMG00187-20100602-0649.jpg
IMG00187-20100602-0649.jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 9287 times
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi,

Nice equipment!!

I also built one of these jacket showers a few years ago, with the right fuel and air openings that thing sounded like a jet engine. The original jacket shower was called a Parhot.

Nowadays I use a blue jerry can next to the fire, then I have dish washing water and shower water, el cheapo shower pump and head, and the jerry can can also carry extra water. No parafin etc. to worry about, simple, cheap.

Cheers,

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

Gunta wrote:This was taken at the Ithala game reserve where there was no hot water and only one open shower at the camp. There are only 5 campsites there so only 1 toilet and 1 shower for all. Awesome place with no fences, so watch out for ellies walking through at night. We went there in July and we were the only one's using the shower.
I went to campworld today and they were selling these at R1695 each :o: :o:
heeltemal Mal but I guess someone will be willing to fork out that much for a few copper pipes, taps and nozzels.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Ja but it works well, and besides when you are the only camper with hot water other campers are very jealous and are willing to pay to use it. So after a weekend you should be able to pay it off.

Zane, how are you heating that geyser?
Last edited by Gunta on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Mark

Currently I heat it on a normal cadac burner like you would use for your kettle.

I have a shroud which I'm gonna put around the outside of all the pipes to reduce the wind on the system as well as I'm busy looking at caps for the top with a smaller hole in.

This hasn't cost me anything, as it's off cuts so just playing trying to get more heat then out of the single pipe version.

Oh I also wanna look into having a burner for each pipe made/will make them myself but just looking into what burner jets to use.

Zane
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I will have a look on mine and let you know. Mine already sounds like a jet engine with one so yours will probably want to take off into space with 4 power boosts.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

:lol: :lol:

Gunta, if you could try and get a piccie of how your burner it'd be great. :thumbup:

What sort of temp do you get with the single barrel?

The 1 I copied from, the guys that have said it wasn't worth it at all really as it only took away abit of the chill/Luke warm thats why I decided to play aroud with multiple tubes.

Zane
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I will take a pic for you over the weekend. It works very well, it makes boiling water as well for washing the dishes. The more you restrict the water flow the hotter it is.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Zane and mark
Here are some pics I took of the shower. Let me know if there are other angles you would like to see and I will post them. Mark, let me know when you want to come and look at it.
Attachments
IMG_3151.jpg
IMG_3149.jpg
IMG_3150.jpg
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Tx Mark, will give you a call, tx for taking the time of posting the pics :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Cheers Mark

Must say that's a nifty setup there, different from what I expected.

More ideas again LOL

Zane
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

Have you g.ys seen the geyser that they use a round burner that swivels and then acts as a stove? Everything neatly boxed in. If you look closely they have used a 200-250mm burner that heats a copper radiator almost the same as you get in your vehicles heater box.

I have tried years ago to build my own pipe geyser and spend hours on it and went to the local 4x4 shop and asked for a demonstration. What a disappointment. The water was hot but only because the flow rate was reduced and you only showered under the hot water. Well it was more a light sprinkle than a shower the shower head gad about 16 1mmholes in it and was fed with one of these submersible pumps that doesn’t really deliver at a height of 2 m. Best is to ask for a demonstration before you decide to spend money on these geysers.

Best is to heat water in a kettle mix with cold water in a drum and use a submersible pump. No extra weight or space waist on something that you don’t really need.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Have you g.ys seen the geyser that they use a round burner that swivels and then acts as a stove? .[/quote]

Carefull Derick some Guys might get offended :lol: :lol:

Best is to heat water in a kettle mix with cold water in a drum and use a submersible pump. No extra weight or space waist on something that you don’t really need.[/quote]

The problem with that is it takes way to much time and you are restricted with water. Mine works well and is compact and packs neatly with all the attachments into a small canvas bag. I dont like that one you mentioned that covers as a stove as well. IMHO there are only 2 that really work and that I would use. 1. the gas one I have and 2. the parrafin stove that Zane posted (only drawback on this one is the size, but it sure works well)
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Gunta

We hoping it's a typo :twisted: :twisted:

Zane
Leeuplesier

Post by Leeuplesier »

Ek sal definitief gaan vir die opsie waar jy twee pype gebruik en n jacet het. Die enigste verskil is dat ek eerder die kleiner butaan branders en bottels sal gebruik om die stort meer hanteerbaar te kan maak. Met dit kan jy n waterpompie gebruik om meer druk te gee.
Kyk na die webtuiste onder Esential Assesories vir n paar voorbeelde van tuisgemaakte storte.

http://www.overland.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”