Savuti vs Nomad vs Wilderness310

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
tvhsa
Town: Graaff-Reinet
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Hilux 2.7i DC 4x4

Savuti vs Nomad vs Wilderness310

Post by tvhsa »

I need a compact off-road trailer to use in the mountains on my Greywing Partridge hunts here in the EC. I narrowed it down to a Venter Savuti, Challenger Nomad and a Camp Master Wilderness 310. Towing vehicle is a Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC. Is the Wilderness 310 and exact copy of the Nomad (bar the stickers) or is there more to the Challenger?

The Savuti's TARA is lighter , but all of these have a GVM of 750kg. I do not need to cart heavy stuff or a tent, just a few chairs, a table, cooler boxes and other odds and ends.

Any input will be welcomed.

Cheers,
Tim
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Savuti vs Nomad vs Wilderness310

Post by Haboob »

If thats all you need it for, then why don't you buy a luggage type of trailer, jurgens xt something comes to mind. They are off road trailers with about 15" wheels. You don' mentionthe price range that those trailers are...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
tvhsa
Town: Graaff-Reinet
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Hilux 2.7i DC 4x4

Post by tvhsa »

The Savuti is R22k , the Wilderness R25k and the Challenger R27k. The off road trailer's suspension is more rugged for the mountain roads and my luggage trailer will not last.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Haboob wrote:If thats all you need it for, then why don't you buy a luggage type of trailer, jurgens xt something comes to mind. They are off road trailers with about 15" wheels. You don' mentionthe price range that those trailers are...
Edge I will not advise that trailer for the intended use up in mountains as the Jurgens trailers use rubber suspension axles and the are more prone to suffering damage when off road loaded.

Tim I would recommend you look at the following factors when deciding on the trailer.

1. Look at the mounting points for the springs front and back as they are going to take a lot of " hammering" . Look atht eh welds on those brackets and see which is the strongest neatest weld.

2. Spare wheel location - Any off road trailer that is intended for off road use should not have the spare wheel under neath it as they tend to catch on all things and also hamper the towing vehicle progress at times. Spare wheel should be mounted either on the a - frame of on the back on a sturdy swing away carrier.

3. Axle, make sure that the axle can handle the weight and leverage effect of big wheels as some are prone for axle failures due to small bearings. Looking at the hub should give you an indication, try to see how big the rear oil seal is as they are usually located behind the inner bearing.

4. Look at the way the a frame joins the chassis as this is a weak spot on trailers and some tend to crack here which can ruin a trip.

I personally dont like the makro range of trailers. Feel they are priced good, but some work is really a bit tacky. M2cw
Johan Marais
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

I think for 22K you will get somebody to build you one hell of a off road trailer if you only need to transport the goods you said...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
HiluxRaider2.7
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: HiluxD4D

Post by HiluxRaider2.7 »

tvhsa: hiya - we also needed a bit more space and decided on a standard +/- 6ft trailer. after home work done, decided on the Savuti.
Reason: Paid R19000 at venter after neg. First - The gas bottles must fly, replaced with nose loadbin - fits 100% and now looks the part.
The axle is stronger than standard makro trailers and if you decide on a quick rooftop, it can take a 1.6m easy.
The rims/wheels are the same as the standard type plaasbakkies, so should you need a tyre or rim..... easy to be on your way again.
Oh yes, and fully loaded, sand driving up and down dunes.... with my 2.7 was great fun and no effort - hope it helps. cheers
Hilux 2.7d/cab, Fortuner 4.0v6

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”