Advice on Camping Trailers PLS

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Blitzkrieg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Glen Marais
Vehicle: 94 Hilux D/C V8 Lexus. 2009 LC Prado 4.0 V6

Advice on Camping Trailers PLS

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Hi Hiluxers,
I need your knowledge and advise please.
I work in the Kongo and whenever I go on leave (2 weeks) the girlfriend, me and the two sons (2 & 7) want to go camping.
The camping trailers out there all look good but I need advice on choosing the correct one.

1. It will mostly be used in SA
2. Need room for 2 adults 2 kids
3. A kitchen will be a huge advantage
4. I have the Hilux V8 or Prado V6 to tow it
5. Willing to spend R80 000 all inclusive.
6. Something that won't crumble up when it sees a gravel road.

Please give me some pointers in what to buy, what to look for and positives and negatives of a camping trailer.

Thanks!
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Re: Advice on Camping Trailers PLS

Post by Baasvark »

What I am going to do is hire a trailer at first. Costs range between R350 - R750/day.

That way you don't have a significant cash outlay for something that only gets used 2-3 times per year and it's already well rigged and maintained.

I can also test the different models, their layout etc. and that will help me decide what works for me.

I understand that the conqueror trailers are (supposedly) better that the Echo's. Cannot vouch for this though.

It is a schlep to fetch and return the trailers everytime but might be the best initial option. Better than being stuck with something that you find out doesn't work for you...

Anyway my 2c.....
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Blitzkrieg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Glen Marais
Vehicle: 94 Hilux D/C V8 Lexus. 2009 LC Prado 4.0 V6

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Baasvark wrote:What I am going to do is hire a trailer at first. Costs range between R350 - R750/day.

That way you don't have a significant cash outlay for something that only gets used 2-3 times per year and it's already well rigged and maintained.

I can also test the different models, their layout etc. and that will help me decide what works for me.

I understand that the conqueror trailers are (supposedly) better that the Echo's. Cannot vouch for this though.

It is a schlep to fetch and return the trailers everytime but might be the best initial option. Better than being stuck with something that you find out doesn't work for you...

Anyway my 2c.....
Thanks for the input.
What trailers did you hire so far?
And which ones do you prefer?
Pumba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC112

Post by Pumba »

:wave:
Last edited by Pumba on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it." Mark 10:27(Message)

Pumba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC112

Post by Pumba »

Pumba wrote:I've had an Echo 3 and own a Jurgens XT 140 currently.

On the upside:
loved the complete kitchen and cupboard section of the Echo as well as the pressurised tap(optional ekstras). Both trailers has the same tent shape which works well for us. (Roof tent with drop down, awning over the kitchen and stoep awning) The Jurgens has an add-a-room that zip's onto the drop down which is fantastic for the boy's. The hook-on-basin was a big plus for the wife on the Echo. The Echo has a 100L water tank and the Jurgens has two 35L tanks which I like because then you can make one drinking water and the other bathroom or from another point of view, if the one becomes contaminated for some or other reason you have some that's ok.

On the down side:
The Jurgens doesn't have the kitchen and cupboard setup. In my opinion, the Jurgens tows better than the Echo and is better build for the off road. I like the Howling moon tent more than the Echo tent. The Echo 3 doesn't have space for a fridge in the trailer but the Jurgens has a slider

Both has:
2 jerry can and gas bottle holders.
Enough space to load stuff -don't underestimate the Jurgens
Both has battery systems(if they were fitted)
Jurgens has a nose cone the Echo not

Both works for us. Personalisation is key in my opinion and personal taste play's a big part in what you choose. It's like trying to decide which 4x4 to buy - What works for you doesn't necessarily work for me.

A fried of mine has a Conqueror which, after seeing that, was the reason we decided to go that way.

Good luck with the search!
Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it." Mark 10:27(Message)

Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Blitzkrieg wrote:
Baasvark wrote:What I am going to do is hire a trailer at first. Costs range between R350 - R750/day.

Anyway my 2c.....
Thanks for the input.
What trailers did you hire so far?
And which ones do you prefer?
Haven't hired any yet. Next year. 2 months ago I was in the same situation as you are. It was then that I decided to rather hire/rent for a start.

I am currently busy rigging a Troopy that I bought 4 months ago. Hopefully I will get the time/opportunity to test it out next year. All depends on work. We are expecting a strike at about the time I need to go on leave.... So time will tell.

Have a look on the Conqueror website under rentals.
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Also look at the Metalian range - http://www.metalian.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

speak to HENK about all the options - https://www.facebook.com/Ultimate.Overland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS - I would also rent first ....

It comes down to a trade off between space vs ease of setting up camp. There are some small towns on two wheels, but they take half the holiday to setup.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I was also going to suggest Metallian, reports of after-sales service have been excellent compared to some of the other trailers.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

I agree first rent one and see if pitching the tent is to your liking.......it takes a few min to pitch an with small kids it is up to you and the girlfriend. Use an echo 4 myself.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

What I have seen is that most take about 45 mins set up time and the same to pack away...
Do not own one and have never done this myself...
Will be looking for a gravel roader in a couple of years time for semi permanent accommodation...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”