Battery charging and solar panel set up.

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Post Reply
Hunter26
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:10 pm
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Isuzu
Real Name: Craig

Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:32 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong place,still trying to navigate here.

Can anyone send me. 2 drawing to :

1) Charge 3 batteries in a vehicle with equipment required ie vehicle and 2 others from the vehicles alternator..

2) A solar charging panel and equipment to charge 2 batteries ie vehicle and auxillary battery.

Thanking you kindly.
Craig

Craig
Isuzu 250D 4x2 with diffy lock
1 x Humorous Driver
GPS,Dashcam,tyre levers
I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me - Kyle my son.

User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)
Real Name: Chris

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:01 pm

Craig is that the primary battery plus two additional batteries at the back ?


Will the two at the back be in parallel, or service different loads ??? This is pretty important to plan the correct system.

Hunter26
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:10 pm
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Isuzu
Real Name: Craig

Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:06 pm

ChrisF wrote:Craig is that the primary battery plus two additional batteries at the back ?


Will the two at the back be in parallel, or service different loads ??? This is pretty important to plan the correct system.
Hi Chris

First set of diagrams I need is a solar panel set up to charge Primary and secondary batteries off solar panels as what is done when people are overlanding.ie when traveling vehicle charges Prim and secondary batteries but when in camp solar takes over.

second set of diagrams : alternator is to charge primary battery and 2 other secondary batteries off same alternator when traveling. Which ever is cheaper to design and build ie parallel connected (12v) or series connect (24v). This is needed for site as the two batteries in the back of bakkie will be needed to jump start machinery in the field. A change over switch will be connected to the batteries where ,if a vehicle has 24v the switch will connect the batteries into series and if the vehicle is 12v then switch will connect the 2 batteries into parallel (12v).

I need components to buy and ratings of components needed,make of components, Sorry I am not an electronic guru.
Isuzu 250D 4x2 with diffy lock
1 x Humorous Driver
GPS,Dashcam,tyre levers
I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me - Kyle my son.

User avatar
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:45 am
Town: Jhb - Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - Kitted for overlanding
Real Name: Kobus
Club VHF Licence: HC152
Location: Highlands North - Jhb
Contact:

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:28 pm

So you want the two different circuits installed simultaneously and be able to switch between overlanding mode and jump-start mode?
I am sure the gurus are busy drawing diagrams with fuses, thick cables, connectors etc as we speak. An interesting topic - subscribed...

Hunter26
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:10 pm
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Isuzu
Real Name: Craig

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:47 am

subok wrote:So you want the two different circuits installed simultaneously and be able to switch between overlanding mode and jump-start mode?
I am sure the gurus are busy drawing diagrams with fuses, thick cables, connectors etc as we speak. An interesting topic - subscribed...
One application is for one vehicle ie solar panel set up for my Dads vehicle.

The other is for a work vehicle in the field.

Craig
Isuzu 250D 4x2 with diffy lock
1 x Humorous Driver
GPS,Dashcam,tyre levers
I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me - Kyle my son.

User avatar
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:45 am
Town: Jhb - Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - Kitted for overlanding
Real Name: Kobus
Club VHF Licence: HC152
Location: Highlands North - Jhb
Contact:

Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:25 am

Craig, do a search for 'Electrickery' - ChrisF wrote good articles which will guide you on the overlanding setup.

Hunter26
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:10 pm
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Isuzu
Real Name: Craig

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:04 am

Great,thanks

Craig
Isuzu 250D 4x2 with diffy lock
1 x Humorous Driver
GPS,Dashcam,tyre levers
I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me - Kyle my son.

User avatar
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:45 am
Town: Jhb - Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - Kitted for overlanding
Real Name: Kobus
Club VHF Licence: HC152
Location: Highlands North - Jhb
Contact:

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:19 pm

Craig, it sits here.
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... p?t=187502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The issue with 12v/24v switching is higher grade stuff:oops:

User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Langpad (RAV4)
Real Name: Chris

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Craig I think most of what you need for "overlanding" is dealth with here:
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... p?t=187502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here -
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=37810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Charging batteries for field use - the solution depends on the money you want to spend vs the surety you need in the field ....

PERSONALLY -
on the line supplying your primary Mark 4 Power Panel put an extra Brad Harrison plug - now you can connect another one or 12A HCdP chargers to the front (check the wire size - IF you are sticking with using one OR the other then the 10mm2 wire is okay).

Now make up mobile battery boxes - one for the primary setup, and one extra unit .. using brad harison plugs it should be easy to remove these batteries. You are ready for a 12V jump in the field.


for 24V jump .... uhm .... think that will take some in field rewiring to put them in series ....

Hunter26
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:10 pm
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Isuzu
Real Name: Craig

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:19 pm

ChrisF wrote:Craig I think most of what you need for "overlanding" is dealth with here:
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... p?t=187502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here -
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=37810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Charging batteries for field use - the solution depends on the money you want to spend vs the surety you need in the field ....

PERSONALLY -
on the line supplying your primary Mark 4 Power Panel put an extra Brad Harrison plug - now you can connect another one or 12A HCdP chargers to the front (check the wire size - IF you are sticking with using one OR the other then the 10mm2 wire is okay).

Now make up mobile battery boxes - one for the primary setup, and one extra unit .. using brad harison plugs it should be easy to remove these batteries. You are ready for a 12V jump in the field.


for 24V jump .... uhm .... think that will take some in field rewiring to put them in series ....
Thanks a million Chris, I'm just absorbing your first Electrical Thesus,very well written and so understandable. I will continue to read further on the other threads . thanks so much.
Isuzu 250D 4x2 with diffy lock
1 x Humorous Driver
GPS,Dashcam,tyre levers
I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me - Kyle my son.

User avatar
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 4056
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 4:07 pm
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Real Name: Val
Club VHF Licence: X112

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:00 pm

Hey Chris, just read and tried to understand to the best of my ability the post on the electrical setup on the 4x4 comm forum... It is very informative thanks, and I think I understand most of it... Off to Kagalagadi next month (yes in those temps with 4x4 trailer, solar panels, fridges etc... and hope above all hope that I don't land up having to drink warm water or throw away tons of defrosted, rotten food.... eish... maybe when I take my hilux and trailer to Hoppy at the beginning of next week you can pop around there and check whether it is all wired up properly... :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: In anticipation... Oh and Hoppy never did the wiring for my trailer batteries, fridge, and solar panel, it was done by the trailer people....(but who knows if they did it correctly???????)
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users