Any info regarding the Maxi shade 270 awning

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Any info regarding the Maxi shade 270 awning

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I am in the final stages of my dedicated camper build and am now in the process of looking at the various 270 awnings available on the market.My first choice would be the Ostrich Wing, but if I can find something cheaper I would consider looking at it.
I recently traveled to Port Elizabeth and looked at an awning at one of the national stores selling their brand and I was very dissapointed with the overall design and it was very flimsy.I realize that one cannot compare an awning which costs much less than the OS-WING to the OS-WING, BUT I feel there are possibly other similar awnings available on the market.
I have looked at the pics of the Maxi-shade 270 which is supplied by Custom Leasure Tech and it looks okay in the pics.Has anyone any knowledge or experience regarding this awning and is willing to share it with me.

I have also considered making the awning myself as per the selfbuilt awnings some of our members have built and shared with us.
Help my with my CHOICE !!!!!!!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Any info regarding the Maxi shade 270 awning

Post by Haboob »

Mostly you pay for what you get, If the pics look cheap it will be.
Are the arms thick (25X50 mm) and doubled, one above the other with strengthening supports between the two?
Adverts are normally small pictures which can be misleading so request better pictures of the arms and joints which will give you a better idea...
Good luck with your build, you must come show me sometime...
Andy (Mud Dog) also wants a look see. Will we see when we go out to Wade (Third Geer) for the mountain drive or are you too busy at work?
Wade (Third Geer) says probably next month, they are just waiting for the summer rains to make things a little more interesting in the mountains. How far has Wade (Third Geer) got with his engine rebuild?
Find out from Charles (Cousin) if we can do the mountains we missed out on last time when the weather closed us out...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Tony.
it is a pity that these guys are a bit far.
http://www.hdmanufacturing.co.za/shade- ... ing-awning
We had a look at them and it is very good quality.All made out of stainless steel
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

George, Do you have any prices for these awnings...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

I have the HDM 270 deg awning. VERY good quality made from stainless steel. Stands up to strong winds and opens up in 15 sec. Will recommend it any day. I don't know how to add the photo otherwise I would!
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

I paid R6,5k for mine last year
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Thanks a stack for the late reply to my post Pieter.
I eventually built my own 270 awning from stainless steel tubing and had the canvas work done by a caravan repair company in East London.
I also made another type of closed tent awning and fitted it to the other side of my camper.
You can view the finished awning on my post " my hilux camper build " on this forum.

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”