Porta-potty.

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Porta-potty.

Post by Oupa Stig »

So during the last few weeks I'd been organising the fundraiser at Piesangkloof, which turned out to be a huge success.
However, during the advertising processes I'd notified all and sundry about the fact that there are absolutely no facilities available, neither on the trail nor at the braai area afterwards. Maritza and her husband, owners of Piesangkloof, were not there on the weekend, and so we had no access to any toilet facilities either. I'd made this clear to all prospective participants, but here and there I could detect a bit of nervousness from some of the gents being subjected to thin lips from their female halves...
Thus I'd decided to take along our little porta-potty which we had gotten along with our camper a while back. Never having used the thing it took me a while to figure out the assembly and operation, but finally I was satisfied that it would do the job.
On the day I'd made a point of letting any female passengers (and one female driver) know that I had plonked the thing down in some bushes, providing the bare minimum of privacy for any users. I also made a point of letting all and sundry know CLEARLY that it was only to be used for a wee. I had provided a spade for more serious calls of nature. I had to wash the thing out afterwards after all.... :beg:
Everything ran smoothly, and after everyone had left on Saturday afternoon we cleaned up the braai area and collected our stuff, including said pot. I did not want to empty it out in the bush there - seemed a bit nasty, so I loaded it as it was - loaded.
At home I put it to one side so as not to tempt our 2year old to fiddle with it, and promptly forgot about it. An hour ago I suddenly recalled this darn pot with horror....
And yes.
It had been pooped in.
:thumbdown:
Big was my disgust.
But cleaned it had to be.
:sick:

And here's the thing: it is amazing how easy and user friendly this little pot is to clean out. Sure, the first whiff as you drain it is rather un-appetising, but it is really well designed for ease of cleaning. Bear in mind, this thing is simply a container for fluid at the top, incorporating a seat and a hole, and a second container at the bottom for the "product".

I know, I know, nasty subject, but it is a reality, and I am really impressed. This little thing makes a lady's life so much easier, and thus so much more willing to accompany you on that bush break-away. As men we forget the stuff they have to put up with to be in our company - If I can make this bit somewhat easier for her I'll gladly do it.
And it is not at all bulky - measuring 41cm by 38cm by 28cm high.

And the biggest advantage for overlanding is that it is basically hollow, so while on-route you can store stuff inside to save space. :twisted: :twisted:
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Re: Porta-potty.

Post by Thunder02 »

Love the story, we have a rule at Kontiki, if you use, you clean. It's amazing how many times the potty has come off the raft (after a weekend) and has not been used :laugh2:
You now need to pimp your potty and mount it on the tow bar :twisted:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Ja, could not really say "you use, you clean" at this event, hehehe. This potty is freestanding, no need for towbars. Might invest in one of those shower stalls though. And a microwave. And tv....

These comforts are really not my style, I used to go camping in two-man tent and sleeping bag. With the addition of a family the camp-kit simply grows out of control. Hehehe
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Oupa Stig, i can second that, "with a family the camp kit simply get out of control" before my wife and I use to camp all over SA coastline with our pop up tent and use our surf board bags as matresses now with a family, we got a whizz24 tent and a trailer, even a 10l solar shower to was the little one........ but still fun never the less.

I will never forget our first bush camp together in the Transkei, (we were not married at the time) she needed to go and there was no where toilets but a bush, was an experiance she broke down but after that trip she doesnt mind a place with no facilities.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Hehehe, Ismail, my first date with my wife was a camping trip with nothing but my two man tent and a gas stove.... :laugh2:
Maar ja, kids....
Camping becomes complicated :D:
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

First date. That must of been quite of an impression : )
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Porta Potti certainly is theeee easiest way to keep mommy happy.

Using the Thetford chemicals is has ZERO smell !!

Pink chemicals in the upper container - used to flush the unit.

Blue chemicals and about a liter of water in the bottom container.

After one trip I forgot about the porta ... and jip, it had some solids in it .... was a few weeks later that I realised hier is nou groot bollie .... NO, and I mean absolutely NO smell when I drained it into the toilet. Okay, once the chemicals was out there was a bit of a wiff from the slight remains in the container.

Good dose of JIK and I filled it with water ...

Pop-up shower, and a porta potti is just so easy and convenient if you want to host a small event. Those used to the small spade take care of themselves, and you dont scare of the others. :)
Oupa Stig

Post by Oupa Stig »

Still married 12 years on, Ismail. Musta' done something right. Hehehe.
Chris, must admit, I did not have the correct chemicals, simply did not have time beforehand to go and buy some. Grabbed some Jeyes Fluid from the kitchen on our way out the Saturday morning, added to top reservoir. Obviously did not do the same job as the proper chemicals would have done, but worked OK for the emergency.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

hehehe ....

that jays fluid must have reaked !!

Next trip to your 4x4 camping store pick up some "green powder". Stays fresh longer, and takes less space to cart along. Apparently it also works well, though we never actually used it - still had Thetford left when we sold Elders.

My wife was a bit miffed to hear the porta went with Elders ... hehehe ....
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Had to take one for a camp and bought the 5 liter bottle of chemicals for about R70 and that should last for years.But still would like to build a box for it for those bumpy roads.

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”