Garmin / GPS Advice

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Garmin / GPS Advice

Post by Jaws »

Hi one of my work colleges fathers bought a Fortunes on my recommendation about two years ago (before anybody was aware of the roll over thing). He is 64 years old and has never owned a 4x4 and is planning to explore the country when he retires, so I thought the Fortuner would be his best bet. He seems to be very happy with the car so far. Now he would like to buy a GPS, usually I am up-to date with all the latest electronic gadgets but I must admit for some reason I have never quite got into the GPS thing. So any advice would be appreciated. Please see his email below:

Emma suggested I put to you my approx requirements for a Garmin. I confess first firstly that I know little about them and so may not really know what I want. I’m looking for advice on what to get or who to speak to for that.

I’m basically looking for one which will be good for exploring out of the way places in Southern Africa both in the car and to some extent on foot (and therefore providing similar topographical / contour / footpaths even as say the local 1:50 000 scale maps). We’d also like one which gives the more normal street directions for local towns and cities (which is becoming more common in cellphones?) but that is really of secondary importance. I’m more concerned about one which is good for those requirements rather than compromising because of price. I did have a look on the website a while ago and while it gave an idea of what was available I didn’t feel it gave me enough to actually choose one.

I’m using Garmin as a generic term – others possibly better or better / more frequently updated software? Tom tom?

Any thoughts would be most welcome even if only to point me in the right direction for info.
Thanks and regards
John
:thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Garmin / GPS Advice

Post by CasKru »

Herman... have a look at the following Garmin Models:

276Csx (oldish model but still excellent-mostly for vehicle)
Collorado (brand new model - in vehicle and probably the best handheld)
76CSx (oldish model - in vehicle and hand held)
Quest SA(outgoing model - in vehicle and handheld)
To God be the glory
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Jaws »

Dankie Cassie :clap:

Het gedink ek moet hom ook na Louis toe stuur by 4x4 MegaWorld, John is van Benoni maar ek is seker hy sal nie omgee om te ry nie.
Irishman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Saldanha
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux Double Cab

Post by Irishman »

Go to www.gpsconsultants.co.za. Then speak to the guy His name is Ken Boulton, and he writes for S.A 4X4 phone 0825643693
Ron.
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Jaws »

Wow thanks Ron - will forward the details to John
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Also speak to Family_Bulldog, his company also is a Garmin Agent
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Working on Cassie's list...

CasKru wrote:Herman... have a look at the following Garmin Models:

276Csx (oldish model but still excellent-mostly for vehicle)
Still the King of GPS's, but you're looking at R12,000 for the complete package with AutoNav kit.

Collorado (brand new model - in vehicle and probably the best handheld)
Yes.... but look also at the Nuvi 500, which is waterproof as well.

76CSx (oldish model - in vehicle and hand held)
Nope - too old.

Quest SA(outgoing model - in vehicle and handheld)
Good choice - I have only one in stock at R3600.00, brand new.

Otherwise, go to http://www.garmin.com and you can select various models and do a comparison on them. You might also consider the Nuvi 710, which is very user-friendly and has a large screen, selling at the bigger stores for lower prices that we Dealers can even get from Avnic :evil: :evil:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Family_BullDog wrote: Otherwise, go to http://www.garmin.com and you can select various models and do a comparison on them. You might also consider the Nuvi 710, which is very user-friendly and has a large screen, selling at the bigger stores for lower prices that we Dealers can even get from Avnic :evil: :evil:
-F_D
Eric.. is the Nuvi 710 not for on road use only? :eh:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

No, it and the 760 can be used offroad to a certain degree. You can follow routes with it and even set a bread crumb trail if you wish. Quite a nice GPS at the price, but not as effective as the Quest, 276, etc.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Jaws »

Family_BullDog wrote: , selling at the bigger stores for lower prices that we Dealers can even get from Avnic :evil: :evil:

-F_D
Hi Eric thanks for the honesty - Yes In my younger day I had a sideline business selling PC`s and I had the same problem where it was becoming impossible to compete with the bigger stores :( , only really made some money with charging them for call outs.
Irishman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Saldanha
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux Double Cab

Post by Irishman »

Sorry Mr Dog, I forgot about you :oops:
Ron.
Martin K
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i SC

Post by Martin K »

I have used the Garmin 60 CS for years. It is very good as a hand held when hiking and so on but awful for driving unless you have a navigator on board to use the thing for you. The screen is too small for driving and the interface fiddly. For hiking it is wonderful and also excellent for cycling.

I have just recently been given a nuvi760 and it is fantastic for on board navigation. Touch screen is easy to use and the interface very intuitive. I have loaded tracks4africa onto it with no problem. Garmin support has been very good in my experience.

I looked at the nuvi500 as an option. It is sold as a multipurpose device but for hiking you need to be able to simply change penlight batteries rather than the whole rechargeable battery story as hikes can last a lot longer than the 8 hours you get on a battery charge. I also thought the 500 screen a little small for driving.

When I think back on my young days with topo maps, compass and trying to work out magnetic declination I am way pleased about this GPS technology. Thing is a map and compass never needed a battery.

Oh yes, the nuvi 760 cost 5K at due south with maps loaded
A story with a happy ending is a story that hasn't ended yet
Fdp
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 97' 2.8Dt Hilux DC

Post by Fdp »

I am also looking to upgrade my GPS. I think the Nuvi 500 is one of the best value for money and red somewhere it basically replaced the Quest.
It seams to be a good all rounder especially if you do some hiking, biking as well (Not that you need to because your Hilux will never let you down but some of us still braves the elements on foot or mountain bikes.)

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”