tent met mif

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

tent met mif

Post by Gertc »

Stukkende tent.

Ek het n tent wat so bietjie mif gekry het en nie meer so lekker water dig is nie. Is daar iets op die mark waarmee ek hom kan prober seel? Al gedink aan iets soos rhino lining. Sal nie die moeite werd wees om panele te vervang nie. Elke panel het omtrend mif gekry.

Ek het die tent nuut gekoop, 3 keer gebruik. Hom verkoop .Tent was deur vorige eienaar nat/ klam af geslaan. 9 maande later het ek my ou tent trug gekoop met die gedagte dat hy mooi op gepas was.

Wat n skok wou hom weg gooi toe ek sien my tent was nat op geslaan. Maar dit is darm net die tent en nie die 3.4m x 3.4m extention wat mif gekry het. so as ek die tent met sy extention gebruik dan behoor ek droog teslaap.
DSCI0001 (Small).JPG
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: tent met mif

Post by Mud Dog »

If there are no rot holes, then wash by hand with a little jik in the water to kill the mould spores. Erect the tent and let it dry out completely. In the old days they used wax to seal the canvas but I'm sure that you can get silicone liquid sprays that will work better and be easier to apply. Aerosols will work out a bit pricey I think (I used that myself), but there are products you can spray on with a garden sprayer. Ask at your local hardware. Good luck. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Thanks I totally forgot about silicon spray. I will try it in a peace of cloth first. The tent cost me R 9000 when it was new. So even if I had to spend R500 to get it water proof I wouldn’t mind.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Then it's definitely worth it. All the best.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C
Club VHF Licence: N019

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

Hi Gert

Bel vir Christo in Middelburg Tel 013 2432642 se vir hom jy het sy nr by my gekry hy sal jou dalk kan help met iets
123 WEG MP
2011 Hilux Vigo 3.0 D4D D/C
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Gert.
I agree with Mud Dog.Clean your tent with Jik.Let it dry.
Get some waterproofing for Canvas from Camp World,OW,Co-op.It comes in a tin
Waterproofing.jpg
Waterproofing.jpg (6.74 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Outdoor Warehouse sell a spray can of canvas tent treatment/seam sealer/mif inhibitor, it might not be the right thing for this job, but every 2nd or 3rd time we go camping, I erect the tents and treat all the seams with this stuff... works really well. My oldest tent is about 10 years old and she still doesn't leak, KayWay Stormy(no relation to the Stormers, as they've been leaking all season :twisted: ). The product is also available in a nylon treatment version...

B
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Gerge / Bretton, good to know of those products. Thanks for the tip.

Gert, When you clean the tent, don't overdo it with the jik ..... about a tea cup in 20 lit water will do the trick. Jik is Chloine based and Chlor attacks / weakens all synthetics.
:thumbup:

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

My mom has one of these little green steam machines ( my wife now also has one :shock: :shock: ) and she use that on just about anything from cleaning the fridge to removing mildew from the shower tiles and also cleaning the caravan tent so I guess something like that may also work well to clean your tent from the "muf".
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Cleaning is not the problem. The problem is that some places you can almost see thru the tent. And I need to get it water proof again.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Bennie, I think steam cleaning will remove the waterproofing waxes. It does kill / remove most mould though.

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”