expedition hilux

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Stevoort [Belgium]
Vehicle: Hilux double cab

expedition hilux

Post by Dalux »

hello,

i am doubting about what i should take as a tent, a rooftent, a ground tent or a camper trailer.
maybe you guys can help me decide :)

thx
a phone that is as tough as a toyota hilux? --> the SONIM XP3 QUEST! BUILD FOR LIVE
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: expedition hilux

Post by Mr_B »

In my opinion if you are going to do alot of short stints of stopping and going... then a rooftop tent can't be beat in terms of easy of use... setting up and taking down is quick... but they usually offer limited space... if you intend staying places for a bit longer, 2+ days at one spot, a good ground tent is great... climbing the ladder of the rooftop gets a bit tedious on longer stays... if you got a lot of stuff to take and can afford a decent camper trailer... then the camper trailer is unbeatable... again it takes some time to setup... so it would not be suitable for stop and go trips... but you can pack everything including the kitchen sink! Even fit the wife and kids in the loadbin!

B :wave:
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

Post by lukestrugnell »

Ground tent gets my vote!

3 reasons:

1: cheaper!
2: can keep it set up at your camp when in a park and go game viewing (mine has overhangs so put lots of my junk under these when out of camp. Seems to be pretty baboon and monkey proof!
3: on our trip last year in Malawi there are some camping sites on the lake where you can put your ground tent next to water. Was very nice! if I had a roof top I would have had to sleep in car park! Its more flexible!

If your worried about animals, dont be, we had lions, hyena, and ele around our ground tent in bots and no worries!
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dalux »

my first goal is to ride al the way to italy, and then search a camping to stand with a tent, and stay at that camping the whole week, but we want to go bike riding around the garda lake, but the car would stay on the camping site.
i tought about a 3dog trailer(offroad) and then a little ground tent to take with us, but then again, i like the rooftents to, we also have tought about sleeping in the hilux, iin the "laadbak" :)
so i can't figure it out right now :)
a phone that is as tough as a toyota hilux? --> the SONIM XP3 QUEST! BUILD FOR LIVE
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I would have to agree with Luke for reasons mentioned. Also, a trailer is cumbersome, so one might want to keep the rooftop area for a carrier (extra load space). A ground tent is less weight and takes up less space.
Sleeping in the bak is a bad option, preferably this should be kept as a lockable storage. You would have to unpack every night and repack each morning. Foodstuff left out might attract unwanted animal attention, your meat packs might draw carnivores, and baboons can wreck everything in minutes. Also with a D/C, the load bin is small and your feet would stick out. The only lion attack that I am aware of involving a ground tent is where a guy did just that, slept with his feet out the tent .... he was dragged out by the feet and completely ravaged :thumbdown:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

As mentioned, RTTs are great when you are planning to stay in one place for a long time and lets face it, lions can climb too :shock: :shock:

As we have a 4yr old laatie, we use a ground tent (3x3 canvas bow) for space. And at the moment it takes up a bit of space in the bak but it is worth it. We can stand up in it, it fits a queen and single size blow up matress, so the laatie gets his own and there is still space for bags and other things that need to be kept away from the monkeys.

I thought about a RTT but the cons out weighed the pros.

Perhaps if we were doing a world tour without any kids I would have gone for the RTT but they are way to small for three I reckon.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I agree with you Luke 100%

I've um'd and er'd about getting a RTT in the past

Then whilst we were away this Easter we had a campstand next to a Namibian KZ with a RTT. Just watching them having to pack everything up everytime they wanted to go out and game drive/get provisions made my mind up for me. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :thumbdown:

The aerodynamics of a RTT is not too clever too hey :roll:

But if you like the "look at me and my toys" effect........ :roll:

At the MMC09 one of our party turned up with a throw tent (instant tent), now that's impressive hey :clap: :wink:
Joshua
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4

Post by Joshua »

Hi Dalux,

This being an expedition or Overlanding trip through Africa, I think the trailer will only weigh you down and in severe sand/mud conditions, a trailer can rob you of much needed power and momentum. Maybe if you are a couple of vehicles that can help you, you could take the trailer, but I would not do it.
I would rather suggest the aluminium canopies, you can nicely rig your vehicle out with the same stuff you would put in the trailer, and have it accessible too.
I bought my RTT for Botswana, and I enjoyed it tremendously. It keeps you safe and away from all creatures, carnivores and others. It is also warmer and more insulated to sleep on the roof than on the ground/mud. Folding it up is also really not an issue, you can open and close it in a matter of minutes, and you don't have to battle with an airbed that might develop leaks. Yes it could be a schlep if you want to drive around, but pitching it up or down is really not such a hassle.
If you travel by day and sleep in another camp every night, it is very handy. If you do stay over a couple of days at a site, then it is worthwhile taking another ground tent that is used as "Kitchen/preparation/relaxation" area, not neccessarily for sleeping.
If I were to do that expedition/overlanding trip, that would be my combination : No trailer, Alucab canopy, with an extra ground tent for the rest of the activities. Hope this helps.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I would not trade my RTT for anything. It is perfect for quick overnight stops, opens and closes in a flash, last time we timed it it took 10 minutes either way. My other half have a thing about crawleys that come in along the ground, (insects, scorpions, centipedes, spiders etc etc,and oh yes, snakes... ) :shock: :shock: :shock: not so much the elephants, lions, hyenas, etc, and therefore the RTT also makes her feel more comfortable. Climbing the ladder is part of the fun :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You are exactly right Christo. We also take along a ground tent to pitch for longer periods which then serves as a "store room/kitchen/whatever". But then again we never hang around at any one place for much longer than about 3 days, before we break up camp and move on to the next location. Going on a game drive is easy, as I said, it takes 10 minutes to stow the RTT and off we go. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would not use a trailer, because they hamper your progress, they are heavy and reversing a trailer down any kind of steep off-road track is a busturd. Also a lot of National Parks restrict driving on some of their trails/track where they will not allow vehicles with trailers. This can be a logistical problem as you would have to repack your vehicle, and double back to get the trailer. Also, I found that Kaspaas has more than enough space for the 2 of us to take a lot of stuff on a long trip, if I pack it correctly. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Christo, I would avoid the duplication, especially since space is usually at a premium and then one also tries to eliminate excess weight for obvious reasons. It would be either or, I think, and then I would still opt for the ground tent. Even with blow up matrass it packs lighter and smaller. Then I have my complete roof carrier space available for those items that don't mind being outside ... can even fit a weatherproof roof pod for those things that do.
Thuys, I hear what you're saying and understand your thinking / reasoning. BTW a tent with built in grond sheet keeps the crawleys out. This is one of those "horses for courses" topics, I think. :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Mud Dog wrote:This is one of those "horses for courses" topics, I think. :wink:
100%

In the same category as engine conversions me thinks;

Costly as all hell, but defended to the hilt by the owner :roll: :wink:

Maybe when the kids are married off enol....... :wink:
Scooter
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
Nail on the head there Rich. Notice most of the guys opting for RTTs don't have kids to worry about :!: :!:

No kids - RTT
With Kids - GT :thumbup: :thumbup:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dalux »

haha i don't have kids, but im not going to take the rtt, because it's wright, if you're stuck in mud or sand, you need to pull the trailer out of it to, i haven't tought about that
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Scooter wrote:
Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
Nail on the head there Rich. Notice most of the guys opting for RTTs don't have kids to worry about :!: :!:

No kids - RTT
With Kids - GT :thumbup: :thumbup:
Guys

I have a normal ground tent, RTT for my car, RTT on an offroad trailer a quick erect tent and the latest addition is a caravan with tents both sides. I have good memories using all of them.

Have not used the caravan but I am more a boendoes guy but the kids sometimes want to go to the more busy places with swimming pools facilities etc. which is carava n territory, so for now I will not rate it, but other then that my preference is as follows:

1. Offroad trailer - Going away is so quick and easy, grab your cloths, food and with in an hour of starting to prepare your weekend away trip you can be hitched and ready to go. We sometimes like to do things on the spur of the moment and since the trailer is always packed with its dedicated camp gear it just makes things much easier.

2. RTT for the car. It is so quick to erect or pack up and makes life easy at the camp but a schlep to get it onto the car at home as Charmaine can't handle the one side by herself and I can not hoist it on as the car cant get into the garage with it fitted.

The reason why I prefer it is simple. I am a large person and do need a mattress that supports my back properly on a firm straight area. For the car's RTT I just got an extra 35mm of high density foam to aid the existing mattress and now she sleeps much more comfy and with the RTT on the trailer we have a queen size bed and a decent mattress. The trailer's tent does also have the room (T top type) but I do not want the kids in my tent no more as I want privacy so I got them the quick erect from Louis at Megaworld.

3. Quick erect for the kids.

4. The normal ground tent aka dome tent served me well when that was the only tent I had but may you RIP on the top shelf in the garage.

My main reason for my choice is getting a good night's sleep. I hate camping and getting up with a sore back. When I did not have anything else the ground tent and the blow up doll ag ek meen matress :lol: :lol: did its job but what a schlep to inflate the mattress and you must sleep on top of two blankets and below two else the cold just creeps in from beneath. I am to large for stretcher beds. I had the aerospace mattress which supported my back very well if inflated very hard, But they are quite expensive but I had to top her up every night with air. That unfortunately ended with a long thorn killing it. I then bought a cheaper Coleman mattress and never slept as comfy again on a air mattress, but I have had my share and do not want to go that route again if I can help it.

So its a question of what is your need. I would suggest start off with a cheap ground tent and then check out other peoples set ups and see what you like. Compare the pro's and cons and see what would suite your unique circumstances the best and then make an informed patient decision on what to acquire next.

Do not get a disease we call "camp fever" where you go into the camping store and buy all the nice things the salesman tries to flaunt you . Over the years I got camp fever once or twice (luckily only mildly) buying what seemed to be a very good idea in the store but then back at camp you realised you waisted your money.

My set-up I acquired over the course of almost 10 years so do not go and buy things in haste. Rather look at what you really need. Less is more. The more comforts you take along the more work you have to do setting up camp and packing up afterwards.
SuidWes
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Costly as all hell, but defended to the hilt by the owner
Yes Rich, before we had one we also struggled to see the logic :wink: :angel:

I also have both a 3x3 GT and a RTT but we don't use the GT anymore.... Swambo prefers the RTT for a host of reasons:

1. Being of the ground - "Safer"
2. She does not need to help me pitch a tent.
3. Bedding goes and stays in the tent.
4. It is small but warmer than a GT and it's got a decent matress.
5. Like Thys said, opens and closes in a flash - Thys you need more practise, 5 mins tops.

What I miss about the GT:

1. Much easier to get out of when nature calls in the middle of the night.
2. When staying over at one place for more than two or three days.
3. Not having to help everyone else pitch there GT's.... :wink: :twisted:

So like most said, horses for courses... :thumbup: :arrow: Good luck with the decision but if you decide on a RTT shop around for a secondhand one. Got ours for R2500 (1/3 of the price new)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Going off topic just a little, who has pull-out awnings on their vehicles and how often do you use them? Is it a worthwhile fit, or just another never used gimmick?

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

SuidWes wrote:Thys you need more practise, 5 mins tops.
So come down to CT and we go camping, then you can give me some tips. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

SuidWes wrote:

I'm deffinately a GT camper only then :oops: :roll:

R :wink:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Going off topic just a little, who has pull-out awnings on their vehicles and how often do you use them? Is it a worthwhile fit, or just another never used gimmick?
??? Anyone .... ??

SuidWes
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Hi Andy, I recently fitted one and it works well and I will definately continiue to use it.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
SuidWes wrote:

I'm deffinately a GT camper only then :oops: :roll:

R :wink:
My Stepfather uses an empty Staysoft bottle at night when camping as he is too lazy to get out of the caravan and walk too the loo. He is in his 70s already so I guess he has an excuse.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Bennie, Bennie! ..... Did you HAVE to say a STAY-SOFT bottle!! :wth: :o:

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Mud Dog wrote:Bennie, Bennie! ..... Did you HAVE to say a STAY-SOFT bottle!! :wth: :o:
Ja well I guess all you outoppies has that problem hey :twisted:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

SOME ou toppies, not all :lol: :lol:

Martin K
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i SC

Post by Martin K »

I was very against RTT until I got talked into it and bought one. It is great to sleep in. Real luxury and easy to use. I still throw a small 2 man hiking tent into the bakkie. It is useful to "claim" your site if you need to drive around or if the vehicle cannot be driven to where you want to sleep. The pull out awning is very useful giving a place to sit or cook in bad weather. Not very expensive and much more convenient than a gazebo.
A story with a happy ending is a story that hasn't ended yet
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Have a 3.0 x 2.5m awning mounted on the Tuna. However only used it maybee 3 times the last year. Most places have shade and one tends to stand under a tree rather than in the sun. The only place it came in handy was in Moz on the beach, and then one has to take the wind into account, as the wind scoops it quickly.

Most of the time we use the eazy-up gazebo as we find it more versitile, ie. you can move it around where you want it.
The disadvantage is that it takes up quite a lot of space. I currently use the easy-up Oz-tent, it is well constucted for a not to bad price.

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”