Vehicle awning

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Vehicle awning

Post by ThysdJ »

Andy, I know Allan has one and he uses it a lot. I just park under a tree.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: expedition hilux

Post by Mr_B »

Kaspaas wrote:Andy, I know Allan has one and he uses it a lot. I just park under a tree.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thys... like you did at the dunes? I think a little awning would have been nice to get out the sun for a bit, Bennie would sure have apreciated an awning, he was getting awefully hot at one stage!

B
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Mud Dog wrote:
Going off topic just a little, who has pull-out awnings on their vehicles and how often do you use them? Is it a worthwhile fit, or just another never used gimmick?
??? Anyone .... ??
SuidWes wrote:Hi Andy, I recently fitted one and it works well and I will definately continiue to use it.
Andy, all I can tell you is this - When we were at RDW, we used Jaco's (Suidwes) awning thingy while waiting for a breakdown to be repaired. It was hot in the sun, and the shade it provided was very lekker while we enjoyed a cold one!

ImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Jis... Riaan daai awning lyk lekker!

B
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

snipes wrote:Bennie would sure have apreciated an awning, he was getting awefully hot at one stage!
The sun never bothered me, I had a hat. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: as jy dom is moet jy???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Ok, thanks guys. Why I asked, is because recently I picked up a Front Runner "Wind Cheatah" roof carrier and a 3m wide awning (All Awnings) for a price I could not rerfuse from a bloke that was in a tight corner. After they lay about for a bit I decided to fit them. The roof carrier is only 2 metres long and the only place to fit the awning is to the carrier, so it ends up overshooting by about a metre in the front. A problem I see it is that it lacks support in the front because it bobbs up and down in rougher terrain. The reason is that the weight leverage of the overhanging end is causing the canopy to flex a little. So I have removed it for the time being before I damage the canopy. To overcome the problem, I would have to make up some sort of support for the overhang that clips fast to the roof gutter, much like a roof rack does, but I'm wondering how this will behave with body flex between the load body and cab. Before I go to those lengths I wanted to get an idea whether it would be worth it in terms of actual utilization. (I've seen many vehicles fitted with awnings but have not yet witnessed anyone making use of them).
Has anyone experienced a similar problem IRO the flexing overhang?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Andy, I like the easy awns but the shortest one is 1.5 and is not as common as its longer brothers. It seems that people but the longer ones (for me they are in the way on a DC). I bought a Tento awning and will fit it to the same roof rack you have. I have decided to fit it on top of the roof rack to give it a bit of extra height and then the fitting can be removed when not in use. I will start with the bracket some time in next week.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Niel, ja I must say it's a very quick and easy deployment of the awning, and it stashes away nice and neatly, so from that point of view I like it. It's true most folk get the longer ones, but anything smaller is a waste of time, I think. I consider that it would also be handy if it's raining, so a wider one makes more sense then. For this reason I mounted mine as low as possible to minimise the gap between the cab roof and the awning, in case the rain came from that side.

The carrier brackets that came with the Front Runner I did not use but opted for a solid alu rail which allowed me to mount the carrier low as well (wind drag and garage clearance)
IM004257.JPG
The awning brackets that I got with it were the aluminium 'drop down' type, which was perfect for me, as I said to keep it low to the cab roof. Although the awning is removed you should still be able to make out the brackets on the carrier.
IM004258.JPG
Anyway I'll make the necesary support bracket for the overhang but will leave the awning off and only fit when I anticipate needing it. It's quickly fitted / removed as well, only two screws and it slides out of locating keyways in the brackets. :)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Cool stuff, The hight is important as I will go bold :thumbdown: :shock: should I have to walk under the awning. Lets start a seperate topic :?: for awnings we are hijacking this one. :shock:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

It's still a similar thread, ... tents / awnings, but ja move it to a new thread. :thumbup:

Niel

Vehicle awning

Post by Niel »

Mud Dog

Re: Vehicle awning

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool :thumbup:

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Did young Martin sell his already :?:

Looked like a very good deal; R1,500 incl. sides hey :?:

If I had the lolly :think:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

My Easi-Awn did'nt come with sides but i have thought about it and I've seen shade cloth in sinilar colour and patern to the roof. I thought I'd get about 3 metres or so and make my own sides. Rolled up the shade cloth should fit quite easily into the pod (still plenty room in there) and it would also help to stop the stays rattling in the pod when it's stowed.

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Kaspaas wrote:
snipes wrote:Bennie would sure have apreciated an awning, he was getting awefully hot at one stage!
The sun never bothered me, I had a hat. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: as jy dom is moet jy???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Did not bother me either, I had a bandanna and a Hilux4x4 cap!!

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”