Camping in minus 10 weather with a tent, info required.

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Camping in minus 10 weather with a tent, info required.

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Okay, I need some info please, I would like to hear from the people who have experienced extreme cold in the minus's while camping.
But let me first tell you all, I have a 3m x 3m canvas type tent, it has this frame that you put up first and then the tent hangs from the frame with clips, it then has this skeloton sheet that goes over the top, cannot remember the name of this tent, however it is some sort of canvas material, it has a built in ground sheet as well as netting on all the windows as well. It is a dome shape tent.

Now is it better to use an air mattrass or to sleep off the ground on a stretcher?

If sleeping on the ground, I do already have a few of these thin light blue mats, I was thinking of putting them under an air matrass to prevent the cold from seeping up through the ground, even some newspapers.

I thought of using my old army sleeping bags and a down duck feather duvet over the top, but if I am using seperate stretches, this would be a problem.

Is it better for a person to use a double air matrass or two singles air matrasses, if a double is used, then at least the lady can snuggle up to me.

Is there any type of heater available that a person can use as well, now taking into consideration that there is no electricity.

The area that I will be camping in is very cold, it sometimes get even below minus 10 degrees C. Thus rather go prepared than cold.

I just need to know what works.....
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Camping in minus 10 weather with a tent, info required.

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Stay off the ground - airbed or stretcher is fine :thumbup:
Canvas tent is fine maybe even better than Nylon; wind chill is the main factor; minus 10 ambient is nothing minus 10 ambient with a wind turns into minus 20' quickly. :crazy:
Wear multiple loose fitting layers in bed, then you can put on and take off till you're comfortable. :Geek:
A Duck Down bag will be toasty :thumbup:
Shared body warmth is the key - even if they are in seperate sleeping bags- you'll feel the benefit. :wink:

Enjoy, it's a walk in the park Simon :shifty:
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Have a good mattress, comfort is necessary for warmth. Have a good sleeping bag, preferably two that you can zip together – snuggling up is a great way to keep the cold away. Then have a warm but light blanket/duvet to go over the sleeping bag.
By this time you will be happily warm.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I would agree that airbed is better than stretcher. A stretcher alows air in underneath, robbing warmth. Newspaper / cardboard is a good insulator (used to work well on cold mornings in my biker days) to be used under the matrass if you think it will help. Gas heaters work well but deplete the oxygen in your enclosed tent, so not a good idea to run for too long. Have fun.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

Stay way from a stretcher all the heat will escape. We camped at Golden Gate in May and in were ice cold. Started of sleeping on stretchers and end up sleeping on a spare ground sheet folded double and shared body heat with the wife. ( dit was so koud dit het daai nag geryp tussen man en vrou)
wim
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Vryheid
Vehicle: 95 hilux d/c Hilex

Post by wim »

My problem exactly,ass from Fryday im on a weeks leave and can not decide where to go to ass were camping in a caravan.Inland to cold and charlets too expensive,we are trying too head towards some snow but it looks like next week im gonna bee sitting on a beetch somewhere.Main problem is wee have a 3jear old daughter and i think the cold will be a bit harsh on her.
ImageImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The 3 yr old is tougher than you give credit for, but it's probably more enjoyable on a nice beach or coastal lagoon. You've got plenty nice places along the KZN coast you can go to, and not too far to travel either. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Mud Dog wrote:The 3 yr old is tougher than you give credit for, but it's probably more enjoyable on a nice beach or coastal lagoon. You've got plenty nice places along the KZN coast you can go to, and not too far to travel either. :wink:
As boy scouts we had our Annual Winter Camps in Minus Teens, sleeping on the floor with kidy polyester sleeping bags enol :o:

- kidz are as hard as hell, it's just age that weakens us :oops:

Don't forget your Beanie Si :wink:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Cadac, has a gas heater and they work well but as mentionned do not burn long when inside the tent :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Insulate between the ground and your air mattress, and put a thick blanket on top of the mattress as well... Dont upset your wife before going to bed so you can share body heat, and take a good few bottles of Sedgwick's Old Brown Sherry, no other brands, it must be Sedgwick's... Also the smaller the tent the better... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Go to a place that is warmer :wink: :twisted: :twisted:

All good advice Simon, but ultimately make sure you are warm before going to bed as that will make a world of difference.
Getting in cold makes it very difficult to get warm. :eh:

Otherwise, just enjoy it and remember to put the meat back in the fridge at night, to stop it from freezing :wth: :lol:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
African Child
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 4L 4x4

Post by African Child »

Stem saam gebruik n lugmatras, moet net nie die pomp en repair kit vergeet nie. Ek het eenkeer n nuwe een in sy box saam geneem op n trip.....hyt n gat ingehad! Moes die gat met n klein G-clamp elke aand vir n week toeknyp sodat ek nie in die nag op die grond wakker word nie. In hierdie tipe koue is kondensasie in jou tent soms n probleem en die lugmatras is maklike om droog te hou. Vir my is dit baie belangrik om my kop warem te hou gewoonlik werk n K-Way beanie lekker maar in ekstreme koue werk n ballaklawa beter vir my. Die volgende gaan seker bietjie belaglik klink maar enige iets om jou warem te hou. Alhoewel bietjie raserig in die nag werk n survival blanket baie goed. Jy klim eers in hom en dan in jou slaapsak. Ek hou van buite slaap sonder tent en dit werk baie goed. Laastens gebruik liewer n klein tweeman tent in sulke koue omstandighede, dis baie waremer as daai groot tent van jou en n dubbel lugmatras pas gewoonlik net net daarin. n Groot tent het meer koue lug in. In n tweeman tent steek jy sommer net jou gaslampie aan om dinge warem te maak. Maak net erens iets oop vir bietjie suurstof. Hou alles eenvoudig, vergeet liewer van die Cadak heaters.
Attachments
Calvinia - Pofadder Trip 284 (Small).jpg
Alone I wander a thousand miles, and I ask my way from the clouds.

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”