12V Fridge Repair

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

12V Fridge Repair

Post by Scooter »

Does anyone on the west rand perhaps have a contact on the fridge repair industry?

I am needing to take two fridge/freezers on our Moz trip in December and my second unit is caput, so they tell me.
I mean I know it doesn't work but I dont believe them when they say it is the compressor and they can replace it for R1400.
I mean this is the Danfoss BD35F which direct from Reco costs R2500. So unless they are replacing with a cheap chinese unit or they get serious discount, I have my doubts.

I would like to take it to someone who will not try and screw me over just to make a buck.

Any suggestions?

Buying another new one right now is just not on the cards. I have looked at the campmaster and I am not happy with the build quality. My old one is better made, even though it looks the same.

And if I am to rent one for the holiday, it will cost +-R1500 which I may as well put into fixing the old one instead. At least then I have the second unit.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: 12V Fridge Repair

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Scott, did you manage to get it repaired?
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Hi Mark, I actually sent various people emails about it and got only one reply from the guys at Snomaster.
They reckoned they could fix it and were willing to take a look.

I took it in two weeks ago and so far I have been told that it running with a new power supply and control unit.
They reckon they are still testing it and hopefully I will get it back before December :shock:
There is no talk of cost yet so we shall see.

At least they were willing to try, where as no one else would and they didn't just tell me it is the compressor without actually checking it.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Seems to be a common problem with suppliers, not sure what is happening out there :thumbdown:

Hope your fridge is in 100% working order when you get it back
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Mark, cincidence, I just received a call from Warren at Snomaster.

The fridge is working 100% now. he says that he replaced the controller with their units to test but the fridge was doing the same thing so he tested with a power supply and it still did the same thing.

The fault: He found a broken wire (old an brittle I guess) which was causing the power supply to give less powwer to the controller thus the controller could not start the compressor.

Fix: Replace wire and solder properly. Reinstall all old components.

Price: R450

Lets hope it is fixed for good now and that I will experience no problems, especially when it counts in Moz in December.
I will put it in the truck and leave it there to run so that I can test it for a while.

Very relieved but it just shows you how some of the guys are sharks and some, like Warren at snomaster, is genuine.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Just got back from fetching the fridge. Will test it and see if all is well.

I can go shopping for something else now as Warren dicounted the original price of R450 to R0 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I do need some jerry can holders for my roof rack.......................... :twisted:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi Scott,

Glad you eventually got sorted.

Maybe you can post this under good service, maybe it can help other guys as well.

Cheers,

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Good thing I payed R0 as it was short lived.

Got home and plugged it in, and low and behold the problem still exists. I will be calling Warren now.
Their service is still good bar the fact that it wasn't fixed.

I fear the worst is probably invevitable, a shot controller........ :problem:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Not good news at all :thumbdown:
JohannP
Town: P-Town
Vehicle: Hilux D4D & Cruiser VX 100

Post by JohannP »

Scooter

I will repair it for you, but I am based in Pretoria.

Johann

082 903 9971
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Johann. I have no idea what is wrong with this thing and of course the easy way is to just replace the compressor and controller but that is also the most expensive way.

Unfortunately I don't have an endless supply of cash to throw at it as it is only a back up unit that will be used once or twice a year.
I use my NL for all short trips.

I think I will get it back to Snomaster this week and let them have another go at it. If that doesn't work out then I will most definately be giving you a call.

What do you think is wrong with it? To re-cap, when I plug it in, the fan starts and the compressor tries to start but fails. Then the error light flashes with 3 flashes which according to the list is a rotor blockage or pressure over 5 bar. If I unplug the fan so I can hear the copmpressor, it tries to start about every minute or so but fails. I really don't want to have to spend money on renting a unit or buying a new unit that wont be used all the time.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

By pass the thermostat then try.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Craig, I will give that a go tonight.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

To re-cap, when I plug it in, the fan starts and the compressor tries to start but fails. Then the error light flashes with 3 flashes which according to the list is a rotor blockage or pressure over 5 bar. If I unplug the fan so I can hear the compressor, it tries to start about every minute or so but fails.

Scott, this can also be caused by any of the following:

* Your power leads are too long, or too thin, thus building up a resistance
* The 12v battery is on its way out
* Your connections to the battery are at fault
* The fuse (if fitted) might not be making firm contact when current is drawn

Have you measured the 12v supply as close to the fridge as possible when attempting to start?

But then I guess you've checked all the above... :think: :thumbup:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

JohannP
Town: P-Town
Vehicle: Hilux D4D & Cruiser VX 100

Post by JohannP »

Scooter

As you said 3 flashes = "motor start error". The cause can be one of a few reasons.

1. A faulty electronic unit. Swap / replace to test.
2. A blocked capillary tube. Dirt in the system or a damaged tube. Open the system, flash with flashing liquid, test for blockage and recharge.
3. A mechanical problem in the compressor. Replace the dome.

This is only a few possibility's.

Cheers

Johann
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Eric and Johann.

Yes all of the above has been checked by myself, obviously the ones I could check :thumbup:

I just got back from dropping it off at Snomaster again. Lets see if they can fix the problem this time round. :?
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Why I said by-pass the thermostat and then try was because I had a similar problem.

I don't have a fancy freezer but a Minus40 and this would work very well. Suddeny it would stop freezing but the fan would still run and it would keep trying to kick in but then kick out again. For a long time it would work and then stop but it took me ages to find where the fault was. Eventually I found that when it stops freezing I would unplug the freezer from the battery and wait 5min, then plug it in and it would work. Later I discovered if I set the thermostat to -30 which is the coldest it gets, the problem would take ages to appear. So I thought I would by-pass the thermostat and then try again. Well it worked the whole day so I took my cutters and removed the whole thermostat and have never had the problem again. I have used it on 2 trips since with no problem and the most recent being Kgalakadi for 2 weeks. I just have to manage the usage manually tjough as it is on all the time. One day I may try and source a thermostat that works but in the mean time it has solved my problem.

Try and by-pass the thermostat but don't cut it out like I did. At least if you find the problem you know what part to replace/repair.

Good Luck
Leeu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i 4x4

Post by Leeu »

Hi Scotty, almost had the same condition on my NL, NL first checked the programming on the electronic part of the fridge (apparantly the settings can change when there is a voltage peak) then changed the probe (R100) and the fridge worked 100%. Greetings, Nico
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks Nico.

The problem here is that although this unit runs the same compressor and controller as the NL units, NL will not work on it (I have tried). Hence the reason it is at Snomaster.
Finding a 12V fridge expert is difficult and finding someone who doesn't want to rip you off is even more difficult.

Hopefully Snomaster will fix it.
Otherwise I am taking a drive to pretoria to see Johann. I am running out of time here.
chopper

Post by chopper »

I have a Minus 40 (appr 40 liter) working very well which you are welcome to use if you really get stuck!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Shot for the offer Thinus. I might end up having to take you up on it. :thumbup:
I'll see how it goes, if this unit is not fixed by the middle of November then all other plans will have to come in to effect.
chopper

Post by chopper »

Most welcome!
Leeu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i 4x4

Post by Leeu »

Thinus, that's nice of you. Very good to see members helping each other out!!!!!
chopper

Post by chopper »

I can never make good for what I've learnt since I joined the Forum!
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

No really you can. Please make a sizeable donation to the Mountain Man benevolent fund. I will PM you my bank details. :lol:
chopper

Post by chopper »

1 thing I really appreciate about the Forum members - they all have a very good sense of humour!
Enjoyed that - thank you!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

He wasn't joking... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Post by tersmit »

Hi All
I know this is quite an old thread, but i have a very peculiar problem with my Minus 40 Fridge.
We just got back from a trip from the Cedarberg, which was AWESOME, and I found the strangest thing with my Fridge.
I the vehicle is running, the Fridge starts, and then stops again. As soon as the vehicle is switched off, the fridge starts up and runs 100%
I did another test now, by switching the vehicle on, and then switching on the headlights, on brights, as well as the Aircon with the fan running at full blast. The Fridge comes on and stays on, as soon as the lights and AC with fan is switched off, the Fridge switches off again.
Io me it looks like the Fridge could have a max volt cut out or something.
Is there any one that have experienced a similar issue ?
Please note that i have run the experiment running from my dual battery system, as well as connect the fridge Directly to the main battery and disconnecting the Dual Battery system, just to remove that from the equition
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mountain Man »

Check your alternator/voltage regulator, it may be over charging. I had that with my 4Y and it was running at 60 Volts or something like that.

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”