4x2 Hilux

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

4x2 Hilux

Post by pietpetoors »

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux you are also welcome to post your comments and questions on this site. After all we are part of the same Hilux family and 4x2 people also go off-road. Ask your questions, say your say, share your modifications or good ideas and enjoy the web site.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Well, I also have a '86 SWB 4x2 :D

I was wondering just the other day if anyone has ever tried to build or convert a Hilux SWB for 4x4 usage. The chassis is different, the SWB uses coil springs in the front, so I guess you would need to shorten an existing 4x4 chassis for the SWB body.

Would be an interesting conversion!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

And also a costly business, it would still be cheaper to buy an old 4x4 Hilux and fix it up rather, if a person wanted to convert a 2wd to a 4x4 they would have to buy 4x4 Hilux axles front and rear with the same ratio, propshafts, transfer case and gearbox, cut a hole in the floor for the extra transfer case lever, check the engine sump. This basically covers everything.

And you also have to find these parts to do these mods.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

When I used to work on a farm we had 2 Hilux's 4x2.We did not require much 4x4.Only when it rain.Than we used the tractors.
What I missed was the lowrange.Very usefull in the fields when pulling trailors or climbing up a mountain with a load.
Thus if I was still a farmer I would consider installing Low range only.
Do you only need a transfer case?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Coil Springs

Post by pietpetoors »

I saw a Jeep at Wessel's the other day where they converted the front suspension from leave springs to coil springs.
So what is the problem with the 4x2's coils springs?? :?:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Piet,

As far as I know, the 4x4 axle won't fit the SWB chassis. But wouldn't it be fun if I was wrong....

-F_D
<Fun_Dog>

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Silver Legend!
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: '05 Toyota Hilux Legend 35

Re: 4x2 Hilux

Post by Silver Legend! »

HI everyone
i'm new here on the site and really enjoy it.
I have a Silver legend 35 3.0 kzte s/c and really love the bakkie.It was my fathers and now mine and i do not want to sell it but need a 4x4.I know the 4x2 to 4x4 conversion is pricey but im comitted to getting it done.
Could anyone help me in specifying what needs to be done mechanically, what needs to be changed etc?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re:

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Alex. Welcome to the forum! :thumbup:
SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote:And also a costly business, it would still be cheaper to buy an old 4x4 Hilux and fix it up rather, if a person wanted to convert a 2wd to a 4x4 they would have to buy 4x4 Hilux axles front and rear with the same ratio, propshafts, transfer case and gearbox, cut a hole in the floor for the extra transfer case lever, check the engine sump. This basically covers everything.

And you also have to find these parts to do these mods.
Additionally one would have to connect the brakes / brake lines to these new axles as well as steering linkages. If you fit a solid front axle, you would probably have to do a cross-over steering modification using your existing steering box, but this would involve cutting and welding on the chassis. It's been done by a few members here and there are threads that cover it. Look at this one
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=4638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or do a search on SAS (Solid Axle Swop). :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Silver Legend!
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: '05 Toyota Hilux Legend 35

Post by Silver Legend! »

Thanx guys i will look at the threads.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Waar is die grensvegter van landrovia, blommeister, hy behoort al so iets te gedoen het :idea: :idea:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”