D4D Steering issues

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
pompy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: Dec '08 3.0 D4D

D4D Steering issues

Post by pompy »

From @ 175 000kms I noticed a decent shimmy on the steering wheel between 100 and 120km/h, as well as play - and only within the first few kms of driving from cold. Thereafter it would dissapear. I checked tyre pressures and balancing and both were good. The shimmy lasted 2 weeks and then dissappeared. But the play is still there and is getting worse. Driving on a dirt road is a nightmare as you can feel the wheels moving in diff directions from each other - and it is now even more of a mission keeping a Hilux on a dirt road!
It feels as if there is little control over what the front wheels are doing.
That said, if I turn the steering 1mm the wheels respond but it feels like they flap around!
It also feels as if the camber changes at low speed when parking, as the van rocks over from side to side.
Shocks were replaced at 130 000kms.

I queried this at the 180k kms service and they said on the invoice "Steering pomp moet weggestuur word"
The lady service advisor tried to explian to me what it meant ( I couldn't speak to the technician) and she rambled on about shafts that need to be rechromed etc.
If I am prepared to wait it would take a minimum of 3 weeks to have it sent to JHB and have it overhauled for @ R6k excl labour and VAT.
Otherwise it would cost R12k new excl labour and VAT.
Now there is no way in sunny South Africa that I can wait a minimum of 3 weeks for that, so what ever is wrong, is going to have to be fixed wiff new fings en blerry vinnig ook!!

To me it sounds like the steering rack is buggered - and I don't know so much about a steering pump.

What is wrong with my van?
pompy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: D4D Steering issues

Post by pompy »

I'm man enough to admit I was driving with under inflated tyres of 1,4bar which also lead to excessive wear on the outer edges of the tyres. Inflated the tyres and it was 80% better. Then I fitted new ones to the front and put the old ones on the back...
100% better. My Hiluxie is nou weer reg.
Jis, ek's n goofball
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Pompy Glad to hear the prob is sorted.

We all make mistakes, thats how we learn.

Just m2cw, if that was all thats wrong, how the >>>>> did they find that the pump ect... needs to be sent away at those costs?

I would not be going back there any time.
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Pompie BLY jou wa is REG.

FRUSTREREND as die handelaars nie sulke basiese goed raak sien nie .... :(
pompy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by pompy »

Yip, I can't believe they diagnosed a 'faulty steering pump' and put it on the invoice as well! Dit maak my naar...

I had it serviced this last week... yesterday mrng I crawl underneath to check where the rear bumper mounts... it was then that I noticed the left rear shock soaked and caked with dirt - while the other shock is squeeky clean.
Surely they should've noticed that and informed me?
I must admit, the rear has started to feel twitchy lately. 80k kms on those Monroes and they're stuffed.

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”