Hang gat

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Jhb
Vehicle: 2014 Toyota Prado VX D4D

Hang gat

Post by Philly »

Hi Gents

I have a 2004 Hilux Legend 35. 2.7i
The rear left of the bakkie is hanging about 2cm lower than the right hand side.
I phoned around a few places and it sounds like it is the leaf springs that seems to be sagging.
Now I would like to know, is it better to get it reset? Got a quate of about R1200 to add a spring and test and reset springs.. or better to replace not sure bout prices there yet.
Thanks Phillip
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: Hang gat

Post by Donkey »

Hi and welcome

Don't know much about springs but the little I have read suggests that "resetting" of springs is a waste of time/money as after a while they sag again, rather save up and get yourself new springs. Look up Mikem Suspension.

Regards,
uDonkey.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Donkey wrote:Hi and welcome

Don't know much about springs but the little I have read suggests that "resetting" of springs is a waste of time/money as after a while they sag again, rather save up and get yourself new springs. Look up Mikem Suspension.

Regards,
uDonkey.
Correct! Very short term....solution!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Phillip. A new set (upgrade, not standard) will set you back more than ten times that, but it's definitely worth it. A standard set, new from Toyota won't be much less, so it's not even an option. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Hang gat

Post by Philly »

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking aswell. Only thing is I'm planning on selling the bakkie within the next 2 to 3 years. So now I have to think if I wanna spend that kind of money if I'm not planning on keeping the bakkie. Thanks for the welcome.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Philly wrote:Thanks. Thats what I was thinking aswell. Only thing is I'm planning on selling the bakkie within the next 2 to 3 years. So now I have to think if I wanna spend that kind of money if I'm not planning on keeping the bakkie. Thanks for the welcome.
Yes you want to - with the right shocks you will not want to sell it!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Phillip, Your profile just says "Toyota" ..... What model is it and why do you intend selling later on?

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Hang gat

Post by Philly »

Oops Sorry bout that. It's a 2004 2.7i Legend 35, 4x2 I will be upgrading to 4x4
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OK, well that makes sense then. In that case I would leave it as it is and let the new buyer decide whether he / she wants to do something about it. I certainly wouldn't waste my time and money with having the old springs re-set (heat treatment). If I felt that strongly that I should do something about it, I would rather re-shape them myself ..... Remove the packs / split them and beat each leaf in a shallow sand bed to achieve a better arc using a template so that they are all the same .... then re-assemble and re-fit the packs. Will cost you nothing except a Saturday one weekend. Alternately you could fit a 'spring helper' like "Load-Hog" or "Load Buddy" or "Camil" coil over shock ..... not recommended in my book, but an interim solution for your circumstance.

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Mud Dog wrote:OK, well that makes sense then. In that case I would leave it as it is and let the new buyer decide whether he / she wants to do something about it. I certainly wouldn't waste my time and money with having the old springs re-set (heat treatment). If I felt that strongly that I should do something about it, I would rather re-shape them myself ..... Remove the packs / split them and beat each leaf in a shallow sand bed to achieve a better arc using a template so that they are all the same .... then re-assemble and re-fit the packs. Will cost you nothing except a Saturday one weekend. Alternately you could fit a 'spring helper' like "Load-Hog" or "Load Buddy" or "Camil" coil over shock ..... not recommended in my book, but an interim solution for your circumstance.
But driving like that for 2-3 year will not be pleasant!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Thabogrobler wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:OK, well that makes sense then. In that case I would leave it as it is and let the new buyer decide whether he / she wants to do something about it. I certainly wouldn't waste my time and money with having the old springs re-set (heat treatment). If I felt that strongly that I should do something about it, I would rather re-shape them myself ..... Remove the packs / split them and beat each leaf in a shallow sand bed to achieve a better arc using a template so that they are all the same .... then re-assemble and re-fit the packs. Will cost you nothing except a Saturday one weekend. Alternately you could fit a 'spring helper' like "Load-Hog" or "Load Buddy" or "Camil" coil over shock ..... not recommended in my book, but an interim solution for your circumstance.
But driving like that for 2-3 year will not be pleasant!
Quite possibly true, but then it might be better to bite the bullet a little now, and to put the saving towards an upgrade on the 4x4 when the time comes. :think:

Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Hang gat

Post by Philly »

Hi guys. Went to Darrell and he helped me allot!! Thanks Darrell! At the end of the day it was/is only the torsion bars that needed to be adjusted. I am currently at Supa Quick rotating my tires, doing wheel balancing and wheel alignment. They will adjust and change everything accordingly and I hope that solves the problem. Thanks for all the advice!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Torsion bars are on the front .... never gave it a thought because the leaf packs are harder than the front suspension and it's normally the packs that influence a list to one side. The torsion bars must have been set quite badly different from each other to influence the rear.

Glad you came right and that it's an inexpensive fix. ;-)

Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Hang gat

Post by Philly »

And the verdict is that It definitely is my leaf springs. The guys at Supa Quick went through everything again and took measurements. The difference between the height of the torsion bars is 5mm, so that is all fine. We then looked at the differences between the 2 rear leaf springs and there is a gap between the bottom springs of about 2cm. So at the end of the day...my leaf springs still needs replacing. But that will have to wait till after my week holiday at Mapungubwe.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ouch! ... Sometimes I hate it when I'm right! :lol: Perhaps you can doctor just the pack on the side that's leaning (split and beat as I suggested above). It'll work for a while .... a lot longer than 're-tensioning'. ;-)

tridentzn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: umkomaas kzn south coast
Vehicle: Hilux legend 40 d4d*2010 model* BFG All Terrain 17 inch* Ironman Suspension*ONCA Bullbar*Dual Battery System*Roof Top Tent* ALU Canopy*
Club VHF Licence: n/a

Post by tridentzn »

Hi Guys

Will the original springs from a legend 40 be suitable?

The reason I ask is that I had mine taken out and fitted a complete Ironman suspension with springs all round and shocks

Regards

Peru Pillay
ImageImage
Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Hang gat

Post by Philly »

Hi Peru
Wow! Thanks for the offer. I have the legend 35 shape. So not sure if they are the same specs. Will have to ask around or phone Toyota to check on that. I will let you know before the end of the day if that is ok?
Hehehhehe!! Het it as well Mud Dog!!
Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Hang gat

Post by Philly »

Hi Peru
The specs is not the same... Pity.. But thank you very much for the offer I really appreciate it! Price per set from Toyota is R1900.
Piesang
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Mud Dog se idee is goed, my pa het destyds sy Valiant so op gelig en jare so gery sonder dat hy sak, die geheim lê blyk baar in die koud buig nie warm maak nie.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Piesang wrote:Mud Dog se idee is goed, my pa het destyds sy Valiant so op gelig en jare so gery sonder dat hy sak, die geheim lê blyk baar in die koud buig nie warm maak nie.
Dis reg, hy moet nie warm gemaak word nie. 'n Hydraulic press sal die joppie ook doen as jy iemand ken met ene. ;-)

Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

Ek het n stel vere wat van my 2002 2.7i 4x4 af kom, dit behoort presies die selfde as die Legend 35
se vere te wees.
Het OME stel in my lorie gesit en nou le die oorspronklike vere net hier, het die skok brekers ook wat minder
as n jaar gebruik was.
Dalk kan jy iets daarmee doen soos n ekstra blaai by jou pack in sit of dalk die twee stelle met mekaar vergelyk
en besluit wat die beste stel is, dink daaroor en maak n offer as jy belangstel.
Hier is die link; viewtopic.php?f=132&t=16956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Philly »

Hi Johan, thanks for the offer.
I went to Van Zyl springs and I am gonna go that way. They will take out my old springs cold bend/reset them and add another spring, all for R1400. So i will go that route for now and see if it works.
TJV
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 3.0 liter D4D Fortuner,, Roof rack and VHF radio
Club VHF Licence: X 110

Post by TJV »

Philly
Het my Hilux s'n Vrydag by van Zyls in Pretoria laat doen en was die naweek Mpumalanga toe met hom. Geen snaakse dinge nog agtergekom nie behalwe dat dit heelwat hoger is. Moes my graaf omdraai en het die Hi Lift vir eers afgehaal.
Off-road en teen spoed op die grondpaaie was dit net soos voorheen sonder probleme. Het Saterdag ook die torsiestawe bietjie opgestel net om die hogere gat bietjie beter te laat lyk. Ek weet van 'n hele paar hiluxe wat loop met die modifikasies en van hulle is al geruime tyd terug gedoen. Ek sal kyk of ek komende naweek net die load sencing valve weer kan regstel sodat die agterremme meer werk.
Sterkte met joune.
Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Hang gat

Post by Philly »

Dis goed om te hoor thanks. Is juis nou hier by die ouens in Jhb, hulle staan ook bekend as Golden Springs. Ek sal laat weet hoe dit lyk en ry as hulle klaar is.
Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Philly »

So pas my bakkie terug gekry..hy is heelwat hoeer agter, darem staan hy nou gelyk, en dit voel as of die rit ook heelwat harder is. Maar dit is lekker om te weet dat die bakkie nou reguit staan. Moet se die ouens daar se kleinte diens is nie iets om van oor huis toe teskryf nie, maar hulle kry darem die job gedoen. Mens staan en wag vir hulle om jou te help seker maklik vir 8 - 10min. En dan as hulle jou help word daar minimaal vertel aan jou wat gedoen moet word en hoe dit gaan gebeur en hoeveel dit gaan kos.
Maar soos ek se, die job is darem gedoen en ek is net bly dat die bakkie reguit staan, hulle het die springs agter gereset(koud) en n ekstra veer ingesit. R1350.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:
Should last at least until you are ready to sell it. ;-)

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”