D4D 4x2 Suspension

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
DonS
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 2008 S/C Hilux 3.0D4D

D4D 4x2 Suspension

Post by DonS »

Hi Guys

I'm New Here!Thanks for a great forum

I have a 3.0D4D Single cab 4x2 so the question is:

I am fitting a DIY replacement bumper and Warn 9000i winch!(Will post pics in the diy forum soon)

Will the OEM suspension cope with the added weight?
I want to lift the nose a bit more,I have a coilspring leveling spacer installed at the moment,but its still not level,I want to fit a 35mm spacer,will it be ok?
At the back I want to fit a load hog helper spring,to keep it level when towing the boat,and loading the vehicle

And now you are thinking,why a winch and bullbar on a 4x2?
I use it as a everyday vehicle,and sometimes you get a bit of mud at launch strips and with the heavy bassboat,you sometimes get stuck!

I know its allot of questions,your help will be apreciated

Donovan
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: D4D 4x2 Suspention

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Don and welcome :thumbup:

Firstly, what size spacers do you currently have in front?
35mm is about max. But should cope!

Rear, Loadhog......careful, you pay for what you get...... well there are better product's a bit more expensive like air heplers. I have seen a few of the LH broken, snapped. So rather look at other options!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: D4D 4x2 Suspension

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi, welcome Don. :thumbup:
Personally I wouldn't fit an integrated bumper and winch to a 4x2 unless you have a specific and valid need to do so ("it looks cool" is not valid IMO ...... rather get a 4x4 if you're doing off road stuff).

A 35mm spacer would be pushing it a little, I think .... 30mm is the more acceptable maximum. Also agree about the Load hogs ... there are better options.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
DonS
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by DonS »

Thanks for the welcomes guys! :thumbup:

Ooms,the spacer infront lifted it about 50mm,so its 20mm-25mm thick,will go measure today

is there a way of lifting it to level,or beyond without spacers?front suspention upgrade etc.

Mud Dog,i would have used the winch twice in the last month..lol
got stuck in soft sand,with the boat in tow..
got stuck in mud at arabie dam's launch strip,we were the only ones there,very remote,would have been stuck there for the night..

Best of all,i didnt buy the winch or bumper,the winch was fitted on our hunting vehicle,and has been lying in a container for a long time,not being used.

i am saving for a D4D Double cab 4x4 :D:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

DonS wrote:Thanks for the welcomes guys! :thumbup:

Ooms,the spacer infront lifted it about 50mm,so its 20mm-25mm thick,will go measure today

is there a way of lifting it to level,or beyond without spacers?front suspention upgrade etc.

Mud Dog,i would have used the winch twice in the last month..lol
got stuck in soft sand,with the boat in tow..
got stuck in mud at arabie dam's launch strip,we were the only ones there,very remote,would have been stuck there for the night..

Best of all,i didnt buy the winch or bumper,the winch was fitted on our hunting vehicle,and has been lying in a container for a long time,not being used.

i am saving for a D4D Double cab 4x4 :D:
Not that I am aware of....
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

There are ways and means ... can become pricey .... either some re-construction or there are kits available. The diff also would need to be dropped so as to maintain acceptable CV angles. Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
DonS
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by DonS »

I measured my spacers today,they are 20mm thick...30mm should do the trick!

Wouldn't it be best to fit new stiffer coilsprings,to level it? Instead of spacers,I'm just a bit concearned,seeing the photos in the thread
"Dangers of fitting strutspacers"
Royco
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

I fitted Camil shocks to my bakkie. The nice thing about Camils is they can be adjusted, so as you add more "stuff" you can lift it again.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”