2004 2700i dc rear brakes

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Dillon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Hilux 2700i 4x2 DC

2004 2700i dc rear brakes

Post by Dillon »

the main leaf spring on the passenger side back snapped and I had it replaced and had both sides re-torqued. since then i have experienced endless problems with the back brakes especially back left (passenger side) I first experienced problems when towing my caravan a week after doing the leaf springs and back brakes. The back brakes overheated after 20 km's and were burnt to charcoal. I then had the drums doen and new brake linings were fitted. The load sensing valve was set accordingly. The back left brake still heated to the extent that the rim could not be touched it was so hot. The drums were pulled off and the brakes were again set. Yesterday the brakes got hot again after driving around in town?? I am at my wits end.... any help would be greatly appreciated. I have already downloaded the workshop manual and it was used to set the brakes.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: 2004 2700i dc rear brakes

Post by Thabogrobler »

Search for Menlyn Brake and clutch. He will give you good advice.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

What has been done on the breaks. Have everything been put back corectly. Sounds like the breakfluid does not return back to the reservior or the self ajusting arm of the handbreak keep on ajusting the shoes. :roll:
One life, one dream, one toyota
Dillon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dillon »

Vlak vark wrote:What has been done on the breaks. Have everything been put back corectly. Sounds like the breakfluid does not return back to the reservior or the self ajusting arm of the handbreak keep on ajusting the shoes. :roll:
I have replaced the front disk pads, they seem to work properly. The back drums were skimmed and I replaced the back brake shoes twice now as the fist set were burnt. I have also bled the system and adjusted the pressure release valve. It does seem that the self adjusting arm of the handbrake keeps on adjusting the shoes. to test this I am not using the handbrake whenever I park ( not the best option on an incline or decline). It is always the passenger side back brake that is heating?? :thumbdown:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I've had this problem before and it's not the brake fluid, all the adjustments needs to be corect.

Make sure all the links, cables and springs are installed corectly and move free.

Firstly, unhook the cable end from the lever on the backing plate, adjust the brake shoes untill they touch the drums lightly.

Hook the cables up and adjust the handbrake, half of the reach must be free (not three clicks like most cars)

Now for the part that causes the problem; on the lever that protrude from the brake drum, there is an adjusting bolt, loosen the lock nut and adjust the bolt untill it touches the stop, this prevents the adjuster from jumping to the next slot every time you use the handbrake.

The Vigo and Fortuner has the same system.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Dillon
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dillon »

Hoppy wrote:I've had this problem before and it's not the brake fluid, all the adjustments needs to be corect.

Make sure all the links, cables and springs are installed corectly and move free.

Firstly, unhook the cable end from the lever on the backing plate, adjust the brake shoes untill they touch the drums lightly.

Hook the cables up and adjust the handbrake, half of the reach must be free (not three clicks like most cars)

Now for the part that causes the problem; on the lever that protrude from the brake drum, there is an adjusting bolt, loosen the lock nut and adjust the bolt untill it touches the stop, this prevents the adjuster from jumping to the next slot every time you use the handbrake.

The Vigo and Fortuner has the same system.
Thanks, it makes sense what you are suggesting. I am not the best at mechanicals but fortunately my father is more hands on and will ask him to assist.

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”