Headlight upgrade

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7VVT-i Raised Body Raider s/c lwb 2008

Headlight upgrade

Post by Arri »

Hi guys
Except for auxilary spots, and the expensive Xenon conversions, has anyone had success upgrading their normal headlamps on the old Hilux?
Overseas you get OSRAM HYPERS that fit stock standard wiring and produce much more lumens.
This bulb is in the same high-efficacy family as our popular 64217 (65W H7). Extremely high performance from a bulb that is only very slightly above standard wattage. Excellent compatibility with the smaller, less heat-resistant headlamps and with stock vehicle wiring.
These bulbs are getting rave reviews from our customers, especially those who ride motorcycles and other vehicles with stock wiring. Also available in an H7 bulb type.
You can get them from http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp#HYPER They ship internationally.
And you get a higher wattage for those hb4 foglights but they are a bit illegal in SA. see: http://www.modacar.com/products/Toyota/ ... 9006+.html

Another question, I am aware that it's illegal to have lights fitted higher then your normal driving lights for onroad usage. But these days many chinese vehicles come out with rollbar fitted spots without covers and some nissans and jeep have factory fitted spots in their roofracks. Will they get fined?
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Headlight upgrade

Post by CasKru »

Another question, I am aware that it's illegal to have lights fitted higher then your normal driving lights for onroad usage. But these days many chinese vehicles come out with rollbar fitted spots without covers and some nissans and jeep have factory fitted spots in their roofracks. Will they get fined?
I was wondering the exact same thing. I'm also wondering why it is infact illegall to have light higher than the standard ones. What will they do if we mount the standard lights ontop of the spots on the roof? :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

I would imagine it has to do with the use of the spots rather than the height of the spots.
All vehicle lights have to be adjusted to a certain height and this should be checked and adjusted with services.
This is to give the best light result for driving as well as to stop oncoming traffic from being blinded.

Now with spots above the normal headlights, when switched on, it definately blinds the oncomers as do your brights generally.
You could argue that you dont use them while driving on the road but the traffic dept dont see it that way and they find it easier to ban spots above headlights altogether than to enforce a rule to not use them while on the road.

It is obviously a farce though as new vehicles have to be road worthied and surely if the spots were illegal, they would not pass :?:

Just M2cW
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Arri »

I came accross this dealer: http://search.stores.ebay.com/Car-and-C ... 47QQsofpZ0 that ships to SA for $25.00 and has a range of interesting H4 bulbs available

Regards
Arri
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage
Jeff
Town: Simunye Swaziland
Vehicle: 3.0 D-4D Raider S/C 4X2, Toyota Yaris T3 Hatch

Post by Jeff »

Arri wrote:Hi guys
Except for auxilary spots, and the expensive Xenon conversions, has anyone had success upgrading their normal headlamps on the old Hilux?
Overseas you get OSRAM HYPERS that fit stock standard wiring and produce much more lumens.

This is very old, but if it is still an issue then try one of the following. They are all from Osram and I have listed them in order of performance (1 is best):
1. Osram Night breakers
2. Osram Silverstar
3. Osram Coolblu

They come in standard wattage and various formats (H1 - H4), so they will plug right in to your head lamp. I have used all three. They are definitly a cut above the rest.

Forget the Xenons, I've been there. What a waste of money! The reflectors in which we fit these things are just not correctly focused to put the light in the right place on the road. All we manage to do is be a nuisance to other road users. If someone were to manufacture a hilux replacement headlamp from the ground up purely for use with xenon burners then we'd be talking!
Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Arri »

Hi guys

I'be seen some Hilux Replacement LED HEadlights on the market, Don't know if they work though .....
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage
Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kuruman
Vehicle: 1987 Hilux SFA 4x4

Post by Ou Legend »

Ek het Osram Nightbreakers in my bakkie en dit maak n verskil eks tevrede.
The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in moments of comfort and convenience but how he stands at times of controversy and challenges
Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Arri »

I purchased some ipf globes and I have been very satisfied for over a year now, I am going to order some upgraded tail lights too and IPF X4 fatboy type H4 globes.....I came accross this dealer: http://search.stores.ebay.com/Car-and-C ... 47QQsofpZ0 that ships to SA for $25.00 and has a range of interesting H4 bulbs available

Tail lights:R115(1157) and R116(1156) are both input at 35/5W so the heat is from 35W max.(output at 70/10W performance) It's Japanese product and mainly design for japanese car. It is safe to use. $18.95 per bulb
For R113(1157) 21/5W version $ 14.95 per bulb
For R114 (1156) 21W version $14.95 per bulb
For R101(1156) 27W version $14.95 per bulb

If you need anything email the seller directly: hubert4less@yahoo.com
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage
Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ou Legend »

Ek het eergister vir my nuwe crystal headlihghts saam met die HID kit ingesit dit lig ongelooflik goed.
The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in moments of comfort and convenience but how he stands at times of controversy and challenges
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

Prentjies!!!!
Later....
David
Hillbilly
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Scooter wrote:It is obviously a farce though as new vehicles have to be road worthied
I believe that only used/second hand vehicles have to be physically inspected for raodworthyness when being registered. New vehicles get registered by default. One of those all too common 'glitches' in the system.

You can even register as roadworthy a racing/sport quad bike when it's new - as a tractor nogal - although it has a live axle (which may not be driven on public roads), it slips through the loophole.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ou Legend »

Ek sukkel om foto's optesit kry diti reg nie.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Pics larger than 200kb or larger than 800 x 600 pixels are not accepted by the software. Resize if neccesary, and then use the "browse" button below in the posting window, select you pic file (double click or OK) in the browse box, click on add file. You can 'place in line' if you wish.

Not too difficult! :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ou Legend »

My ligte,ek vanaand n foto neem van die Hid as hulle aan is,lyk my ek kom reg met die foto's,dankie vir julle hulp.
Attachments
SANY0926.JPG
SANY0926.JPG (112.48 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

That Bakkie looks nice and well cared for! :thumbup: :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ou Legend »

Ja hyt nou 415000km op hyt al hard gewerk ek en my pa het n plumbing besigheid gehad, hy kort n respray en paar ligte duikies wat moet reg gemaak word maar dis mos Toyota.
Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ou Legend »

Sal nog aand foto's probeer neem.
Attachments
SANY1209.JPG
SANY1209.JPG (99.31 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
SANY1206.JPG
SANY1206.JPG (83.4 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
SANY1205.JPG
SANY1205.JPG (112.36 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
SANY1204.JPG
SANY1204.JPG (97.42 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
SANY1200.JPG
SANY1200.JPG (115.97 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Verblind jy nie die ouens wat van voor af kom nie? Bright hulle jou nie baie nie?

Hoeveel het die setup jou gekos as ek mag vra en waar het jy dit gekoop?

(Jy moet kophou... hierdie is Flinkdink :) )
To God be the glory
Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ou Legend »

Nee wat hulle bright my nie, ekt my ligte net so klein bietjie afgestel maar die ander ding is, die nuwe ligte se beam is meer verspreid as die standaard ligte wat daai snaakse kol gooi. Ekt die ligte en die HID Kit by Autozone hier in Kuruman gekoop vir R1600 vir alles,maar let op as dit by jou ou ligte plakie in plak en jy wil bright dan werk sy dim/bright nie , ekt toe uit gevind dat ons hilux bakkies werk commen negative waar die ander voertuie comman possitive is, maak net die ou 3punt plug agter oop en ruil net die punte op die plug om.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Dankie. Die Toyota common negative en hulle bedrading deur die indicator stalk het my al hoofpyne veroorsaak toe ek probeer het om 'n harnas te bou om beter krag na die ligte te verskaf. Als goed en gaaf as mens een lig verander maar probeer altwee... (ek werk nog daaraan)
To God be the glory
Ou Legend
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Ou Legend »

Sterkte daar.

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”