Hilux 3.0D KZ-TE 4x2 offroad ability

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Lugen
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux

Hilux 3.0D KZ-TE 4x2 offroad ability

Post by Lugen »

Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and this is my very first post. I want to get more into the art of offroading, the first offroad vehicle that I am looking to purchase is a 2001 Hilux 3.0D 4x2. I know its not going to take me very far into the bush but I figured Its a way to start and will upgrade to a 4x4 (Hilux offcourse) as soon as I get the hang of things.

A few questions that I need to find out:
1) How capable is this 4x2 for light offroad, mainly gravel roads?
2) Can I go on long trips or will I eventually find obstacles that I wont be able to take on?
3) Does this bakkie come with a diff lock as standard?
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Re: Hilux 3.0D KZ-TE 4x2 offroad ability

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

Lugen wrote:Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and this is my very first post. I want to get more into the art of offroading, the first offroad vehicle that I am looking to purchase is a 2001 Hilux 3.0D 4x2. I know its not going to take me very far into the bush but I figured Its a way to start and will upgrade to a 4x4 (Hilux offcourse) as soon as I get the hang of things.

I think a 2x4 is very capable for light off road. I owned the 2.7 before my 4x4 and I seldom got stuck. However when you do get stuck, it's real stuck and you will need help to get unstuck.
2) Can I go on long trips or will I eventually find obstacles that I wont be able to take on?
Even with a 4x4 you find obsticals that you can't take on. You need to determine the ability of your 4x2 and stay within its capability. It's best to go with someone who can help you out if you get stuck
Diff loc is standard.

Welcome

You should rather spend a little extra now on a 4x4 if you intend exploring the outdoors.
T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Lugen wrote:Hi Guys, I am new to the forum and this is my very first post. I want to get more into the art of offroading, the first offroad vehicle that I am looking to purchase is a 2001 Hilux 3.0D 4x2. I know its not going to take me very far into the bush but I figured Its a way to start and will upgrade to a 4x4 (Hilux offcourse) as soon as I get the hang of things.

Hi, welcome!

Firstly, no 4x2 can go where a proper 4x4 can go. No bull, no nothing. 4x4 has got its place. If possible at all buy a 4x4 from the onset and get it over and done with.

2. Of course you can go on long trips, but some time or the other you will get stuck.

3. Yes, if it is a Raider(which it sound like)

So, in short, get a 4x4 and save yourself a lot of frustration(I can write a whole library full of it) and start having fun!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Lugen wrote:
Namibia was tamed by 2x4 bakies, like ford en chev. LR's were the only 4x4 then and only a few around, and was not allowed to drive in the tracks 'cuase it did not 'spoor' with the others.

Off road meaning gravel is no issue, and you can reach many places, off the road means that 4x4 will help a lot, else you might get stuck.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If you are not into heavy offroading the 4x2 will be good. The high ground clearance also makes it better than just a normal flat 2WD bakkie.

Read this loooong answer JohanM once gave somebody who asked the same question:
See: http://www.africatrips.co.za/4x4-or-4x2/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”