Sulphur smell(petrol)

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7VVT-i Raised Body Raider s/c lwb 2008

Sulphur smell(petrol)

Post by Arri »

Greetings

I have read numerous complaints and theories on the rich sulphur smell that one gets; when stopping after some driving in the new range of Toyota vehicles fitted with catalytic converters.
And I have personally noted it distincly after parking my Hilux or the Yarris. I also heard this from forunner owners and a prado owner.
Thus far I did not see anything for Toyota SA as to explaining the occurance. I have however seen an official report from Toyota USA stating that it's caused by the high sulphur content of some petrol
and advising customers to try a different brand. Which is bull off course because they all contain sulphur.
The local dealers are clueless or spinns a cock&bull story they have been told to say.
Now the smell really doesn't bother me, but I am curios too the cause; I know it's the sulphur but some guys say the engine is too lean or too rich and why is it mostly toyota's experiencing this.
And why does Toyota ignore this, Also I became aware of this after toyota introduced cathalytic converters to most of their products in recent years. And it's not limited to any specific Toyota petrol engine, Can this be harmfull, if it is tunning why do so many new toyotas suffer from this or are they all factory set to run too rich. And can this be of any harm to the engine or is it just harming the cyclist on his Sundy morning trip leaning against your Toyota at the red light?

Regards
Arri
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Sulphur smell(petrol)

Post by CasKru »

Arri wrote:Greetings

I have read numerous complaints and theories on the rich sulphur smell that one gets; when stopping after some driving in the new range of Toyota vehicles fitted with catalytic converters.
And I have personally noted it distincly after parking my Hilux or the Yarris. I also heard this from forunner owners and a prado owner.
Thus far I did not see anything for Toyota SA as to explaining the occurance. I have however seen an official report from Toyota USA stating that it's caused by the high sulphur content of some petrol
and advising customers to try a different brand. Which is bull off course because they all contain sulphur.
The local dealers are clueless or spinns a cock&bull story they have been told to say.
Now the smell really doesn't bother me, but I am curios too the cause; I know it's the sulphur but some guys say the engine is too lean or too rich and why is it mostly toyota's experiencing this.
And why does Toyota ignore this, Also I became aware of this after toyota introduced cathalytic converters to most of their products in recent years. And it's not limited to any specific Toyota petrol engine, Can this be harmfull, if it is tunning why do so many new toyotas suffer from this or are they all factory set to run too rich. And can this be of any harm to the engine or is it just harming the cyclist on his Sundy morning trip leaning against your Toyota at the red light?

Regards
Arri
Maybe lay off the scrambled eggs in the morning :mrgreen:

I drive one of the new Corollas and have not had any sulphur smell yet. I could be that you are using the incorrect octane as I believe most recommend 95 octane and here on the reef we mostly get 93 octane. I do fill with 95 when ever I can find it and maybe that makes a difference. m2cw
To God be the glory
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

The BM's do it to and it is sulphur that you are smelling and the smell is a by product of the chemical reaction that happens under verious driving conditions usually in the upper temp range of the cats. The smell will become less as the cat ages and its performance drops off. Nothing can be done about the smell :evil:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Cassie.. you are obviously not driving that Corolla hard enough.... :twisted: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Ek dink dit is juis die opposite..... Daai Corolla weet hoe om gereeld hier by 160 plus te hardloop :) En cornering sit hy ook surprisingly goed
To God be the glory
Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Arri »

Yes guys

I tried to cut off those mcmuffin with egg you get from the mcdonalds drive through, but it didn't help.
Anyway it's not just me I have heard this accross the board from new Toyota's and Have personally experienced it when brother parked his Prado; off course I blamed him.
But the Yarris is prone to it as well, Some people complain about smelling it when they stop at traffic lights; but then I told them that they should stop driving with their arms hanging out the open window of the sesfikile and rather concentrate on arriving alive than playing with the hooters all the time.
I have only experienced it when a new Toyota parked and you are in close vicinity.
It doesn't bother me as long it doesn't burn valves or something, but I just feel that Toyota SA should be honest, instead off telling the guys to bring their new vehicles in for expection and tiimming, it doesn't make it go away. I believe it is directly linked to catalytic converters and if you loose them you loose the smell.
The corolla will not do it, remember everything keeps going right advertisement a while ago, Chuck Norris drives a corolla.
Anyway the problem is not unique to SA they had in America for many years since Cats became law and it's not limited toyota or 4 y engines even the mighty Tundra has it and Lexus as well, mazda Nissan, Corvette too. This just shows again that global car manufaturers screws us believe everyone is ignorant and kills us with sulphur whilst pleasing L.Gore and the bunny huggers with expensive emission controlls. Toyota have already admitted this problem in 2003 and does changes under warrantee because of liabilities, but we Soufricans always gets the mushroom treatment.
Check this link for Toyota's first Technical bulletin : http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/sulf ... 003-03.pdf
and http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attachmen ... tid=106525
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

And you know what's the worst part of all this?! :shock: :shock:

A while back I read an article (can't remember where and whom) that actually talked about the lead and unleaded fuels. According to that article the catalytic converter only start functioning when at the correct temperature and even then it is not 100% effective. The initial problem why we went from leaded to unleaded is due to the lead in the leaded fuel. When the gas came out of the exhaust it would almost immediatly settle down onto the road and a few yards from the road as lead deposits. Lead is harmful if inhaled. So you actually would only be affected if you are laying on the road surface or sitting next to the road. Now with unleaded the gas emitted is even more toxic than lead and is supposedly filtered out by the cat. But like I mentioned before, the cat only filters properly when up to it's opperating temp. So mean time those toxic gasses get 's pumped out. The difference here between the leaded and the unleaded is that this toxic gas of the unleaded fuel remains airborn. :shock: :shock:

So basically, according to the article, we're not really any better of with unleaded fuel. As a matter of fact, it might actually be worse! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Leave it with you, use it don't use it
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

CasKru wrote:So basically, according to the article, we're not really any better of with unleaded fuel. As a matter of fact, it might actually be worse! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yes Cassie I also read an article to this effect. As with everthing where big corporates/government are involved, it leaves us (the normal population) paying more to be worse off, while they (the "clever" guys) make heaps of money... :evil: :evil:

It's a cruel world... :shock: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

This is their motto:
Image YOU
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

CasKru wrote:This is their motto:
Image YOU
Screwdriver you? Screw you drivers? Screw drivers like you? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Okay okay... hier is prentjies vir die wat sukkel om die eerste een te verstaan.....(nê Thys)

ImageImage
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

CasKru wrote:Okay okay... hier is prentjies vir die wat sukkel om die eerste een te verstaan.....(nê Thys)

ImageImage
Skroef Huisgenoot?? Dis Steve Hofmeyr se lyn daai :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Gelukkig het ek nie Jurie se line gebruik nie :)
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

CasKru wrote:Gelukkig het ek nie Jurie se line gebruik nie :)
As jy DIT in prentjies probeer uitspel het het Bennie ons altwee se bakkies gekonfiskeer en ons geban... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Kaspaas wrote:
CasKru wrote:Gelukkig het ek nie Jurie se line gebruik nie :)
As jy DIT in prentjies probeer uitspel het het Bennie ons altwee se bakkies gekonfiskeer en ons geban... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ek sou ook as eh so useless span soos hy gehad het en nie 'n bakkie gehad het om mee te ry nie. :twisted:
To God be the glory
Arri
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Arri »

Good one

The lead causes madness, in the old days all plumbing used lead pipes instaed of sink or copper and uses lead soldering instad of copper brazing, thus the name plumbing derived from Plumbum(Lead)to link them.So a few people went bonkers, and they replaced the lead plumbing . Then the led in petrol which was an excellent lubricant had to be replaced for poisoning from cars. I guess some guys
also went bonkers from licking the road surfface, Now we have leadfree petrol and cats that kills you in different way and costs more. They also banned hunting and target shooting with standard
lead bullets and shot because the lead poisons the environment. And the according to the Geneva convention if you want to kill somebody you have to do it in a decent manner and use full metal jacketed bullets so that the person who gets shot cannot get lead poisoning and die of that. Kind of absurd when shooting at somebody.
Of course there is some proof in all of this and good that they ban poisonoss substances, But big business and goverment just uses the excuses and those two pictures come to mind. If we removed lead that is expensive from the petrol and replaced with a cheaper synthetic lubricant, then petrol should be cheaper, more people should be healthy and sane. But that is not how life goes; the old saying
about "die wet van Transvaal "rings oh so true when you come to think about it. And the reality is there's nothing we can do about it, because the majority beleieve evrything they read in a newspaper or see on TV.
Arriwyks
Toyota Fan
arriwyks@gmail.com

ImageImageImageImage

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”