'New' Hilux clutch problem

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

'New' Hilux clutch problem

Post by Johan Kriel »

I bought the 3.0D4D DC 2x4 end 2007, and within the first week I took it back 'for the clutch adjuting itself'. It continusly engaged at different hights. They replaced the actuator.
Two/three months later the replaced the master, actuator and sleeve cylinder as the same problems starts. Two months ago the clutch started slipping. It adjusted itself untill it starting to engaged, reason for the slipping. They replaced the clutch kit and adjusted it. Since last week it does the same. Adjusting itself untill slipping.

I have done 82 000kms and will soon be out of the warranty.

Now they will replace the booster. Will this solve the problem?.

My concern is the end of the warranty, and then it becomes my responsibility, although the Local Agent's Manager said they will give me extented warranty on their work.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: 'New' Hilux clutch problem

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Johan, had the same problem on my 3.0 d4d(Fortuner). Took it back to Toy dealer. They replaced under warranty, Put a clutch in from Germany....No questions
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Johan Kriel »

Last week I took it to the third dealer for advice. They adjusted the clutch and solved the problem :clap: , after all parts were replaced by the first two. I think there was a problem right in the beginning it seems, but looks like if not all Toy mechanics understand the working of it.

The guy that set it correct said, if not adjusted properly it built up and then the slipping starts.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Let's hope the problem is sorted out, there is nothing more frustrating!
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Johan Kriel »

The problem was not sorted. It appears to be that the free play on the clutch are being taken up by the expansion of the brake fluid, the reason for the built up, and then the slipping.

Toy made a modification by a putting shim at the back of the master cylinder. This problem appears to be not an uncommon problem on the hi-lux

Hope its sorted now.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Johan Kriel »

The modification has proved itselves, still no slipping yet.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hope it lasts! Can't believe that they don't know how to sort it out, especially if it's as you say a common problem. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Allrounder
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux 2.7vvti

Post by Allrounder »

Hi Johan, I have a 2006 Hilux 2.7VVTi D/C and I have exactly the same problem, I took it to Vaal Toyota in Vereeniging and they could not find anything wrong, then I went to Vaal Toyota in Sasolburg and they made some adjustments, but still no success and my warrenty expired end of last year. Can't we talk to someone higher up regarding this problem as it seems we are not the only ones with the slipping clutch?

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”