Botswana - in 4X2??

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
Transkalahari515
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Honeydew
Vehicle: 06 Hilux 4x2 Levelled suspension, RV replacement bull bar, on board compressor, 31 inch Wranglers, a spade and a good attitude

Botswana - in 4X2??

Post by Transkalahari515 »

Hi All :wave:

Starting to plan a trip to Bots for 3 months time from now.

Onlycatch is that i have sold the Prado 3.4 V6 ( :o: ) Fuel was just getting ridiculous and toll gates coming as well :thumbdown:

So, have 2 options , we can either rig Tazz with a few essentials (Fridge , rooftop tent?) or try to tackle in Swambo s new ride, 1.8 Rav 4(also 4x2).

Space will be tighter in the Rav 4 but should be fine?

Its the ground clearance thatdoesnt look good though.

Would love to go in the Lux but have the rugrats in attendance as well and its a single cab, :banned: Got a canopy though :blushing:

Dont really want them inthe back of the bakkie but we have done closer trips like this and they loved it.

Can anybody givesome suggestions for a route of about a week duration and bearing in mind the 4x2 aspect and we are camping.

Hilux is lifted as well but no winch(YET)

Thanks for the time guys :dance1: :bye:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Botswana - in 4X2??

Post by OOOOMS »

You will be able to get to most 95% of the places in Bots, only tip would be stay out of the Moremi. Outer-lying area's would be fine like Maun :thumbup:
Transkalahari515
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: 06 Hilux 4x2 Levelled suspension, RV replacement bull bar, on board compressor, 31 inch Wranglers, a spade and a good attitude

Thanks Mark, good to hear.

Why not the Moremi though, too wet/mud .

Trying to plan to go before the rains for this reason,

Any other suggested places?

Would just love to get Tazz into a bit of deep sand and light a fire and have a few cold ones with some sand in between my toes :thumbup: :roll:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Transkalahari515 wrote:Thanks Mark, good to hear.

Why not the Moremi though, too wet/mud .

Trying to plan to go before the rains for this reason,

Any other suggested places?

Would just love to get Tazz into a bit of deep sand and light a fire and have a few cold ones with some sand in between my toes :thumbup: :roll:
I would even be hesitant going there alone with my 4x4.

Chobe should be fine that time of year...even with the Tazz :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could also do the 'Hunters road' trip, still quite a bit of game around near the water holes :thumbup: You know where that is?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Read here, this can all be done in a 2x4 :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21528&hilit=HWANGE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Transkalahari515
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Only been up as far as Lopolole by vehicle, so please give more details of Hunters road? :?:

Was truely inspired to see more of the country when had to " work" in the delta at Abu Camp last year this timeand have been aching to get back there ever since,

Been told by Mrs that my eyes even glass over when someone gets me started talking about the Okovango :cry:

When you say you wouldnt even go alone in your 4x4 , is it really that treacherous??
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

OOOOMS wrote:Read here, this can all be done in a 2x4 :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21528&hilit=HWANGE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Klick on the link and will take you to the thread :thumbup:

I would not venture through there alone (Moremi) that is, there are some unavaoidable river crossings you will encounter, even in the dry season:

See here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16622&hilit=marius+%2F+carmen+smit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Transkalahari515
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Hi Mark

Looks like a spectacular time was had by all,

Must personally thank you for an alternative to work this afternoon, couldnt get off the threads, was addictive. :tongue:

Have taken down alot of the details from the TRs for referance , hope you dont mind, any other details would be great if you or anyone else can provide of decent places for accomodation. :think:

In your opinion , do you think better to pre- book or just arrive?

Like the thrill of not knowing but SWAMBO not so keen :punch:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Transkalahari515 wrote:Hi Mark

Looks like a spectacular time was had by all,

Must personally thank you for an alternative to work this afternoon, couldnt get off the threads, was addictive. :tongue:

Have taken down alot of the details from the TRs for referance , hope you dont mind, any other details would be great if you or anyone else can provide of decent places for accomodation. :think:

In your opinion , do you think better to pre- book or just arrive?

Like the thrill of not knowing but SWAMBO not so keen :punch:
You camping or lodging :?:

If camping not really a problem :thumbup: Especially out of season.
Lodging....well I don't really know.....we camp and have never had a problem! Have not booked a holiday camp in more than 10 years, you will always find something, just don't start looking to late :!:

Return to “Places to go”