IFS chassis flex at steering box

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Drifter X
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Kzte

IFS chassis flex at steering box

Post by Drifter X »

Hi All

I encountered a strange issue on my 2003 hilux kzte a few weeks ago, I noticed a very small crack at the bottom of the chassis where the steering box mounts. I had this repaired and realised that the reason for the crack was potentially due to the bottom fastening bolt of the steering box being a bit loose which allowed some movement when steering. With everything now repaired and properly fastened I noticed that when moving steering left and right the steering box actually creates some flex on the actual chassis where it is mounted. I am not sure if this is normal or whether this part of the chassis has become slightly weakened. I am aware that the chassis is meant to flex to a certain extent but my understanding was that there should be no flex at an actual mounting. Any advice from the seasoned gurus would be welcome.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: IFS chassis flex at steering box

Post by Mud Dog »

I would also think that the chassis should not flex (I assume you mean a twisting motion) from the steering action of the box. I wonder if there's not another crack further back in the chassis that you haven't seen. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Drifter X
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Drifter X »

Yes I mean twisting motion. It's a very small movement. I have checked no other cracks so so I'm a bit confused...
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

There is normally a brace between the ends of the rails which will minimise twist. Is that still there?

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Drifter X
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Drifter X »

Yes it is.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Something is not right, there should be little or no twisting. What tyre size and tread width are you running? I'm thinking that besides the possibility of damage, there must be some reason like steering resistance that exacerbates the problem. (I'm still not convinced that there isn't something wrong with the chassis).

Drifter X
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Drifter X »

Hi Mud dog. I am running bigger tyres. Tread is all terrain so not too aggressive. Going to do a more in depth inspection of the chassis this afternoon.

Return to “The Workshop”