Weber 38 a fire hazard?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Weber 38 a fire hazard?

Post by Family_Dog »

This from the 4x4 Community forum...
Last week, the engine of my 'Lux caught fire after the fuel hose to the carburettor came loose and sprayed fuel all over the (hot) engine. Thank Heavens for things like fire extinguishers! Still ended up having to replace all hoses, belts, some wiring, distributor cap, fan and cowling! Should'nt complain, it is still cheaper than replacing the whole bakkie!
Upon cleaning the effects of the fire (and the fire extinguisher), I found that the Brass coupling between the rubber hose and the carburettor had come loose. Upon speaking to people more knowledgable than me, I was told that this brass coupling is an interferance fit (read pressed in) into the carburettor, and that they have been known to work loose!
So, if you drive a vehicle fitted with a Weber 38 carb, check that coupling!
I have been advised to have the hole for the coupling tapped, and a threaded coupling made up for it. Failing that, at least to wire the hose to the carb itself.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=14313

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Weber 38 a fire hazard?

Post by ThysdJ »

Yes this is true!! I had a close shave like this too with a Weber carbie on my Ford Cortina bakkie in the 80's. On my previous Hilux (Ford V6) we took 2 cable ties and tied the the hose to the carb's body to prevent this from happening. :!:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 89 2.2 Hilux DC

Post by freeflyd »

For Sale:

Weber 38 Carb...
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

How much will you pay me to take it off your hands?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Eric

Don't you think a 1000 bucks for a golf carb would be money well spent on your van in the meanwhile until you make up your mind on the EFI. You should be able to sell it again afterwards. Think of it as a R1K insurance policy and hopefully the float chamber issue would disappear as well.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Heh... I walked into Midas that day to buy a Golf Carb (they are also made by Nikki, as I recall) and the owner of Midas suggested I rather go speak to Piet Carburettor, who talked me into the Weber. When I get the 4Y back, I will look very closely at this fuel pipe, but it might only be a problem related to a 38, I don't know if the 36 has the same problem. If so, some Pratley Putty or similar might not be a bad idea.

Used to have an Opel with the 2.5 engine some years back fitted with a Weber, and the car did over 200,000 MILES without any problems! Those days, a brand new Weber was only R100 or thereabouts!

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

You can buy golf carbs second hand and overhaul them, they rarely give problems with butterfly bushes etc and a second hand one wont cost that much either.

Maybe one day one of us (read me) should buy one and try it out for a while so that we can put this to reat once and for all :?:

F_D, those days you could also go to the movies, buy popcorn and sweets and still get change from 5c, :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Scooter wrote:You can buy golf carbs second hand and overhaul them, they rarely give problems with butterfly bushes etc and a second hand one wont cost that much either.

Maybe one day one of us (read me) should buy one and try it out for a while so that we can put this to reat once and for all :?:

F_D, those days you could also go to the movies, buy popcorn and sweets and still get change from 5c, :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
There was a chap on the now defunct SA4X4 who did just this, and was very pleased with the results. Unfortunately, he never replied to my last post and then the forum went to Cyber Heaven (R.I.P.)

AutoZone are selling Golf 1,2,3 Carbies for R575, don't know whether they are genuine or not. The adapter plate costs about R80 from Midas if AZ don't have them.

As an ankle biter, I used to go to the Lake Cinema in Parkview, JHB, Saturday mornings, armed with 1 shilling. That gained me entrance (6d), a Coke (4d) and two Penny Suckers (or whatever they were called, long ice creams on a stick). I also took along an armful of comics to swap with other guys there... great fun was had by all!

-F_D

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Family_Dog wrote:AutoZone are selling Golf 1,2,3 Carbies for R575, don't know whether they are genuine or not. The adapter plate costs about R80 from Midas if AZ don't have them.
Eric what els need to change, air filter fitting ...... :?:
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 89 2.2 Hilux DC

Post by freeflyd »

I have a 38 Weber on my 2.2. 4y and hate it. It's heavy on fuel, has huge pre-ignition problems and stalls on steep inclines. I went to 3 Carb places in Pretoria to ask advice and all three gave me the same solution:

Change the 38 to either 36DCd? or 32/36 which is apparently the cheaper but better option... It is quite expensive at R2500 incl parts and labour, so I have not done it yet, but once I have, I will post my experience with it. There were 2 SFA Hulixes at 2 places that was owned by the shop owners, so I'm not against taking their advice...
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Dankie Dawie, dit sal nice wees, ek het gehoor die ouens doen die VW carb maar wat ek eintlik wou weet is watter ander goed moet jy vervang om weer aan die gang te kom. Net sodat n mens die volle koste implikasie kan kry van so n verandering.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Niel wrote:
Family_Dog wrote:AutoZone are selling Golf 1,2,3 Carbies for R575, don't know whether they are genuine or not. The adapter plate costs about R80 from Midas if AZ don't have them.
Eric what els need to change, air filter fitting ...... :?:
Niel,

The guy on the old forum had plenty of information regarding the VW Carb, but sadly it seems to be all lost now. For the Weber 36 fitted to mine, I have a special fitting that makes use of the original Donaldson filter, not sure what is available for the VW carburettor. There was another chap (in Upington, I think), who was intending to do the same conversion, perhaps Eben can remember his details.

-F_D

Return to “The Workshop”