4Y rebuild?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

4Y rebuild?

Post by Family_Dog »

I have replaced my 300,000Km 4Y engine with a new Chinese import, which has so far dome 5,000Km with no problems other than I replaced the Carb with a Weber because of excessive fuel consumption. Don't yet know how good the Weber is as I have not done any trips as yet.

I am now considering overhauling the original Toyota 4Y engine, because I would like to keep my Toy all Toyota and at the first sign of trouble (if any!) with the Chinese 4Y engine, I can replace it.

One of the problems with this, if I do the engine up now, it will have to be "gift-wrapped" in plastic until such time I might need it, in three, four or more years. I realise I will have no warranty with this engine by the time I eventually install it due to the time difference, but I still think this is the way to go. The engine is currently completely disassembled, it requires a 20 thou rebore, although there does not seem to be much of a ridge and the crank looks good too. But I would rather do it the correct way, replace oil & water pumps, rebore, rebuild.

Am I being stupid or what? I was quoted about R5800 for the job.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Will you be re-assembling the engine yourself? Or does the quote include the re-assembly?

What you can consider rather doing is have all the machine work done, buy whatever spares that you will require, eg big end bearings, mains, Payen only gasket set, water pump etc and do not re-assemble the engine now, then if you do need this engine, it could either be re-assembled by yourself or by them and if they do it, then you will still have the garantee, however if you have the engine re-assembled completely now, deal with a business that will understand what you want to do and tell them that you will not be fitting the engine now and that when you do you will let them know.

If you re-assemble the engine, I do not recommend that you cling wrap it, rather place it is a wooden box with a sealed lid, screwed down, put oil in the engine and leave it, but do not fit the waterpump.

It can stay in this position for twenty years and you will not have to worry about it, if you cling wrap it, mice, rats and moister will destroy it.

And if you do not use it, I could always end up buying it from you :wink: :twisted: Thank's in advance :)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi FD

I agree with Simon regarding the storage.
Why dont you wait till Chinese 4y is out of warranty.Fix the origanal and use the Chinese as a backup.
Or is it a hassle with the registration papers?
My 2 cents
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Simon & George,

I think this will be the way that I go then, thank you for the advice.

I am getting prices from an engine overhaul facility before giving the go-ahead for the overhaul. Simon, I will let them do the complete job as then there should be no quibble with the guarantee.

Why should I not fit the water pumo - is there a chance of it seizing while standing in storage? Klerksdorp is such a dry place, that when it does rain, we all run out to see what rain actually looks like :)

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Eric

I personally would be scared that rubber seals (like valve stem seals) and stuff might become hard if it stands for 5 years.
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

4Y rebuild

Post by Andries »

Hello Family Dog

I know someone with a d/c hilux with a chinese 4y in and he has done over 200 000km without any problems. I have a chinese 4y in my d/c and did 15 000km without any problems. I took it to Steve's Auto Clinic for a dyno and a branch. It kicks out about 130NM and runs like a dream. Put back your origanal 4y carb and starter and you will have no problems. The problem of rebuilding you origanal 4y is that engines does high milage and you know metal fitige :?: plays a role. I also redone my s/c 's origanal 4y and have a problem of throwing oil throw the breather on top of the carb from the word go. I redone it again after 13 000km and it still does the same, and i know somebody with the same problem and Toyota did the overall twise and it stays the same.

Andries :x
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Bennie,

Spoke to the engine overhaulers today. What they've agreed to do is to do the engine up completely, replace everything that should be changed, and then they will crate it up in a wooden crate for me. When I decide to install the engine, then I will contact them and they will only then start the guarantee. Sounds a good deal to me!

What I am thinking of doing...

At the end of my Chinese 4Y guarantee, remove that engine and fit it to my SWB, which currently has a 3Y engine and does use a bit of oil, although it still pulls like a bomb. Then fit the rebuilt original engine into the 2.2 DC. I have been getting that itching feeling to keep my Toyota ALL Toyota, guess I'm becoming sentimental as I mature ;)

-F_D

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Andries,

That is something that I do not want to happen. I will speak to the guys who do the overhauling on Monday about this. Thank you for the advice, and the positive story about the Chinese engine. If mine should do 200,000Km, I doubt it will be a problem to me :)

-F_D

SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Waterpump

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Waterpumps have a seal that can become damaged due to not been used, most waterpumps nowdays are sealed, thus the seal surface cannot be oiled, however if you are going to use the engine after a year, then it should be fine to fit the waterpump as well.

It is very thoughtfull of them to put the engine in a wooden crate and then start the garantee when you remove it to fit into your vehicle.

I am rather tired tonight, just went down to East London this afternoon to fetch my "new" car and got back late will chat again this weekend. :)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Rebuild

Post by Riceburner »

I redone my 4y myself and after all the machining and decent parts(kolbein smidt pistons) clutch, water, oil pump ect it cost me R12 000 at the end of the day. I dont have to change the papers if I put in a Chineese motor.

Return to “The Workshop”