High beam not working - 97 SFA

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

High beam not working - 97 SFA

Post by zepplin »

Has any one had experience with this? When flashing the brights they work fine but when pushing stalk forwards for permanent brights they don't come on at all?
I'm thinking the switch inside the column covers is FUBAR.
Where to get one other than the stealers???
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: High beam not working - 97 SFA

Post by CasKru »

Scrapyard or even Gemini.

You could probably save it. Take the unit out and clean it with some contact cleaner. Might save you a few bucks
To God be the glory
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Mine had the same issue, but strangely the spots would still come on as they are on their own circuit with a relay. So I bought another relay and wired the highbeam up trough the new relay, problem solved. I think the contact points deteriorate on the switch, but it still has enough power to send a on signal to the relay
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Or you could take the unit apart, and solder the contact points again.... worked for me.

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Thanks guys. I guess it's out with the soldering iron.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Contact Cleaner works wonders! This is a common fault with the SFA steering column light switch.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

had same issue, contact cleaner and work it good couple times, and voila she fixed, tip from guys on forum, and it works :)
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Adelaide
Vehicle: Toyota camry altise. Till I find a replacement hilux.

Post by rebuilder »

A relay would solve the problem and stop it from happening again. I have had this problem on numerous vehicles and trucks. I do it as a standard on most vehicles now and you get a brighter light from headlights than normal.
There is a madness about been mad that only a mad person can understand.
Diesel and dust is where home is at.
mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: 2001 Prado 3.4 VX

Post by mervyn »

I have same issue. Gonna try the contact cleaner 1st. will le tu guys know
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

10 to 1 it's the stalk switch. The contact cleaner works, but I replaced the contacts in the switch on mine since they were a little too burnt by arcing ... not a kit that can be ordered, but a DIY job. Best of luck! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mervyn »

Guys I stripped mine this afternoon. Used contact cleaner and looked at the contact point module. Darned thing works to flash but not to stay on if you flick the stalk stick. It was getting late and I didnt read Andy's reply by then, so I took down the part number (176336R9 if anyone wants it), in the hope of sourcing a new one. However Andy now says that we cant get it, so it looks like I have to strip it again over the weekend. Thing though is I tried to make sense of the contact points and how they work. For the limited time I looked at it, I just didnt figure it out. Understood how the driving light and 'high beam on demand' works but not the high beam in 'locked' position. But guess that if contacts are worn then I have to look at it again. Any tips Andy as to which points need to be re-built?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Mervyn, what I meant is that there is no repair kit available. Complete stalk switches are (or were) still available from the dealers and IIRC they were in the region of about R750 at the time. This was all quite some time ago that I re-conned mine, so my memory is more than a little fuzzy as to which contacts I rebuilt. I do recall that it was confusing for me at first as well and took a little while to figure out how it all worked. What I do remember is that the mechanics of the switch worked fine ... it stayed on brights when I pushed the lever forwards but just didn't make proper contact.

If you can't get a replacement (new or 2nd hand), strip it again when you have more time to figure it out. Sorry I can't help more at this point,

Best of good luck! ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Blaps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 Ford V6

Post by Blaps »

Im trying to find out from toyota if it is still available but the guy came back to me and said the part no: must be 9 digits ???? :wth: :?
Go, just go.... Somewhere.... Out There...
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Autozone used to sell the Taxi Generic one for Hi-Aces, seemed to be much the same as far as I remember. Was a few years back, but the price very fair at the time. Certainly only about 20% of the price that the genuine item costs.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Blaps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 Ford V6

Post by Blaps »

OK!!! it's like this :lol:
If you buy it from a person that works for yota, this person can get it for about R680. employee discounts, benefits whatever you want to call it :?
If you dont care and is very honest you will pay R1280 at yota stealers! :x
Go, just go.... Somewhere.... Out There...
mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mervyn »

Yep, I also checked with Yota. Price was R1359-00 incl. My stalk stick is working fine save for permanent high beam. Going to strip and look carefully this time.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Merwyn, when you push the stalk switch forward to the high beam position, does it click and stay in place? In other words, Are the mechanics of the switch in order? If so, then it has to be contacts. If you've used the contact cleaner and it hasn't helped, then the contacts are burnt away.

Another thought is that it could be the relay and not the stalk switch at all .... better check that first. ;-)

mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mervyn »

Andy mechanics seems fine, switch stays in place. Cud be relay, never thought of that. Where do I find that?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Not sure anymore, but I think it's one of those in the fuse box under the bonnet (driver's side). Should be marked on the diagram on the lid. If it's not there, then it may be behind the driver's side kick panel. :think:

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

So yesterday I took the bakkie to work in order to stretch its' legs again, and on the way home I realised I now have the same problem :problem:

Pulling the stalk back everything works, pushing it forward it latches, but only the Warn spots light up, headlights completely dead. Can't be wiring, must be switch issue and reading the above it seems the train of thought is correct.

I'll check out the stalk switch & attempt a repair, but in case I need to wire an additional relay, where would the easiest place be to pick up the wire for the high beam? Thoughts are to disconnect wire from stalk to fusebox ( iow the supply side) & hook that up to the relay which will draw power straight from battery. Want to avoid splicing into harnesses.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

If the spots still come on then the stalk switch must be working ..... it's more likely to be the headlamp relay. :scratch:

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Haven't checked yet, so wasn't sure if high beams have a relay ( I know the spots have). So if you think it's the relay then howcome the headlamps work when I pull the stalk back? Unless the low beams are supposed to be off when the stalk is in the forward position, then it could be the fuse or the relay on the high beam circuit, in other words when the stalk is pulled back the low beams & spots are on but the high beams are still dead... :think:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Stef, as far as I know, stalk forward = spots & high beam only .... stalk pulled back (flash) = spots, high & low beam. So as you say, it indicates a fault in either the high beam relay, fuse or wiring circuit. (Probably you'll find it's just a poor connection somewhere. :think: )

Royco
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

I had the same thing happen on my LTD.
They had to replace the whole stalk assembly (not sure what it's called).
Back in those days it was a lot of $$! I managed to get one off a Cressida, with a little "work" it fitted.
But the auto electricians could not fix the switch.

Hope for your sake its not that...!!
Image Image Image Image
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Mud Dog wrote:Stef, as far as I know, stalk forward = spots & high beam only .... stalk pulled back (flash) = spots, high & low beam.
Cool...it saves plenty time when one has an idea of how it's supposed to work :thumbup:
Royco wrote: I managed to get one off a Cressida, with a little "work" it fitted.
But the auto electricians could not fix the switch.

Hope for your sake its not that...!!

Me too! But me thinks it's just a fuse / relay. Spots still work so switch should be fine, but I'm gonna clean the contacts anyway
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: High beam not working - 98 LTD

Post by Stef »

Did some checking last night...

Fuses & Relays all fine.
The headlight switch turned to 'parklights' will actuate the tail light relay behind kick panel.
Turned to 'headlights' position the Denso relay in bonnet fusebox is actuated.
No extra relay for high beam, but additional one for spots.
The Denso relay will send 12V to 10A headlamp fuse holders.
From the other side of fuse holder the Red/white wire goes to the left lamp and the red/black wire goes to the right lamp (side contacts).
The top contacts of lamps are grounded, but also connected to spot relay coil, the other end of coil is also ground, but physically with a wire to chassis.

With stalk forward, the Denso relay remains actuated, thus still 12V to low beam (side) contacts on lamps, but the top contacts of lamp previously grounded now becomes 12V, thus actuating the spot relay.

Logic tells me tha the remaining side contacts on the lamps must now be grounded, but is also 12V , thus with all 3 lamp contacts 12V, it's no wonder they are dead, which now takes me back to the stalk switch.

So the low/high beams in the headlamps are switched by shunting the ground point of the filaments, very clever trick indeed.
Will test my theory 2day when someone can pull the stalk back (where all works fine) while I operate the Fluke front
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

No need to test my theory, it's all here http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks ... ight_Combo :thumbup:

Refers to a 4runner, but principle stays the same, should have looked here first :blackeye: Aah well...good to know the grey matter is not completel rotten just yet :mrgreen:
Royco
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

Nice going Stef. I do hope you get it sorted.
I found my old original switch lever assembly for the LTD, I'm not going to try to fix it now, but it's available if you need spare parts... :thumbup:
Image Image Image Image
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Royco wrote:Nice going Stef. I do hope you get it sorted.
I found my old original switch lever assembly for the LTD, I'm not going to try to fix it now, but it's available if you need spare parts... :thumbup:
That's mighty nice of you :thumbup: Will shout if in need.

Buggered myself around a bit with the testing :mrgreen: ...is best to remove fuses, relays & disconnect bulbs before tracing the wiring with a multimeter..Duh! Only after I did that I figured out the ground switching bit, and the other point to remember is the bulb common contact ( which I thought was the low beam contact) is wired to 12V when the relay is actuated.

Just future reference for whoever might need it.... :wink2:
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Stefan i'm startin on the end of your topic her and i'm not one for a lot of reading, but

My LTD had toubles with the brights
Dimm and driving lights were fine but when i switch to brights, only the spots worked and the headlights went of.

I removed the stearing wheel, cluster at steering coulom and the whole swith part (Indicators , wipers ect) cleaned it and re fitted every thing, and whala all is working 100% seems like there was a bad conection on the bright's switch
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Tx George, managed to fix it last night. The contact was actually burned, more like a residue from the switchin arcs.

In short (pardon the pun), the contact was not making a solid zero resistance connection, so if measured with a multimeter while the globes are unplugged you get 12V between batt + and the high beam contact, but with the globes plugged in the resistance is too high and you don't get a proper ground.

I took some pics during the repair:

The make shift steering puller
Puller.jpg
The steering wheel inside, note the threaded holes either side of the centre hole; this is where the bolts of the puller go in. The socket pushes against steering column shaft ( with the lock nut place, just loosened a turn or two)
steering wheel.jpg
Unscrew this plug from it's bracket to het slack on the harness in order to pull the switch assy. off the column
plug.jpg
The contacts
high beam contacts.jpg
The culprit...
high beam contacts2.jpg

Just sanded with very fine sandpaper and voilla!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Job well done! :)

-F_D

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Those contacts carry a fair load and I think that the resultant arcing gives rise to this fairly common problem. A relay (or two) up front for the headlamps is definitely on the cards, so that the stalk switch only has to operate a relay and nit the switching. ;-)

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

I must say looking at the gauge of the wire (red/yellow) on those contacts as well as the contacts themselves they are adequate for the headlights. The contactacts were not burned/pitted, more like a residue that increases resistance. Given the age of the vehicle it's actually not that bad.

Definitely considering the additional relay on the ground line, just need to figure out where to hook it up. I think the fuse box might be the best place, can actually mount it inside as well.
So the red/yellow wire from the plug in the fuse box would be removed and hooked up to the relay coil, while the realy contact would replace the wire in the plug.

Alternatively one could just tap a feed of the spotlight relay :think:
Whatson
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 93 SC Hilux 4Y

Post by Whatson »

Thanks, had same problem, found this topic which has saved me a lot of time :thumbup:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Good to hear...the pics were worth the effort then :thumbup:
TOYFORD
Town: east london
Vehicle: v6 hilux

Post by TOYFORD »

Hi guys, to cut a long story short i had the same prob with my high beam,stripped all down and used fine water paper between high beam contacts,never had a prob again.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

TOYFORD wrote:Hi guys, to cut a long story short i had the same prob with my high beam,stripped all down and used fine water paper between high beam contacts,never had a prob again.
Tx Shawn & welcome :thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Shawn ..... good to see yet another East Londoner here. :thumbup: :thumbup: ;-)

Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

I bought a new switch harness with cable and plug from ONE Tonner in Pta for R150.
TOYFORD
Town: east london
Vehicle: v6 hilux

Post by TOYFORD »

TKS MUD DOG
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

Mud Dog wrote:Those contacts carry a fair load and I think that the resultant arcing gives rise to this fairly common problem. A relay (or two) up front for the headlamps is definitely on the cards, so that the stalk switch only has to operate a relay and nit the switching. ;-)
Andy,
My Hilux has a relay for this purpose as standard in the fuse/relay box under the bonnet. It is the only relay there and this opperates the lights. Therefore it is not required to add another relay as you suggested.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Rider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 1987 Toyota Hilux 4x4 d/c 40mm body lift, KZ-TE Diff with Diff lock, Snorkel, 31" AT tyres , Powered by FORD 3.0 V6 uprated.

Post by Rider »

519franco and I having the same problem. thanks....gonna try sort mines out.
PROUD OWNER OF A TOYOTA HILUX AKA AMA-HIPZ
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

Hi gents, I added some photies cos mine had a funny plastic thingy covering the contacts - this required removing the hazards switch to get the cover off..
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG (72.17 KiB) Viewed 24201 times
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG (69.71 KiB) Viewed 24201 times
The sad thing is, even after I did all of this, the sanding, the spraying etc...the bloody thing still didnt work, brights okay to flash but the minute I push the stalk forward everything goes off. :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: - now I'm stumped...did I sand them enough? I used 800 grit which is quite a fine sand paper.
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux D/C 2.2 Petrol (4Y SFA)

Post by Ryperd »

Thanks all for the instructions, particularly Stef and James for the photos :thumbup: . Mine also had the plastic cover. It took some time to identify which contact was the problematic one, which I did by flicking the lever arm to see which contacts were closing the circuit. I used a fine keyhole file and then finished it off with some water paper. I kept checking the lights while I was sanding to see when the brights were back in action. Seems to be working properly again!
Tom Cruiser: 2001 Land Cruiser 79 1HZ
Ryperd: 1994 Hilux D/C 4Y SFA - sold

Return to “The Workshop”