Turbo on 4Y

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Turbo on 4Y

Post by george »

Hi Guys
Have not been on the site for a while :oops: Hope all is well.
My Lux is very underpower.More than the normal 4Y's I drive with.The motor has been overhauled but it is still not up to standard.I am contemplating the following.
I can get my hands on a Turbo that came from a 4Y.Someone told me that if you make the compression lower(by inserting a spacer between the head) than you can not really damaged the motor.
What is your oppinion regarding fitting a turbo to a 4Y

George
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Re: Turbo on 4Y

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi George,

My first Hilux was a 4Y with an Alpine turbo. Had loads of power, could do 150 - 160 very easily.

But it eventually blew the head gasket!! Also, where the turbo fitted on the exhaust manifold it always leaked. Had it skimmed, still started to leak after a while. The exhaust manifold warped and caused it. Apparently the fix was to fit a thick copper/bronze gasket/spacer, never got around to it before I sold it.

IMHO a turbo gives you loads more power, but it is more maintenance intensive. W.r.t. the lowering of the compression by inserting a spacer, I guess it should be possible, but you should really do the calculations thoroughly, otherwise it won't be reliable.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Papa Joe
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: CT - North of the Boerewors curtain
Vehicle: LEGEND 35 - 2004 2.7 D/C Hilux 4x4

Post by Papa Joe »

George,

I think after ONE reply the answer should be clear ?
I can echo what Chris has said, as a mate of mine had the same problems.

Easy decision: Toyota reliability vs. bolt on turbo ?

There are other ways to get a few more kW's. Investigate those first.

Maybe a good topic to start ... with all of our Hilux guru's out there & here on the forum.
44444-WP
Papa Joe
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Thanks for the replies.
I agree with what you say.I bought a Hilux for the reason of reliability.Unfortunately my motor is very underpowered.Less than a standard 4Y.I have done a bit of mods(cam,freeflow.etc).I think I have motor that was built on a Monday :wink: .The other cause could be that I have the so called Botswana spec Hilux (Surf D/C) and maybe this body was not design for a 4y.The next step will be to try another 4Y and see if there is a difference.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

George first try another 4y carb and test it. On my company venture I had a problem one's with the carb and it did not want to give me that power needed. We replaced the carb and the motor was lekker again
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Hi Eben.I recently overhauled the carb and they tested it and said the flow was correct.
If I can find/borrow one to test that will be great.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Have you considered taking it to 4xTech, to get it checked out, from what I understand, it seems like Wessel knows his Hiluxes well.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

George, I will rather put up with the little power than doing something that will render a Hilux un-reliable.
Talk to JohanM, ask him what he did to his 4Y. After the Ou Trekpad play the other day he drove behind me and I just could not get away from him on the Contermanskloof road. So his 2.2 really do not lack power if you compare it to my 2.7.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

well, if its power you want... :mrgreen:

7M-GTE
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I must agree that off-road even the 18R (1800cc) in Limey will not stand back for bigger engines. Normally with big horses under the bonnet you need to restrain yourself off-road. But driving on a highway the opposite is true
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Hi Piet.
I agree.I am not going to go the turbo way.I have got a spare 4Y and in the near future will have it completely overhauled and then see if my motor was a DUD.
well, if its power you want...

7M-GTE
You never know.Have a few plans up my sleeve :twisted:
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Land Cruiser FJ62 3F

Post by Doctor V »

The bit where you say underpowered. Is it plain slow or do you have problems in the "rough"? My 4Y motor seems to behave as normal. Long hills tends to kill the speed and I can do 100 if I'm lucky. Cruising speed is about 110 - 130 but I prefer 120. Off road it has more than enough power. And it's got 277000 km's on the clock. The Carb is standard and the only extra is a Powerflow branch and freeflow. The head was skimmed and redone about a 1000k's ago (be re-torqued as we speak) and to be honest, I'm sure it has a bit more grunt under the bonnet. Tyres are 245/75/15 Regal Safari's so not exactly "fat" but not road tyres either
'07 D4D Fortuner 4X4, OME with BF AT's
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Bretton just gave me a clue to why my 4Y is underpowered
Yes you are correct the 'Brospeed' type cam mod does reduce the low end torque a bit, basically it seems to shift the power band up the rev range a bit, the advantage is more power at higher revs, 3500rpm to 5000rpm, but again who really uses this rev range in normal offroad driving, the low end torque is better to have for normal overlanding, but the guys who are into challenges and obsticles like to extra power at the top. I feel that jetting of the carb(if you don't have EFI) should be altered/checked via a dyno session after the cam is changed, also check the timing, the warmer cam changes the iginition timing point, my is now at 10deg and happy, standard 4Y has a book timing of 4deg... opinions vary.
When the cam was converted it did go well,but then from there I had it serviced a couple of times and my mechanic would have set the timing to the standard.I will talk to him and advance the timing.I do not like the dyno.Was there when they did it and the hair on your back stands up when they rev the motor like that.
Is it just the timimg you need to adjust or is there something else?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi George,

If you have electronic ignition, then it's the timing only, else if you have points then set the gap as well.
The correct jetting of carb will make a difference, but better performance through up-jetting will cause higher fuel consumption.

Bretton

Return to “The Workshop”