Electrical gremlin

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Charlie Brown
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2.2 SFC Hi Lux

Electrical gremlin

Post by Charlie Brown »

Hi guys. Anyone ever lost the use of your vehicles hooter and hazard lights at the same time?
Well, here's the solution!!!!!!!!!!

After about two hours of dismantling of "Gatstamp's" dash and anyting to do with wiring in the engine bay, it seemed that the loss of power from the fuse of the hooter / hazard lights in the engine bay to said hooter and hazard lights, is the connection that was done in the wiring harness when it was originally made.

Just about 100mm from were the plug with a green/white wire, a red wire and a yellow wire leaves the front fuse box and joins the main wiring harness that goes to the inside of the cab, but before it goes thru the inside fender above the front wheel, is a joint were three wires joined.

The culprit is the green/white wire. A small crimping lug has been used and this has corroded away due to water or battery acid, as this part of the wiring sits behind the battery. The green/white wire then continues the feed power to the hooter and the second wire, colour now green/orange feeds power to the hazard light switch.

The wires are very short and an extention to the wire has to be made when rejoining them.

I hope that someone out there on this fantastic forum can find help from this experience.

Charlie Brown
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Electrical gremlin

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Charles

Yep, looks like the previous owner of my Lux had the same problem as you :!:

I noticed that much re-wiring has gone on in this part of the loom, Unfortunately - the Auto Electrician has not made a nice job of rectification. :(

And - like most Trades-people I've been too busy fixing everybody else's Electrical Probs before 'getting around' to mine :!:

Thanks for the Post Charles, keep 'em coming :D

Cheers :wink:

Rich 8)

Return to “The Workshop”