Wet Distributor

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 89 2.2 Hilux DC

Wet Distributor

Post by freeflyd »

Hi All,

On a recent trip around Botswana I managed to get the inside of my Distributor wet often... (2.2. 4 Y)

I asked the dealers if there was supposed to be a seal between the Distributor cap and bottom, but they said not.

So here is the question: Apart from driving though water really slowly, and shallower than the height of the dizzy, what can I do to prevent water making the points wet and the engine stalling on me in the middle of a muddy puddle in Savute?
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Wet Distributor

Post by Scooter »

freeflyd, the obvious answer is stay away from water but in the event of that not happening try this:

1) carry a can of spray with you, Q20 or the like
2) take a surgical glove and snip two thirds of the fingers off, remove the HT Leads from the 'dissy', place the HT leads through the fingers and back onto the dissy (remember to mark which is which or water will be the least of your problems), pull the palm part of the glove over the rest of the dissy to seal it :!:

Hope it helps
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Freeflyd,

Some of the 4Y's have an electronic dizzi, these DO have a thin(and filmsy) seal that sits between the base and dizzi cap. This seal is an OE part only, so expect to pay through your nose. The alternative described by scooter is very effective, alot cheaper and will probably outlive the flimsy OE seal.

Bretton
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

The electronic dizzys with the integrated coil definitively has a seal between the cap and the chassis of the dizzy, but it may be true that the convensional one hasn't. The obvious choise would be to get an electronic one and sommer get rid of the point and condenser blues as well. :wink: I save a complete one at the engine importers in PTA for R1K a while back, but you may be lucky and get one at a scrapyard for cheaper. I am also hunting for one at this stage for F_D's bakkie.

Q20 helps to displace the water inside the dizzy and on plugs and plug wire connections.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

My 4Y has been modified to fit the new Intergrated coil dizzy. Known as the 4y-E dizzy. It does have a seal in the cap fitted and have submerged mine up to windscreen depth in water with out a snorkel and she did not get wet inside.

I bought mine from Sump spares in springs last year for about R 750-00. Not a toyota part but it works perfect and has the same cap.

Just my 2 cents of worth.
Johan Marais
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 89 2.2 Hilux DC

Post by freeflyd »

So Electronic is the way to go....

Is it as easy as buying one from Midas and fitting it in the place of the old dizzy?

Excuse my ignorance...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

If you are happy with your vehicle on points and condensers, then the glove option will work perfectly. But if you like tinkering then go with the electronic dizzi. One of the cool things about the electronic dizzi is that all the electronics are housed internally, like the coil, as it's less prone to water/moisture related problems.

Bretton
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

The procedure is quite simple.

Remove the dizzy cap and note the position of the rotor.

Remove the bolt that locks the dizzy in place and pull it out.

Open the new dizzy and reinsert it into the same hole while ensuring the rotor shaft goes in at the right tooth position so that is stands at exactly the place it was before.

Remove the + wire from the old coil and connect it to the red wire on the new dizzy.

The other wire on the coil comes from the old dizzy's points and condenser and it should also be connected to the rev counter's wire. This wire from the rev counter now goes to the black wire on the dizzy.

Reconnect the vacuum pipe from the carb

All you now need to do is set the timing (normally 10 BTDC at idle speed) with a timing light.

Return to “The Workshop”