Thermostat replacement

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Thermostat replacement

Post by BenHur »

What brand name "aftermarket" or OE replacement thermostat should I look for to replace a Toyota Thermostat. I don't feel like being ripped of by the stealers
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Re: Thermostat replacement

Post by Knersus »

Bennie daai goed glo ek bly jy maar by die origional Toyota produk :)
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Bennie,

In my younger days (last year), I bought one at Midas (for Shorty) and couldn't fit it, so I took it back. They gave me another one, which didn't fit either. I then went to Oranje Toyota and bought a genuine one, which had a slightly diferent shape, but still didn't fit. I asked the Sales guy in the Spares dept what was going on, and he referred me to the workshop. I showed the Mechanic the thermostat, and explained the problem to him, showing him that there-is-no-way-in-hell that the thermostat fitted into the top thermostat housing.

He took one sympathetic look at me before explaining that it does, in fact, fit perfectly in the bottom hose fitting, at the side of the engine :oops: :oops: :oops:

Well I never!!!! Image

Back in the days when cars were cars and engines were 6-cylinder petrol, thermostats *always* fitted into the top housing, just next to the radiator. I didn't know that Toyota decided to change that :)

I think Midas charged me R85 while the genuine article was about twice that price. I think I still have the Midas one, kept it as a spare.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

On the Camry it fits into the pipe that exits (or is that now enters) the water pump. Just like my old Golf GTi the water pump is also not fitted inside the block but inside an external housing. Phoned the stealers 2day, they surprisingly only want R 190 for a new one.

What a surprise after they quoted me R500+ for a 4Y water temp sensor, R 1100+ for a 3RZ Intake Air Sensor, R280 for 8 small O-rings (3RZ injector seals), R 1100+ for a 4Y coil and R 2400+ for the two Camry bottom engine mountings (cant even remembered how much they wanted to rip me off for the top one :x :x ) :shock: :shock:

Return to “The Workshop”