What is involved in a SAS conversion ?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Greenhorn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2700i SRX Hilux

What is involved in a SAS conversion ?

Post by Greenhorn »

What is involved in a SAS conversion ? and what is the estimated cost?

Do you need to find a front and rear diffs, or can you match one up with the current rear diff ?
Is their changes to the prop shaft ?
....etc ...

Thanks
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Re: What is involved in a SAS conversion ?

Post by swifty »

There are 2 options: A leaf spring conversion (like the old Hilux SFA) or a coil spring conversion (like the Landcruiser 80).

You need to source a solid front axle from a pre '98 Hilux. The diff ratio can be changed to 4.55 in front to match the 2.7 rear ratio, or the 2.7 rear ratio can be changed to 4.875 to match the solid front axle. The latter is preferred if you plan to go to 33" or 35" tyres.

Cruiser ventilated discs must be fitted in order to use the original 2.7 calipers. Wheel spacers are also used in order to widen the front track to the original width. The prop shaft must be modified (longer).

Cost (without the front axle) can be anything between R17k and R25k.

Martin
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

And a cross over steering would be an added advantage as well as a modified trac bar that you can buy from Snake racing in Australia.

But you must ask yourself, what are my long term goals with this vehicle?

The reason why I say this is because you will not waste money on item,s along the way to the various mods that you end up doing.

You will not be able to use the std existing power steering box.
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

Simon, the existing power steering box stays.

See this thread for installation instructions of a ready made SAS kit you can buy in the States:

http://www.allprooffroad.com/index.php? ... view&id=64

Martin
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Post by Numbnut »

Hi

Is there any SAS kits (coil conversion) available in SA, who sells them, does anyone do it in CPT and what
is the cost involved now in the near 2010???

Thx
Daniel
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

I see this is being discussed by every IFS owner that takes his vehicle off road. IFS just does not cut it off road. I thought it was just the Nissan's, but I see the Mitsu guys and even Hummer :twisted: has a problem with the Inferior Front Suspension...

Hope it is easier for you than for us. We have the never ending problem of the diff pumpkin sitting on the wrong side for our SFA conversion. We are already looking at Jeep and Moggie diffs that seem to be the closest fit so far.

I will be watching this thread as I have a friend in Parys who has just put his Hilux up on blocks again after breaking and bending things IFS :crazy:
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Bfreesani wrote:I see this is being discussed by every IFS owner that takes his vehicle off road. IFS just does not cut it off road. I thought it was just the Nissan's, but I see the Mitsu guys and even Hummer :twisted: has a problem with the Inferior Front Suspension...

Hope it is easier for you than for us. We have the never ending problem of the diff pumpkin sitting on the wrong side for our SFA conversion. We are already looking at Jeep and Moggie diffs that seem to be the closest fit so far.

I will be watching this thread as I have a friend in Parys who has just put his Hilux up on blocks again after breaking and bending things IFS :crazy:
And we've got ourselves to blame ... well the consumer public, that is .... and more specifically, the yuppie and tar road 4x4'ers. They were the ones that complained the most about the ride comfort and sadly make up a very sizeable chunk of the 4x4 market. The manufacturers just followed the market trends and introduced the softer, more comfortable IFS .... not exactly a slouch, but cannot stand up to the same rigours as an SFA. :(
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Numbnut »

With all the advances made in SFA coil suspension technology on the Land Cruisers and even LR in the past
11 Years since the old Hilux SFA leaf spring was discontinued, a guy would think that Toyota would pick up
that the 4x4 users of their vehicles are not happy with IFS and that more and more people are concidering
the SAS!!

You would think that they will go back to their dusty old archives, retreive the designs and specs of the old SFA
Hilux and resurrect it from the bowls of their factories and bring out a coil suspension SFA Hilux!! A Hilux that
has all the modern day bells & whistles as the new IFS Hilux, but not as m-*-f-f-i-e off road, and all the strength and
ruggedness of the Land Cruisers, but not as ugly and square!!

O what a glorius day that will be for all!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

PS: Sorry for hijacking your thread Greenhorn!! :D:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

but not as ugly and square!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

To me, the beauty of the old Hilux's and Cruisers lies in their square shape...! :thumbup:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Numbnut »

Sorry FD, but I was only referring to the old Land Cruisers, not the old Hilux shape! I also like the old
Hilux shape, but I am New Generation and we like Style! Taste differs.... :lol: :lol:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

but I am New Generation and we like Style!
Yep, me too! That's why I like the sexy shape of the SFA.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Numbnut »

:clap: :lol: :clap: :lol: ....... Spoken like a true Hilux man!!!
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/96-02_4runner.html

For all those wanting Coil spring suspensions...

Return to “The Workshop”