Differentials Explained

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Differentials Explained

Post by Mr_B »

Hi, this video helped me understand differentials... simple enough for mechanical idiots like me to understand...

I'm a little wiser today! :thumbup:
Last edited by CasKru on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed to run youtube local
mandevu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: polokwane
Vehicle: hilux

Re: Differentials Explained

Post by mandevu »

same here caskru :thumbup: :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImage
as dit nie n toyota is nie........... dan is ek nie verslaaf nie
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

That is a good video Bretton. I also use it in our training to explain the workings of differentials :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
mandevu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: polokwane
Vehicle: hilux

Post by mandevu »

sorry ...ment mr b :blushing:
ImageImageImageImage
as dit nie n toyota is nie........... dan is ek nie verslaaf nie
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

This video has been posted before, and it's an excellent tutorial for the lay person, so the clip should perhaps be put up as a sticky in "Useful tips & info". IIRC I have a copy on disc myself.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hilux01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D dc 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X85

Post by Hilux01 »

Wow this makes it seem even more simple than what I have been trying to explain to everyone evertime this topic came up.

2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D dc 4x4
Bush Lapa Miskruier 810
Gerbers Alu Canopy
ORRA Call Sign: X85
WayneMan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Joburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZTE 4x4 DC

Post by WayneMan »

Jolly bloody good. Now it makes sense !!!
Now I must look for the video which explains center diff and drive shafts.

Thanks
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Centre diff is the same, just been rotated 90 degrees and sits in the gear box. It does to the front and rear wheels what a normal diff does to the left and right wheel.

Your Hilux dont have a centre diff, it has a solid shaft. Centre diffs are used for permanent 4WD vehicles so that you can use 4WD on tar. If you go around a corner there will also be a difference between the front and rear wheels and the centre diff have to deal with that the same way a normal diff deal with the difference between left and right

That is why you must not operate your Hilux on a hard surface or on tar because it has no diff in the centre that can accommodate that difference in speed. It is a solid connection and it relies on wheel slippage to accommodate the difference.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
4x4ForLife
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Tata Xenon

Post by 4x4ForLife »

Ah ha. Now I get it. I am really technically/mechanically challenged and have never managed to get my head around the whole differential thing. Now does anyone know how a Limited Slip Diff works, since that is what my Tata Xenon has?
I love my Tata Xenon!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

4x4ForLife wrote:Ah ha. Now I get it. I am really technically/mechanically challenged and have never managed to get my head around the whole differential thing. Now does anyone know how a Limited Slip Diff works, since that is what my Tata Xenon has?
This may help explain:
4WD - four-wheel drive

Also known as part-time all-wheel drive, this system has an open differential on the front and rear axle and a transfer case on the output from the gearbox. Typically 4WD is normally driving the rear axle with the front axle only coming into play in 4WD mode. The transfer case is the device that splits the torque between the front and rear axles. It typically has some sort of selectable internal differential or viscous coupling to allow the front and rear drives to turn at different speeds if need be. Some trucks and SUVs have a selector with 2H, 4H and 4L on it - it looks like a second gear shift. This is actually controlling how the front and rear outputs of the transfer case get locked together. In 2H mode (2-wheel drive, high), it essentially disconnects the front output completely and only drives the rear axle. In 4H mode (4-wheel drive, high), it engages the front output via the viscous coupling so that the axles can turn at different speeds, and now sends torque to both open differentials. In 4L mode (4-wheel drive, low) it engages a second set of reduction gears and locks the front and rear axles together so they must spin at the same speed. This would be bad for on-road driving because it does not allow any difference in speed between the front and rear wheels, so you'd often get dragging and slipping which would make the car essentially unsafe to drive. However, locking everything together like this and reducing the gear ratio makes perfect sense for off-roading, which is why it's an option. However, with open differentials, it's still entirely possible to get stuck with a 4WD vehicle. If you're off-roading and the front-left and rear-right wheels both leave the ground together (for example), then the torque will all be sent to those wheels and they'll spin helplessly in the air. Locking, limited-slip or Torsen differentials solve this but add weight, complexity and cost to the system.
Locking hubs On older 4WD systems, the front wheels could only be engaged to the transfer case by locking hubs. Essentially the transfer case was always sending torque to the front driveshaft and had no viscous coupling. To get into 4WD mode, the driver had to stop and get out, and lock the front wheels to the axles so they could be driven. In newer 4WD systems, the lockable hubs are still present on some models, but are designed more for mechanical sympathy and fuel economy than anything else. With the hubs onlocked, the whole front part of the drive system isn't being dragged along for the ride, which causes mechanical wear and a drop in fuel economy.

AWD - all-wheel drive type 1

Finally, all-wheel drive or full-time 4WD. Found mostly on sportier cars, but also on some SUVs, there are two types of AWD, both designed to try to overcome the problems with 4WD. The simplest form has two open differentials - one on each axle - and a viscous coupling between. The engine drives the gearbox which drives two output shafts. One goes to the front open differential and the other goes to the viscous coupling, the output of which is connected to the rear open differential. Under normal conditions, this type of AWD system functions exactly like a 2WD car, driving only the front axle (unlike a 4WD which normally drives the rear axle). Lower end Subarus and some of the Honda trucks use this system. The front wheels turn at a certain rate, and the rear wheels are dragged along for the ride. Both halves of the viscous coupling are spinning at the same speed so no torque is sent to the rear axle. If the front wheels begin to slip and spin, the input to the front of the viscous coupling begins to spin faster than the rear and because of its torque-converter-like design, this causes the rear output to want to speed up. At this point, the drivetrain is now transferring torque to the rear axle and the car starts to function in AWD mode. Actally, AWD is a bit of a misnomer at this point, because unless the car has limited-slip differentials front and rear, it's still only really driving two wheels in this mode - the one on the front and the one on the rear axles that have the most traction. That leads us nicely on to.....

AWD - all-wheel drive type 2

This is the other type of AWD found on higher-end Subarus, rally cars, expensive sports sedans and such. Very similar to the type 1 AWD, it replaces the viscous coupling with a Torsen differential, and replaces the open differentials front and rear with either Torsen or limited-slip differentials. This is the only true all-wheel-drive system because it will always drive all four wheels. It's also bloody expensive and it saps gas-mileage because of all the extra drag induced in the driveline. But then if you're into performance off-roading, gas-mileage really isn't your primary concern.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

A LSD has an auto clutch system, (very much like that of the small auto motorbikes). It allows slippage for turns but as soon as the slippage is more it kicks in and transfers drive to the 'static' wheel.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Genissie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hartenbos
Vehicle: LC 80, 4500
Club VHF Licence: X254

Post by Genissie »

awesome, even i get it now and does not have to act as if i "know"
Samurai 20v
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D 4x4 A/T

Post by Samurai 20v »

Interesting stuff
2016 Hilux D/Cab 2.8 GD6 4x4 A/T
2014 Auris 1.6 XR
1994 Supra RZ Twin Turbo 6 speed
2015 Hilux D/Cab 3.0 D4d 4x4 L45 A/T - (EX)
2014 Hilux D/Cab 3.0 D4d 4x4 Raider Auto - (EX)
2014 Hilux D/Cab 3.0 D4d 4x4 Raider Auto - (EX)
2013 Hilux D/Cab 3.0 D4d 4x4 Raider - (EX)
2013 Corolla 1.6 Sprinter - (EX)
2012 Corolla 1.6 Sprinter - (EX)
2009 Corolla 1.8 Exclusive - (EX)
2002 Corolla RXi 20V - (EX)
2008 Auris 2.0 D4D RX (EX)
2007 Lexus IS250 (EX)
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

:subscribed: :subscribed: :subscribed:

So leer mens elke dag iets nuuts
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by JAMES399 »

Where is the video mentioned in the first post. It is nowhere to be found on my screen

- JAMES
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Return to “The Workshop”